Shubhankar Sharma thread- India #1, WR #64 in Mar. 2018

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Shubhankar Sharma thread- India #1, WR #64 in Mar. 2018

Post by jayakris »

Just 21 year old, but he won the big one today! Starting the thread off. You all put the details in. I am too sleepy and going back to sleep at 4:45 am here. Jay
prajgolf

Re: Shubhankar Sharma thread

Post by prajgolf »

By winning Joburg Open, Shubhankar Sharma has achieved the following:

1st Indian and Asian to win Joburg Open
Youngest Indian winner at European Tour.
2nd youngest Indian winner at Asian Tour after Gaganjeet Bhullar.
4th youngest Indian winner of OWGR event after Rayhan Thomas, Chikka S & Gaganjeet Bhullar.
1st Indian winner at Sunshine Tour.
2nd on Race to Dubai Rankings.
6th on Asian Tour order of merit.
A career high 226 on OWG Rankings.
5th Indian winner at European Tour.
5th Indian winner on the Asian Tour this year.
Youngest Indian to start a Major.
prajgolf

Post by prajgolf »

Shubhankar Sharma has continued with his good form and taken the first round lead with a score of 6 under par at the PGTI’s season-ending event of McLeod Russel Tour Championship 2017 (Rs. 1.5 crore prize money)

Rahil Gangjee and Rashid Khan also got off to impressive starts with scores of five-under-67 to share second place.

Shubhankar Sharma, who won the Joburg Open 10 days back to become the youngest Indian to win on the European Tour has decided to enter the prestigious 107th BMW South African Open Championship to be played on 11-14 Jan 2018.
prajgolf

Post by prajgolf »

Shubhankar Sharma wins the PGTI’s season-ending event of McLeod Russel Tour Championship 2017.

He was the leader on Day 1 but lost his lead to Rashid Khan on Day 2 & 3 and by the end of Day 3 Shubhankar Sharma was trailing by 2 shots.

Today on the final day, Shubhankar Sharma won by 1 shot by scoring a 4 under par round, while Rashid Khan could only manage a 1 under par round.

Rahil Gangjee finished third.

Shubhankar Sharma won a prize money of Rs 22.5 lakhs.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

He made a lot of money at the end of the year! Congrats, young man!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Shubhankar definitely looks like an amazing talent ! To score 62(10'under par) on final round (4 strokes back) to win Maybank championship is fantastic! With two wins in Euopean tour, he is now at top of Race to Dubai standings
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Time to update this thread with India #1, WR #69 (to be confirmed).
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, an amazing win and a terrific talent. Copying his interview from Asiantour.com in his personal thread also.

Really detailed interview after winning the title by Shubhankar on Asian tour site.

