Jyoti Randhawa thread

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Prem
Please enter the middle number: 1

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by Prem »

Here is a first by an Indian Golfer.
Asking for appearance fee to play an Indian tournament.
Surprisingly the organisers refused to pay, and Jyoti doesnt play.
Here is the article....interesting development.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 065667.cms
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by BSharma »

Interesting development in Indian golf.

Read Prem's post on the previous page, and see the link to a newspaper article (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 065667.cms).

Any comments from our forum members?

Should we start a new thread to discuss it?

(Thanks Prem)
Red_Indian

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by Red_Indian »

It's been all over the newspapers today.

I think it's only fair, and I guess only a matter of time before someone asked for it. "We do not pay appearance fees for domestic players" - is that bias or what? By that argument Woods shouldn't get a penny as appearance fees from any tournament in US :roll:
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by BSharma »

The US PGA Tour does not pay appearance fees to the golfers but the organizers reward the golfers handsomely with perks - choice of free Mercedes car including the color and make for the week; free out of town tours for spouces or significant others; free food during the tournament for golfers/family/caddies; etc.

Most other Tours do pay appearance money to some big name golfer. Is Indian Golf Tour rich enough to pay Jyoti or Arjun Atwal or Jeev? Can Jyoti draw enough paying fans to the course? I do not know the answers but I would like to hear more from people in India like Kunal, Swamy, Fatty Mehra, etc.

We need a two way street in Indian golf - the Indian Tour helping the upcoming golfers, and the established golfers helping the Indian Tour get better by getting their Tour buddies from other countries to come to India for selected tournaments. A problem is that the big tournament in India has been cancelled for lack of sponsorship, I think.
Red_Indian

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by Red_Indian »

Thanks for that info BBS (hope that's fine!) - I didn't know that the (US) PGA tour had a no appearance fees policy. But I was just citing Woods as an example in any case, albeit having his appearance fees in mind for the SAP/ Deutsch bank open, Mercedes cup(?) and the likes on the EPGA tour. (Now that I think about it all figures I had read were in relation to EPGA events).

But I'm sure the no appearance fees is, well, just a facade. I am sure the top players are "treated better" than the "journeymen" (pardon my french). If not for the official events, the players are paid for "corporate events" on Tuesdays where, as we came to know recently, you could play with Vijay Singh and the likes if you could cough up half a million dollars. Of course, then the players just "happen" to be around, so they might as well stick around for the tournament starting Thursday as well. It would be naive to think that the top players are paid no appearance fees don't you agree?

From what I read about Jyoti, he probably wanted to take a break this week but when he was invited to play in this tournament, he thought I should be paid for my "trouble" in participating in (with due respect) a lower profile event compared to the prizes he's been fighting for week in, week out. Don't get me wrong, I do agree he should play in SOME Indian tour events, and I think he does - let's leave the choice to him though. I thought the reaction of the organizers was a little bit overboard. Well, fine, don't pay him. If you think Indian golf does not have the kind of money to start paying appearance fees, fine. But let's not hang the guy for asking is all I am saying!

I have no idea of the kind of money that is around in Indian golf (I admit that), so, like I said, it's only fair if the organizers think they'd rather use it as prize money for encouraging other golfers or whatever. Besides, I don't think Jyoti's or even Vijay Singh's participation would have helped the organizers at this stage - it was too late for any (new) sponsors to step in I think, and I doubt ticket sales (if there's such a thing) form a huge part of a tournament's revenue (atleast in India at this stage, not sure abt elsewhere).

There's a larger issue involved here of course. But the fact is that money rules sports today (like perhaps every other sphere of life). The purists might disagree or not like it, but that's a fact. So if you're asking me, then let me tell you, in an ideal world there would be no such thing as appearance fees. But...
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by BSharma »

I am in favor of Jyoti getting money in Indian tournaments. I think that Jyoti, Arjun Atwal and Jeev have earned their right. (Daniel is another Indian golfer in the same category although he carries the tag of Sweden for a good reason.)

Tiger Woods appearance money has gone up to $3 million. I think that Ernie Els is the current favorite all over the world since Tiger has priced himself out at some events.

Kunal, you are correct that the tournament organizers in USA give a lot of perks to the golfers but do not call it appearance money. I think that the US PGA tournaments treat the golfers very well, and no wonder that Arjun Atwal wants to play on the US PGA Tour and not on the NW Tour.

Although the top players are treated differently from the rest of the crowd on the US PGA Tour, everyone is treated so royally that no one minds if Vijay, Tiger, Phil, Ernie and Retief are treated differently.

(BBS or Bhushan are fine with me. :D )
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by ajay »

Are these tournament organizers making money from the tournament? If yes then Jyoti is perfectly right in asking for appearance money. As I understand, these tournaments are sponsored event. So the sponsors should take a decision to set aside some fund for the appearance of big stars.

Jyoti asked for Rs. 5 Lakhs. Probably it could have been negotiated and Jyoti could be brought in with Rs. 1 Lakh. May be the organizers didn't want to set the precedent, but sooner or later that is the only way to attract big stars. Otherwise, what is the motivation for these players to participate in small tournaments.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by BSharma »

Jyoti will be in Malaysia to play on Wednesday 6th and Thursday 7th April in the qualifying tournament for the British Open.

Good luck.
PKBasu

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by PKBasu »

After his poor first round, Jyoti didn't bother playing the second round today. None of the Indians qualified at Saujana:

http://inhome.rediff.com/sports/2005/apr/07golf.htm
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by jaydeep »

:mad: in no mood of making comments also.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by jaydeep »

Good luck to Jyoti and Amandeep Johl for Dynasty Cup which in begining tomorrow.

Jaydeep.
gansy

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by gansy »

http://www.usga.org/news/qualifying/2005/onocity.html

any reason Jyothi & Jeev didnt take part in this?

Is sectional qualifying diff from local qualifying? bcos Jyothi does seem to have an exemption from local qualifying by virtue of being top 100 and winning the Volvo Masters of Asia.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by jaydeep »

Jyoti should took this opportunity .. Ajay can u give us exact picture??? R we missing something???

Jaydeep.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by BSharma »

I went on a long trip looking for Jyoti. First I went to Ono City in Japan and then took a side trip to Miyagi prefecture, Japan. I felt that it would be a waste of time to look for Jyoti in Asia since the Asian Tour is on hold for a few weeks. I headed to Surrey, England but Jyoti was no where to be seen. A quick trip to Wales ended up with no sighting also. I headed back to USA and went to Hawaii, California, Colorado, Ohio, Texas, Illinois, Maryland, Georgia, New Jersey and Washington but had no luck. Jyoti is not playing on the EPGA, JPGA or PGA Tour this week.

WHERE ARE YOU, JYOTI. ???
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Jyoti Randhawa - US Open

Post by ajay »

Wow Bhushan! You had a world tour in matter of minutes. Very interesting. After reading your mail, I realized that yesterday I also had a similar tour (but not that extensive :)) and I updated my findings at golf.sports-india.com.
Current Week

Jun 2 - Jun 5

PGA: Memorial Tournament (Jun 2-5) Vijay singh, Arjun Atwal
Asian Tour: Break
Japan PGA: JCB Classic Sendai (Jun 2-5)JeevMilkha Singh
Well! Jyoti is just taking a break. May be some family occasion or something. Hopefully, he'll be back next week.