Jeev Milkha Singh PB WR#28 21March09

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Jeev Milkha Singh (Asia #1) taking rest before British Open

Post by jaydeep »

Fitness mantra is Jeev's new driver
However, in his own words, he has "learnt his lesson". Jeev has resolved never again to play a championship unless he is "100 per cent fit". The flip side is that Jeev has crossed his fingers over prospects of playing the British Open from July 16. Back in the city, Jeev is undergoing ultra-sonic ray therapy.
usaindian

Post by usaindian »

jeev withdraw from this weeks british
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

I think Jeev took the right decision. If he is not fully fit, its better not to play instead of playing and missing the cut and aggravating the injury. I don't know why Jeev played last week - may be he wanted to try out how fit he is? Hopefully, if he gives enough break, he'll return to the tour stronger.

So this year India will be represented by one of the youngest upcoming star Gaganjeet Bhullar. It would be unwise to have too much of expectation from him due to his inexperience. He has hardly played outside Asia and it will tough for him to come to Europe and play. Anyway, it will be a nice experience for him. Good luck Gagan!!!!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Jeev also missed his title defence in the Japan Tour's Nagashima Shigeo Invitational Sega Sammy Cup which started today due to lingering rib injury.

Injured Jeev pulls out of title defence in Japan
"Everything is fine with my game. I just need to strengthen my inter-costal muscle so that it does not affect my swing and play. In another two weeks or so I should be ready for the Tour and travel to US for WGC and then PGA Championships, the last Major."
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Check out Jeev Milkha Singh walks the ramp for a charitable cause. Following his ramp walk, there is a short interview with him where he talks about Gaganjeet Bhullar too.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Jeev Milkha Singh (Asia #1)

Post by ajay »

Jeev can book a spot in International squad for President Cup this week. Read on thisand this.
Aussie world number eight Geoff Ogilvy leads the Internationals followed in order by Fiji's Vijay Singh, Colombia's Camilo Villegas, South Africans Retief Goosen and Ernie Els, Masters champion Angel Cabrera of Argentina and Canada's Mike Weir.

Following Allenby are South Africans Tim Clark and Rory Sabbatini in the most vulnerable spots on the list.

India's Jeev Milkha Singh, hoping to become India's first Cup player, is ranked 41st, just one place behins Sabbatini and an automatic berth.
Note that Jeev is ahead of Adam Scott
Also in the hunt but needing big weeks at Hazeltine are Japan's Shingo Katayama, Aussies Adam Scott and Mathew Goggin and Thailand's Thongchai Jaidee, who would be the first player from his homeland in the Cup as well.
Note that the following report is old and he is no longer on the 10th spot.
One of golf’s globe-trotters who enjoys competing on all the leading tours around the world, Singh is also poised to become the first Indian to compete in the Presidents Cup.

The leading 10 players in the Internationals rankings after the PGA Championship automatically qualify for the Oct. 8-11 team event at San Francisco’s Harding Park Golf Course and Singh occupies the 10th spot.

“I would love it to get in,” he said. “I love team events like that and the Presidents Cup is the only team event besides the Ryder Cup which is really big for us guys.

“I would love to be part of the team and contribute as an Indian and hopefully with that encourage other players coming out of India that if I can do it, a lot more can do it.”
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Jeev Milkha Singh thread ... Asia #1, WR#34

Post by ajay »

ajay wrote: It is a great achievement to be # 1 in Asia! Well done Jeev!
Next landmark for Jeev:
Jeev Milkha Singh wrote:I have a good chance to secure my US PGA Tour card for the next year, and the first step towards that is to attain the Special Temporary Membership (STM),
However, we'll have to wait for it for few more weeks when Jeev'll be back in US to play the next Major - US Open. Jeev's current PGA earning is $519,395 and he need another $18,563.00 to reach the target of $537,958 for STM. Track Jeev's PGA earning for this year at Yahoo's Player page

Probably a top 50 finish at US Open will get him to this target. But he should'nt worry about this and instead he should be thinking bigger to finish in top 10 in US Open.
Well, after last week's WGC event, Jeev has crossed the target of $537,958 for STM. His total earning is now $560145. So does he have STM? I haven't seen any report regarding this.
usaindian

Post by usaindian »

ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Yes I see that there are only two players with STM - Ross Fisher, Graeme McDowell. I don't understand why Jeev is not here. Now if you see on pratour site, they don't count the money from WGC event. If that's the case, Jeev is nowhere near STM as the bulk of his money has come from his 4th finish in WGC event. But that would be very unfair. Or may be Jeev has to officially take some action before he gets it formally.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Investigating little more, Ross Fisher has only $462,787 without WGC event. So he won't qualify without the contribution of WGC events. With WGC he has $1,060,787 as his major chunk of money come from 4th finish at WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship. Similarly for Graeme the numbers are $494,883 and $629,317 without and with WGC events

In that case Jeev should be eligible for STM
usaindian

Post by usaindian »

i think you have to take some action and accept it ,because rory of ireland rejected it
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Looks like Jeev has been left out of the President's cup team for this year.
Glover, Mahan, Ishikawa and Scott picked for Presidents Cup
While Norman's decision to pick Scott was something of a question mark, he didn't have a huge pool from which to choose. Among those left off the team were Rory Sabbatini, K.J. Choi and Jeev Milkha Singh.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Sad! But Jeev couldn't make a case for himself with a bad 3+ last round in the European tour. A good performance could have earned him the call. Hard luck!
Prem

Post by Prem »

Bad luck as he got injured when he was inside the top 10.
As he missed one month due to injury, he slipped out of top 10 and to make hi scase weak YANG won the last Major and thus pushing Jeev to 12th place. If he had remained 11th, he had more chance of being picked as Greg would have covered another big geographical area by choosing Jeev. He has gone for Japan instead of India ?? Hard luck Jeev. Hope this spurs him on and he wins some event between now and the Presidents Cup.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

With $174,600 pay check, Jeev's earning for PGAtour in this year is now $815,532. This is between the earning of 95th and 96th placed players in the current year. At the end of the year, Jeev's earning should be more than 125th placed player in the money list.

Last 3 years, the 125th place player on the moneylist have earned $660,898,$785,180, $852,752. Projecting the earning, probably this time the 125th player may earn around $950,000. So Jeev must target to earn about $135,000 more on PGA tour.

After a week rest, Jeev is scheduled to play Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals For Children Open from 15th - 18th October. Hopefully, Jeev will seal his PGA card then. :goodluck: