Shiv Kapur thread ...

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Shiv Kapur: T7, T18, T3, 4, T8, T2,..., Wins Volvo Masters

Post by ajay »

I moved the discussion on ranking points in various tours to a new thred Expose` on golf ranking points in forum for General Golf Discussion
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Thanks Ajay
suresh

Post by suresh »

Guess what, there is a new golf player named "Shiv Kapoor" according to the venerable Hindu :-)

Here is the link

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holn ... 061650.htm

with the headline Accolades and honour for Shiv Kapoor . Anyway, next up for
Shiv is the Hawaii Open.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Shiv declared his desire to play US PGA tour from 2007 season ... He is already planned to participate in qualifying school for that this year ... Pretty sure about what he want to do next.

He also mentioned - "If I do well in these events ( Sony Open in Honolulu and the World Golf Championship at Firestone) then maybe I don't even have to go through qualifying school to get a shot at the American Tour for next season. Lets see how it goes."

Interview on WebIndia123.com - Shiv Kapur hopes to play US golf tour next season

Jaydeep.
Prem

Post by Prem »

:goodluck: Shiv in US. And now he gets an invite to USD2M Abu Dhabi Golf Championship on the European Tour for the week after the Sony Open. His stature has really taken a big jump. One good performance in these big events could do wonders to his career. All the best to Arjun, Daniel & Shiv for Sony open. Jyoti seems to have decided to play EPGA as he is also listed in the upcoming events in EPGA.....good decision.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Prem wrote::goodluck: Shiv in US. And now he gets an invite to USD2M Abu Dhabi Golf Championship on the European Tour for the week after the Sony Open. His stature has really taken a big jump. One good performance in these big events could do wonders to his career. All the best to Arjun, Daniel & Shiv for Sony open. Jyoti seems to have decided to play EPGA as he is also listed in the upcoming events in EPGA.....good decision.
I wish there was at least a week gap between two events...He has to adjust to the changing climates (Hawai and Dubai) very quickly...
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Shiv scales new height on his 24th birthday as he finished T12 at tri sanctioned (European, Australian and Asian tour) Johnnie Walker tournament at Perth.

Happy Birthday Shiv!!!
suresh

Post by suresh »

OK, we have known all along that Shiv Kapur is for real. Nice to see the some of the
world come around to our way of thinking as well.

Indian prospect Kapur tipped for bright future, says a Reuters report:

It includes remarks from his playing partners at the Johnny Walker classic:
Former U.S. Masters winner Fred Couples partnered Kapur in the opening two rounds and was quick to compare the Indian to former British Open champion Justin Leonard.

"Shiv knows how to play golf," Couples said. "He's got his future ahead of him and I like his temperament.

"He hits the ball really solid. He's not long, he's not short. He's like Justin Leonard. He is really, really good."

Another playing partner, Australian Robert Allenby, was just as complimentary.

"Shiv's a very good golfer, especially with the fact that he still very young," Allenby said.

"He's got a solid game, keeps the ball in play and is a good putter. He's long enough to play on the U.S. PGA Tour and it's just a matter of whether he wants to play his way there."
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

After Fred Couples and Craig Parry (who were Shiv's playing partners in first two rounds, it is the turn of Robert Allenby, the playing partner in the last round, to sing praise about Shiv.

KAPUR SWITCHES HIS ATTENTION TO MALAYSIA
"Shiv's a very good golfer, especially with the fact that he still very young," said Allenby. "He's got a solid game, keeps the ball in play and is a good putter. He's long enough to play on the US PGA Tour and it's just a matter of whether he wants to play his way there. I'm pretty impressed with him," said Allenby.
Another article on Shiv's performance in Rediff.
Kapur has best European Tour finish
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

sEEing news about Shiv in Asian tour website isn't a big deal.. But how about our shiv hogging the limelight in front page of Yahoo golf page :D
(The content is same as Asian tour though)

What is he holding in his hand? Rookie trophy?

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf;_ylt=AhQKl ... Dnw.c5nYcB
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Yahoo's Golf page banner news item!!

Goooo Shiv!! :)

-kujo

ps: nice find kumar!
suresh

Post by suresh »

I was wondering what Shiv had to do to ensure that he got a European tour card for next year through his earnings from jointly sanctioned events. So I did a little bit of "research" to figure out the answer and thought I'd share it with others. I hope that I have not made trivial errors. First, there are two levels of qualification(extrapolating this year's criterion):

Category 7 Exemption Top 116 Members from the 2006 European Tour Order of Merit.
Category 12 Exemption Players finishing 117 to 147 in the final 2006 European Tour Order of Merit

Some numbers from 2004: 116 = €145,868 and 147=€ 87,827,
Some numbers from 2005: 116 = €174,519 and 147=€102,440.

Lin. Extrapolation for 2006: 116 = €206,177 and 147=€121,023.

Shiv's earnings for 2006 is currently at €102,847 and Jyoti Randhawa is at €149,850. The Asian tour has five more jointly sanctioned events and Shiv has to earn about 20,000 euros to get into the top 147 and about 105,000 euros to make it to the top 116. Of course, if Shiv wins any of the remaining five tournaments, he gets a two-year exemption in the European tour like Jyoti. So a realistic estimate is that Shiv will, at the very least, make it to the top 147 and enter the Category 12 which means that he will directly qualify into some of the European tour events in 2007. All this will be irrelevant if he qualifies for the PGA tour next year. Good luck Shiv.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Thanks Suresh for your calculations.
Lin. Extrapolation for 2006: 116 = €206,177 and 147=€121,023.
Can you explain to a math-challenged person how did you come up with this figure? I have not looked carefully at the amount of prize money offered in 2004 and 2005, and what will be given out in 2006 because it may have a bearing on the calculations of rank #116 and #147 for 2006.

I hope that Shiv does very well on the remaining Asian leg of the EPGA Tour and earns enough money to secure his EPGA card for 2007. The European players will have an advantage over him once the action moves to Europe in another month. Besides, Shiv can focus on qualifying for 2007 PGA Tour if he makes enough money in the next four weeks to secure the EPGA card.

I believe that Shiv will do better on the PGA Tour than the EPGA Tour because he is more familiar with the US golf courses, and he will have Atwal and Chopra to guide him initially.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Hopefully Shiv will play more than 5 events as it is likely that he may get sponsor's exemption.
Shiv's best result so far is T7 (last week) in jointly sanctioned event and that is the only top 10 for him. But last tournament had less money. I feel he will soon have some good results and he'll make it to EPGA directly.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Has Shiv played competitively in Europe? His world ranking points do not show any event in Europe. I think it will be a good learning experience for him to play in Europe this year if he can get into the field instead of playing in Asia during the summer. One reason to continue playing on the Asian Tour instead of EPGA may be to win the Order of Merit.