Smriti Mehra - gets 2008 LPGA Tour conditional card

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

fattymehra
Please enter the middle number: 1

Hi

Post by fattymehra »

Hi Bhushan & Ajay
My name is Sanjeev Mehra and i am the brother of Simi everyone calls me Fatty so there you go. Yes I play golf and do everymorning ..I am one of the top national golfers in the country and play as an amateur as i do not have the time to play all events so i play about 2-3 events in a year and have been the winner of one national event in the country copule of years ago.
i love this game and we have been playing this game in opur family sine ce we were born i think. Girls do play golf in the country however the level is not taht good and certainly the advantage that simi had , the rest will never have. The greates advantage with SImi was that she hit the ball really long and that was because she played with all teh guys and we made her play of the mens tees ..have you guys ever played the Royal Calcutta golf club from the championship tees it is really long 7300 yds .
She is a natural and never had a lesson until she made it to the LPGA and the sad thing is that there were never any people from india or indians anywhere in teh world to back her.

Ironically it was my friends from Bngladesh & Pakistan the Isapahni Family from Bangladesh --Sajid Salman & Shakir 7 their cousin ZIa Mahmood the famous bridge player who got to gether and gave Simi the money to play in the US...thats how it started and then came Arvind Khanna who put his money behind her..

No corporates and no one else who has helped her she has done it on her own and kudos to her and my parents who have stuck with her.

I caddied for her in 94 on the futures tour for the first time when she was there and let me tyell you that it is very tough out there even when she played on teh Lpga thiose girls are awesome it is unthinkable that a girl from india cna make it . I believe that we will not see another woman on teh tour for a very long timne.

Arjun & Simi are best of friends and used to bunk school yogether and play golf and ironically today they stay next to each other and are teh support for each other with tehir spouses..it is great fun i am sure for them ..Daniel and i were best of friends and we toured India together and evn got banned from the angalore golf club years ago..we were roomies and had some great times ..Daniel is going to roost on the tour for a long time his determination and cockiness will keep him there he has also come up the hard way..

Anyway Simi is recovering and we will see how her wrist pans out in the coming week..let me know where you guys come from ...and what you guys do ..also i worked and was the first employee in Tiger Sports Marketing and Joy used to work with me he is a great friend and a good writer
regards
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Smriti Mehra - LPGA/Futures Tour

Post by BSharma »

oops, fattymehra turns out to be Smriti's brother and not her sister! :oops: I am sorry for calling you Smriti's sister.

I am glad to hear that Smriti's wrist is improving and hopefully she will be back on the tour soon. It is unfortunate that the injury occurred when she was playing so well.

It is heartening to note that the people in Pakistan and Bangladesh helped Smriti in her golfing career.The south-east asian region can become more prosperous if these countries become more cooperative and helpful to each other. If it can happen on a personal level, why not at the national level. :Offtopic:

It is good to know that you are an amateur golf champion in India and I am sure all of us can learn from your expertise. I do not play golf (unusual for a physician in USA) but I write in this forum as if I am a golfer and know what I am talking. :D The truth is that I read a lot about sports, play some sports other than golf, and pretend to be a golf analyst (he he). Jay started this forum with the help of Dhruv, and I guess one of the requirements of being a moderator at Sports-India is to not play that sport (Jay claims that he does not play tennis but in my opinion he knows more about tennis and can dissect a match like a pro. :D ) Only PKB who moderates the economic forum is a world renowned economist, and the rest of us are non-professionals in the field of sport that we moderate.

By the way, we have been following Smriti's golfing performance in another thread started by Kris Swamy (INDIAN GOLFERS ON THE MOVE - PLAYING ON FOREIGN TOURS).
fattymehra

Post by fattymehra »

thats ok...have been thought of worse

anyway i told simi about you guys and she was like really shoked and you may hear from her in person when she logs on...you guys should be gibven kuods for waht you guys are doing and wherever you are i am sure that when she gets back on the LPGA u guys acn actually go and watch her play that will be awesome i shall also tell more people about the forum that way the site will get a lot more action
regards
fatty
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

It would be nice to have active participation of players. If Simi joins the forum and contribute here, it would be wonderful. We'll also get a closer glimpse of the life of a pro golfer. We do have players writing in here, for example, our Tennis star Harsh Mankad writes quiet frequently in Tennis forum.

