Daniel Chopra

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Daniel Chopra - PGA Tour (chat postponed)

Post by ajay »

Unfortunately, the recent disturbing turn of events means that the we cannot have a chat session right now. It has been a stressful month and hopefully things will get better with time.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

ajay wrote: Unfortunately, the recent disturbing turn of events means that the we cannot have a chat session right now. It has been a stressful month and hopefully things will get better with time.
Thanks Ajay for your efforts to put together a chat session with Daniel Chopra.  We could let him know that we would not ask him any questions about Atwal's accident if a chat session is arranged in the future.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Re: Daniel Chopra - Shell Houston Open

Post by kujo »

Daniel starts off with 2 birdies in the first two holes of Shell Houston Open 2007. A great start to this week's PGA tournament. The competition strength is weak due to the upcoming Masters.

Only 30 players from top 100 world golf ranking are in the field for Houston Open. Compare that to last week's playing field for World Golf Championships - 68 players from top 100 competed then.

Go Daniel!! Grab this opportunity.

cheers
-kujo
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Quote from Daniel's blog:

I've been walking him some, but Sam's done the yeoman's duty with Cosmo. She says she's training the dog and me at the same time.

Go Sam!!  Train him not to get DQed, will ya? ;)

cheers
-kujo

ps: that was a bit tongue in cheek. I know it is really bad / mad / sad for Sam and Dan to be in such a situation.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

ajay wrote:
T15 Daniel Chopra 70 68 75 68 -7  $ 103,700.00
A good finish by Daniel and a good pay check for him this week.
And did you notice the incredible "Hole in One" by Daniel on par 3 17th!

Hole    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 OUT 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOT
Par    4  5  3  4  4  4  5  4  3  36  4  5  4  4  3  4  4  3  5  36 72
Rnd4    4  4  3  3  3  4  5  4  3  33  4  4  5  4  2  5  5  1  5  35 68
Status -1 -2 -2 -3 -4 -4 -4 -4 -4  --  E -1  E  E -1  E  1 -1 -1  -- -4
I believe that this is Daniel's first hole-in-one since turning pro.  I remember reading at his old website (the new one is still under construction) that he recorded his first and only hole-in-one when he was an amateur.  Can anyone verify this information of mine?
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

BSharma wrote:
ajay wrote:
T15 Daniel Chopra 70 68 75 68 -7  $ 103,700.00
A good finish by Daniel and a good pay check for him this week.
And did you notice the incredible "Hole in One" by Daniel on par 3 17th!

Hole    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 OUT 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOT
Par     4  5  3  4  4  4  5  4  3  36  4  5  4  4  3  4  4  3  5  36 72
Rnd4    4  4  3  3  3  4  5  4  3  33  4  4  5  4  2  5  5  1  5  35 68
Status -1 -2 -2 -3 -4 -4 -4 -4 -4  --  E -1  E  E -1  E  1 -1 -1  -- -4
I believe that this is Daniel's first hole-in-one since turning pro.  I remember reading at his old website (the new one is still under construction) that he recorded his first and only hole-in-one when he was an amateur.  Can anyone verify this information of mine?
Daniel should sign this score card and frame it somewhere! An ACE on 17th hole on the last day of play!!

Looks like the training from Sam is working. ;)

cheers
-kujo
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Remember, Daniel was DQed at Hilton Head after first round. So what happened?
Read on.
Interesting situation during the opening round of play at the Verizon Heritage. Daniel Chopra was disqualified (DQ) for a rules violation after signing his scorecard and posting a 1-under par 70. Chopra was disqualified for an improper drop on the 17th hole (pictured). The picturesque par 3 features a 90-yard waste bunker that protects wayward shots that are hit left into the marsh. The head or crosswinds that are often prevalent can easily carry a shot into the lagoon, which is what happened to Chopra’s tee-shot.

In taking his drop at the point of entrance, Chopra’s ball rolled into the sand bunker. Chopra must have made the assumption that he could not drop his ball into another hazard, so he re-dropped into the fairway on the same path of entrance to the hazard. His mistake should have been scored a 2-stroke penalty, and what has to be questioned here is why didn’t he or one of his fellow competitors ask for assistance and a ruling. Have to believe most pro golfers and caddies know the rules of golf, and if Chopra or his fellow competitor and marker (score keeper) didn’t know the rule, why didn’t they ask for help?

Rule 26 (water hazards) section 1C in the Rules of Golf states that: As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

Since the entire length of the bunker was within the 2-club length drop area, Chopra should have played the drop from the bunker. He also had the option to re-tee from the original tee-box and take a 1 stroke-and-distance penalty since there is not a specific drop area.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

ajay wrote: Remember, Daniel was DQed at Hilton Head after first round. So what happened?
Good find Ajay!

They say that golf rules are very clear, simple, only a small handbook that fits in your palm, etc.  I read that rule couple of times and still can understand it only vaguely! :)

No wonder the Pros do make a mistake once in a while and get DQ'ed.

-kujo
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Daniel is taking a week off from the Tour and it is quite uncharacteristic of him not to play 5 or 6 weeks in a row.  Perhaps he is gearing to the following week when the Tour returns to Florida and to Vijay Singh's backyard.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Sometime back, Ajay had asked if a Sports-India member would be interested in running Daniel Chopra’s official golf website.  Unfortunately, Dan’s website is still down, but I was reading my local newspaper today and it reported about a website of an LPGA Tour golfer who was in my city to play at a LPGA Tour tournament last week.  Check out the website of Giulia Sergas and make sure you turn on the speakers and have a fast Internet connection.  Should Daniel Chopra go for something like Giulia’s website?  :roll:

http://www.giuliasergas.it/
Scott

Re: Daniel Chopra thread

Post by Scott »

I am so glad I came across this site.  I have been trying to find out why Chopra was disquaillifed at Hilton Head and thats is how I found this site.  Thanks Ajay for that info.  I can sleep now.  I followed Cho's group that played here at the John Deere Classic in 06 and I have been a fan ever since.  I haven't heard yet if he will be retuning in 07 to JDC.  I really hope to get to see him play again in person.  I learn alot watching him play.  If he does play here July 12th, 07. I will give everyone updates on his round or rounds if I can get out of work.  He was keeping a blog from the tour on Fox Sports Golf.com but I cannot find it anymore.  Maybe it was only for two tournaments.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

After a good earned two weeks rest, Daniel will play next at Turning Stone Resort Championship of the PGA Tour a week following the PGA Tour Championship.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Dan played superbly at the Valero Open in San Antonio, Texas this week and finished third in a two-way tie.  His rounds of 65, 69 64 and 66 showed his consistent good form all four days and this should give him the confidence to win his first PGA Tour title.  He will play in next week's Fry's.com Open in Las Vegas and then there are three more tournaments left on the schedule for this year.  The last tournament of 2007 PGA Tour is at Lake Buena Vista and he can live in his house and go out to participate in the tournament.

Good luck, Dan.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Superb T-3 by Daniel!  His 261 K payday is one of his best ever and also moves him to 97th in the money standings -- guaranteeing him his full card for next year.
Prem

Post by Prem »

woohoo Excellent stuff from.
Delivering under pressure. Thats good stuf.
Dan would have been out of top 125, if he had another bad week.
But he delivers and hope this also inspires Arjun to pull off something special this week at Vegas.