Other Indian Golfers thread

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Other Indian Golfers thread

Post by jaydeep »

Want to share article on Ashok Kumar ... Firstly thinking of starting new thread but then thought it would be too early to start Ashok Kumar's own thread ... So instead starting this new thread for all Indian/ Indian origin golfers other than Jeev, Jyoti, Daniel, Shiv and Vijay ... So please put here any new news on them when u guys find it.

Nice article on Ashok Kumar on DNA by Abhishek Roy.

From caddie to ace golfer - meet Ashok Kumar
"My love for golf started there and I used to play a bit when no one was around. After all we were caddies and we were not allowed to play," recalled Ashok, who has never been to school.

Can you believe it - a golfer who has never been to school? So is this the changing face of golf in India?

It was under Arjuna Awardee Amit Luthra that Ashok discovered himself and he is still grateful to the veteran golfer for all his achievements.

"I used to be his caddie earlier and till date he has been my biggest support. I wouldn't have achieved what I have if he were not behind me," said Ashok, who has had earnings of Rs.4 million in the 2006-07 season.

For Ashok, who idolises legendary American golfer Tiger Woods, qualifying for the Asian Tour this year will be a challenge.

"Last year I missed the qualifying score by two shots. This year I will give my best and hopefully qualify for it," he said.
Jaydeep.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Other Indian Golfers thread

Post by ajay »

Jaydeep, thats a good idead to start a general thread for other golfers who don't have their named thread. If Ashok is determined, he should be in Asian tour soon. Good luck for him.
usaindian

‘Little Tiger’ all set to roar on US greens

Post by usaindian »

future of indian golf :D woohoo

‘Little Tiger’ all set to roar on US greens

Edited - Merge topic with this general Indian players thread - Jaydeep.
Last edited by jaydeep on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Interview with SSPC,
SSPC down memory lane
suresh

Post by suresh »

Last season, it looked like SSP would be the next Indian to move to bigger tours such as the European Tour. However, that has not happened. It is nice to see him take the setbacks (of the current season) and keep the target of securing his card for next year in focus.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Indian amateur golfer Joseph J. Chakola is turning professional golfer from the Hero Honda Indian Open at the Delhi Golf Club on Thursday ... Wishing a good luck to him.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Here is a recent articleby Shiv Kapur where he talks about himself and Indian golf.

Here is his quote about young talents, the future hope of India
At every level of the game there has been a vast improvement. The scores that 12 and 13-year-old kids shoot in tournaments these days were not even heard of as recently as a decade ago. The sport is definitely getting younger in India, as it is in the rest of the world. Turning pro at an early age has become something of a fashion these days but can often be a deterrent, because golf requires a high level of maturity not only on the course but also off it, in terms of getting to grips with a lifestyle that involves a lot of time spent away from home.

Having said that, there are a handful of guys who I think have the potential to make it big over the next few years, namely Anirban Lahiri, Gaganjeet Bhullar, Himmat Singh Rai, Ajeetesh Sandhu and Rashid Khan, to mention a few. They have already shown great promise in their short careers, and you can expect good things from them in the future.

Indian golf is certainly headed in the right direction. The older guys are paying more attention to their fitness, and they'll be around for a few more years yet. With all the playing opportunities they have, the younger guys are learning quickly. So it's safe to say that the future of Indian golf is bright. It is already one of the fastest growing sports in the country and with the domestic tour getting stronger, I'm sure we will have at least a handful of Indian pros playing on the PGA Tour in a decade from now.
usaindian

Post by usaindian »

Rashid Khan wins Faldo Series Asia golf
http://sports.timesofindia.indiatimes.c ... 325034.cms
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Thanks for the news. Hopefully, we will soon see Rashid Khan in pro tour.
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

Rashid was initially planning to turn pro after the Asian Games in 2010 but now he is considering turning pro early next year. The reason- He has won five tournaments and finished second in six of the last seven tournaments he has played on the amateur circuit. The only one where he did have a disappointing finish, was at the All-India Amateur, played on matchplay format, where he lost to another very talented kid Ashbeer Saini on the third playoff hole in the second round.

He has won by an average margin of six shots and almost won a tournament in Jaipur on the PGTI tour. A lot will depend on how he plays the next two weeks, with two back-to-back tournaments lined up on the amateur tour, starting today in Bangalore. If he wins comfortably once again, I will not be surprised if he sets his mind on turning pro sooner rather than later
Saniapower
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Saniapower »

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

C. Muniyappa won a deserving Asian Tour Rookie of the Year title ... He finished this season in 10th place on the Order of Merit with US$223,269 through one win and three other top-25s.

Muniyappa named Asian Tour Rookie of the Year
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

A young lad named Viraat Bhadwar won the callaway world junior champ in states.

Found tis piece in Hindu today.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, Viraat Badhwar won in Boys 13-14 yrs old category ... Viraat produced excellent 4 under last third round to win by a stroke with 8 under ... American Rico Hoey tried to catch him with 6 under, the best round of tournament , but missed by a stroke to catch Viraat.

Final Leaderboard
prajgolf

Post by prajgolf »

Shubham Jaglan, the 10-year-old son of a milkman from Haryana has won the IJGA World Stars of Junior Golf crown in Las Vegas, winning by a five-stroke margin.

Last week, he had clinched the IMG Academy Junior World Championship for the 9-10 age category in San Diego.

Definitely a future watchout :D