By the way, Daniel, Arjun Atwal, Jeev and Jyoti Randhawa also know about this forum. Daniel has put a link to this forum in his home page. But no one knows how often do they come and read here.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

you guys should be gibven kuods for waht you guys are doing ....
Our job is a lot easier than what the Indian golfers, tennis players, squash players, hockey players, athletes, etc have to do to stay competitive in the world of sports.

The only people whose job is easier than ours are the Indian cricketers. :wink: (just kidding)
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

2004 Final Futures Money List

Rank; Player; # of events played; # of tournaments won; earnings
1. Jimin Kang 18; 2; $51,268
2. Lindsey Wright 15; 2; $45,536
3. Nicole Perrot 18; 2; $38,582
4. Aram Cho 18; 2; $38,153
5. Malinda Johnson 12; 1; $35,356
15. Smriti Mehra 14; 2; $24,373

Smriti Mehra was injured in the last tournament and had to withdraw. A week earlier she had won her second title of the season.

The top 5 golfers earned the 2005 LPGA Tour cards.
fattymehra

Post by fattymehra »

y ai know she is going to go for the q school ..wishing her luck
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It's great to have Smriti's brother in our forum. I had seen the name but hadn't checked his postings until just now. Welcome, fattymehra (although I would much prefer to call you Sanjeev)! It's great to get the inside stories from you about Smriti, Daniel, Arjun, et al...
By the way, Bhushan, please don't call me a world-renowned economist etc. -- because I absolutely am not. I am an economist by profession and moderate that minor thread here, and play tennis and cricket at the club level (golf only rarely, and very poorly indeed). But please don't inflate my professional achievements or lack thereof... (and can we please stop that discussion here, because this is a sports forum... :D :oops: ?).
fattymehra

Post by fattymehra »

hahhahaha
that was a good one mr basu but surely no problems i will keep giving you people the inside track on all three of them
regards
gansy

Smriti Mehra

Post by gansy »

Hi

I chanced upon this discussion forum while surfing the web. Die hard sports fan following all sports especially ones with particiaption by Indians.

I must say that I was disgusted the Indian sports press (from the little that I look at regularly) didnt pay any attention to Smriti Mehra's second win on the Futures tour.

I remember her being close to the lead after the first round of a major 4 or 5 years ago. Nice to see she is getting her form back. Although she missed out on the LPGA card (only top 5 get it), she was one of five players to record multiple wins on the futures tour and only one of those not to get the card. Here is hoping the next season is better.

Does anyone know which events she plans to attend next season? We are based in CT and would be glad to be of any assistance should she play nearby.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Welcome gansy.

If you are an Indian sports fan then you have come to the right place. :D

Smriti's plans will depend on how she does in the LPGA qualifying tournament later this year. I believe that she will get into the LPGA in 2005 and she will be in many LPGA tournaments next year.

Smriti's brother is a forum member also and he has promised to keep us posted with her plans.
radbcc

The first thing she needs to do is:

Post by radbcc »

get on a diet and lose all that fat and get in shape. The reality is that the futures tour is for teens and recent college grads not for 30 somethings. While I certainly give her credit for hanging in there and trying, life on the futures tour is miserable at best and there is no chance of earning a living on that tour (unlike the nationwide tour), but there is a chance of getting back to the lpga via the futures tour.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Smriti Mehra is in the field for the final qualifying tournament of the LPGA in the first week of December at Daytona Beach. This year it will be a 5-day affair and the cut will be after the fourth day (72 holes).

:goodluck: Smriti.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Nice to see that Smriti stick to her original plan and playing LPGA qualifying ... Hopefully she will qualify ... Best luck Smriti.

Jaydeep.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

The pairings for the LPGA Qualifier came out and Smriti Mehra's name is missing!!!

All groups have three golfers except one, which has only two. I wonder if Smriti has withdrawn for some reason.