Shiv Kapur thread ...

All posts regarding specific golfers and golfer threads are in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Shiv Kapur thread ...

Post by ajay »

I think it is time to start a thread on Shiv Kapur. Shiv is truly the best young prospect for India. He has started to play with belief and confidence and it can be seen in his recent results. Last week in Bejing, he along with digvijay singh was in contention upto the 4th day. Finally he and digvijay finished T3, missing the playoff by one stroke. He followed his good performance this week at Bangkok, where he came in contention on the last day with an excellent round of -5 on a difficult course. He started the 4th round T11th and 8 strokes behind the leader. Ultimately, he finished only 2 strokes behind the winner as sole 4th.
While all other Indians except Jyoti and Jeev are struggling for Asian tour card, he is well set to get his card.
Last edited by jayakris on Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Shiv Kapur: T7, T18, T3, 4, T8, T2,..., Wins Volvo Masters

Post by jaydeep »

Thanks Ajay for taking initiative for starting separate thread for Shiv Kapur ... Who truely deserve his own personal thread.

Congrats to Shiv Kapur for consecutive weeks Top 5 finishes.

Jaydeep.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Shiv Kapur, a son of Renu and Ravi Kapur, was born in New Delhi on Feb. 12, 1982 and attended Vasant Vihar Modern School in New Delhi. He was the No. 1 ranked junior in India in 1998 and 1999, and had won 12 major championships before the age of 19 years. He became the first Indian to win the Malaysian Open Amateur Championship, and was the member of the 2000 and 2002 World Cup Indian teams, which competed for the Eisenhower Cup.

Shiv met Kel Llewellyn at Delhi Golf Club at 16 years of age and spent a few weeks with him "talking golf and all the aspects related to it". Kel has coached Daniel Chopra and Jyoti Randhawa in Delhi in the past, and Shiv claims Kel to be his golf guru, but went against his guru’s advice to attend Purdue University in USA on a golf scholarship in 2000.

Shiv’s golf skills came to prominence when he won the golf gold medal at the Busan 2002 Asian Games, and he was awarded the Arjuna Award in 2003. He came very close to playing in the US Open in 2004 when he came through the qualifying tournaments and finished third in the sectionals, with the top two getting a chance to play in the major.

Shiv turned pro in the beginning of the 2004-05 season and started playing on the Amby Valley PGAI Tour. He won the second event on the Amby Valley PGAI Tour, the Amby Valley MGC Open, and later added the Surya Nepal Masters title to his resume. He moved into the Asian Tour, and earned a full card to the Asian PGA Tour’s 2005 season.

Good luck, Shiv.

Lessons From Kel
Quality & Quantity
The above mentioned websites load slowly at times.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Prem had written in the European PGA Qualifying thread viewtopic.php?t=594 about Shiv also trying out for the EPGA Tour card. I am not sure what is the best course of action for Shiv, and I would like to read the comments of other forum members. Shiv is playing on the Asian Tour, and I think that he should continue to do so in 2006. He should play in the combined Asian Tour/EPGA events next year and check his progress relative to the EPGA stars. Shiv went to college in USA and hence he is familiar with the US courses, and I think that he should move from Asian Tour to US PGA Tour once he believes that he is ready.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Prem had written in the European PGA Qualifying thread viewtopic.php?t=594 about Shiv also trying out for the EPGA Tour card.
Prem only wrote that he would like to see Shiv trying out for the EPGA Tour card. We don't know yet if Shiv has such a plan or not.

My opinion is that he should surely try qualifiers for EPGA or PGA. And if he qualifies, he should play regular tour. If he dosen't qualify for main tour, Shiv can still qualify for secondary tour (for example Nationwide tour). It may not be bad idea for Shiv to play on Nationwide tour in 06. Although I won't prefer him playing the European NW equivalent tour. MI think that if he is good enough to qualify, why not take his lessons among the better players. I don't think he'll make it to PGA yet, even EPGA will be difficult, but NW should be a possibility
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Sorry Ajay. I did not express my thoughts properly in my previous post, and I should have written what you correctly pointed out. :oops:
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I hope that Shiv has spoken with Arjun Atwal and Daniel Chopra because these two players took different routes to get to the PGA Tour. Shiv has the advantage of knowing USA, and the Nationwide Tour might be easier for him than someone coming straight from India to USA for the first time. It appears that one needs friends in many US cities to cut down on the expenses on the NW Tour, and a reliable car is a must to drive from one venue to another. Golf, unlike Tennis Tour, awards prize money to only those golfers who make the cut. In addition, there is no free accomodation on the NW Tour but some tennis tournaments offer free lodging (I think).
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Shiv Kapur gets one more top 10 in Indian Open. Now he has 4 top 10s in his last 5 performances. Way to go!

Hero Honda Indian Open T8
Bangkok Airways Open   4 
 Crowne Plaza Open   T3 
 Mercuries Taiwan Masters   T18 
 Taiwan Open   T7
suresh

Post by suresh »

It is really nice to see performances from Shiv that did not appear in the first half of the year.
It however looks more and more likely that he will have to play one more year on the Asian tour before moving on. I look forward to him winning a few tournaments next year and finishing at the top of the tour rankings before moving on to the higher ranked tours. I wonder what are his long-term plans -- by that, I mean what he would like to achieve over the next couple of years.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Shiv will play again this week in Thailand, once again against a strong field with top Thais (including 3-times this year and Indian open winner Wiratchant, Thongchai Jaidee) playing at home turf.

4th top 10 at Indian open - what does it mean to Shiv.
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story ... t_id=81113
I told my caddie, ‘Let’s get back and play hard. I told him let’s try and go for five-under for the next 14 holes. That can get us into top-10.’ He nodded and off we went on our mission.’ I managed that with birdies on sixth and eighth and a fine back nine which I went through in 33. That gave me a 69 and a top-10 place. Four top-10 finishes in last five starts is something that I am proud of. I hope I can build on that and win something soon.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

He has been exciting prospect for a few years now and his performance in the last few weeks has been really heartening.. Go Shiv
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

He sure is an exciting prospect..Infact even in the chat session daniel Chopra had mentioned specifically that Shiv Kapur should be one that we should look out for in the future!
Sridhar
*sridinats*

Post by *sridinats* »

Wow!
Shiv is continuing his good run on the Asian tour by ending JOINT 1ST aftr the first days play in thailand.>GO SHIV :bounce: !!!!!!!!!!
Sridhar
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Shiv maintains his top position after 2nd round. Follow his exploits in the Asian Tour thread
viewtopic.php?p=4164363#4164363
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

As Shiv plays in Jointly sanctioned tour, lets see if he maintains his run of top 10s once again. He started well in the first round as he is just outside top 10. A good showing in this tournament will further boost his rapid improvement in world ranking. He is currently ranked 444 in the world, which is a really an understatement because he has played only around 20 odd tournaments. The average points, which forms the basis of world ranking uses 40 minimum tournament for computation.