Super Sharma seals stunning win
I played pretty solid and it wasn’t easy because it was windy. I kept pushing the whole day. I knew I had to make a lot birdies to catch the leaders. I made a lot of birdies in the front nine and just continued on the back.
To be honest, I wasn’t thinking about the leaderboard. I wanted to set a target in my mind and try to achieve it. On the 13th I knew I was somewhere near the leaders but on 16 I knew I had a two-shot lead. I told myself if I can make two more birdies, that would give me a good chance to win.
The last two months have changed my life. I’ve been a member on the Asian Tour for a while and I will continue to be a member on the Asian Tour. I’ve always dreamt of winning and now I’m a two-time winner on the Asian Tour and European Tour.
I didn’t make a birdie on the first hole which is quite disappointing because that’s quite an easy hole. I wasn’t putting too well just the way I was driving the ball I knew The win in Joburg helped a lot. Especially today, I was very calm on the course. I wasn’t under any pressure.
I didn’t make a bogey at all and it is very rare because you usually end up slipping after making birdies. I played really well, especially with the way I started. It is always tough to make birdies when you are trailing the leaders but I relaxed.
I’m over the moon. The last two months have been fantastic for me. I’m playing in The Open championship this year so I can’t ask for anything more. Whatever happened today was fantastic.
I had a few 10-under-pars before. I shot my first one in the Philippines two years ago to safe my Asian Tour card and I shot another one before winning the Joburg Open. I made a brilliant birdie on the nine. I pushed my tee shot to the right but I hit a brilliant second shot holed my birdie from about 15 feet.
On the 16th hole I saw the leaderboard and I had a two-shot lead so I told myself I needed one more birdie and I made a very nice birdie on 17. On 18, my ball was in the greenside bunker and the easiest up-and-down to make. I was just telling myself ‘don’t mess this up, don’t duff it or top it.’
It is still early in the season and I haven’t thought about winning the Habitat for Humanity Standings. I’m also leading in the Race to Dubai but I’m not thinking about it because there are so many events left. If I play well enough, I will have a good chance to win the Habitat for Humanity Standings. This win is great because it opens so many doors for me. I’m also playing in The Open so I’m excited about that. All and all, it is a great day.
This is a very special golf course. I finished tied ninth here last year and it was my first Maybank Championship and best result in a co-sanctioned event. I kept my Asian Tour card here because of this result here. Obviously, I love the course. It wasn’t easy today because it was very windy but this course suits my eye.
Gavin (Green) is a great friend. We know each other for three years now. He is a great guy and he is obviously a Maybank Ambassador and the reigning Order of Merit champion. He is a great guy and a great player. We’ve been good friends and he will also be playing on the European Tour so I will have some good company.
More and more players are coming out of Asia and India. More Asian players are doing well. You’ve had players like Arjun Atwal, Jyoti Randhawa and Anirban Lahiri. Just seeing them do well inspire us. Especially me winning now will inspire some kids so we need more idols to inspire more people and give them the confidence that they can do it as well. Asian golf is in the right hands and it is doing very well. You will see more and more Asian players winning in Europe.
No, not at all. I never thought I would win today. In a way that’s good because I was four shots off the leaders. The best thing was that I wasn’t in the leader group. I didn’t go in with the mind-set to win but I went in with the mind-set to shoot a low round. That really helped me today. I had a good feeling I would play well and shoot a low number and that’s what I did.
My dad was in the army and we pretty much went all over the place in India. We were in many places. Dad used to be posted all around and we as a family followed him. I got into the game when I was seven. I turned professional when I was still in school. My dad is one of the biggest reasons that I could take this step. He has been a great inspiration. I’m 21 but this is my sixth season as a professional. I already feel like a veteran.
Both my wins now are very special. Joburg Open was obviously my first win and it was a different atmosphere because I was the only Indian there. It was very calm. I was more in the zone. The first wins are always special. I was leading going into the final round of the Joburg Open so I was expected to win. Today, I had no expectations. I didn’t even know I was going to win until the 16th leaderboard. Both wins are different but very special.
prajgolf

Post by prajgolf »

Shubhankar Sharma is the new Indian # 1 golfer. He is currently ranked 72 in the OWG Rankings.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:02 pm Time to update this thread with India #1, WR #69 (to be confirmed).
Updated the thread name with his latest updated ranking. This certainly appears to be a meteoric rise in rankings by Shubhankar in last 2 months.
PKBasu

Re: Shubhankar Sharma thread- India #1, WR #72 in Feb. 2018

Post by PKBasu »

Wow, that was a truly stunning performance to win the Maybank Championship in its third year (since it replaced the Maybank Malaysian Open that Anirban won in its last year, and Arjun Atwal won twice). A final round of 62 to win by Shubhankar is mind-boggling. That he is only 21 makes him all the more exciting!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Shubhankar Sharma thread- India #1, WR #64 in Mar. 2018

Post by jaydeep »

Interview of Shubhankar on Asiantour.com

Sharma ready to fight for International Team place at 2019 #PresidentsCup
Ten years ago, Sharma enjoyed his first encounter with Els, a four-time Major champion and 19-time PGA TOUR winner, when the South African legend headlined the Indian Masters.

“I was a kid and went for a golf clinic after one of his rounds. Ernie called out a few kids to hit a few shots and I was one of them. We were using his nine iron and as kids, it was really heavy for us and nobody could really hit it good. I was the last kid and he came over and told me I’ve got to hit the ball in the centre of the clubface and showed me how to hold the club,” recounted Sharma.

“I went on to hit two great shots, which went towards the 100-yard marker. That was one of the best memories I have of Ernie and he was kind enough to give me his card and after signing it, he said I’ll be a great player one day if I kept practicing. And for a kid like me who was only 10 at that time, it just made my day.”
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

The nice write-up is published on Shubhankar on PGATour.com by Cameron Morfit.

Shubhankar Sharma: India's next big thing
“The differentiating factor between him and other 21-year-olds,” Lahiri said, “is how he approaches tournaments and his mental ability to focus and separate himself from the noise."

When Shubhankar Sharma speaks of golf’s appeal, he talks about the mental side.
“The best part is you’re always playing against the course and against yourself,” he said in Mexico.
vidhyashankar

Post by vidhyashankar »

Finished T2 at the HSBC Abu Dhabi championship, an European Tour event