Chess - General Thread

Basically a froum to cover chess now that we seem to have sufficient interest in the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: Chess - General Thread

Post by Kumar »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-63010107

Article about alleged cheating in chess game!
Orang
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Orang »

These cheating scandals have given chess tremendous publicity. All major news sites covered this latest scandal, in addition to Trevor Noah etc...
But this makes me nervous about the future of chess (at least online chess tournaments). Apparently, a few of Niemann's past games got 100 percent correlation with machine recommended first choice moves. Including the below insane one against Mishra, played when Niemann was a lot lower rated.

Niemann claims to have cheated twice online, but all signs suggest much more. One analysis I saw concluded that Niemann has had more 100 percent machine first move recommendation match games than FIsher, Kasparov and Carlsen combined!

The question is how he could cheat in OTB games. No proof so far. Will be very interesting to see him play at the coming US Open.

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

https://deadspin.com/even-in-retirement ... 1849605874

Very interesting statement from Carlsen! I guess chess players may have to be strip searched before games or the game could be played without visibility to the board and scores are posted delayed by couple of moves online

The analysis of Mishra game was just fantastic.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Why link to that dead beat Antonio Brown?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Kumar wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:20 am https://deadspin.com/even-in-retirement ... 1849605874

Very interesting statement from Carlsen! I guess chess players may have to be strip searched before games or the game could be played without visibility to the board and scores are posted delayed by couple of moves online

The analysis of Mishra game was just fantastic.
Thanks Athithee! Sorry wrong link
https://deadspin.com/ai-all-but-confirm ... 1849593392

When u scroll down, did not realize that link had changed with the topic
suresh

Post by suresh »

Is there any evidence that Niemann cheated when he played Carlsen or in any other game in the tournament? Carlsen provides none and I have not seen any other reports either. I have seen the Chess Base interview with Ken Regan.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

suresh wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:06 pm Is there any evidence that Niemann cheated when he played Carlsen or in any other game in the tournament? Carlsen provides none and I have not seen any other reports either. I have seen the Chess Base interview with Ken Regan.
No, there is no evidence that he cheated on board games. Essentially he is being presumed guilty because of past transgressions (when he accepted cheating) . Winning with black especially against world no 1 like Carlsen playing a machine perfect game seems pretty suspicious. They are also grasping at straws like lack of any emotions during that game . All said and done he may be innocent, but pretty much most of chess world appears to have already judged him.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... er/671472/

An article that talks about progression of machine learning in chess. Very interesting article.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The article is "basic" for those of us who have worked on/with technology in the area. So not very interesting to me. But, that is not to say it is not of value for the general public. Essentially, you want to look at reinforcement learning and many interesting applications/adaptations of it that makes this work.

In my eyes, chess as a game and who is/can be a champion is changing. In some sense, it is democratizing things a bit. If you are not born with those connections in your brain that help you "see" much ahead, plan, etc., but have some of it and are willing to put in lots of hours, and think creatively about bluffs, psychoanalyze your opponent, etc. then you are somewhat more in the game now.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Kumar wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:58 pm
suresh wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:06 pm Is there any evidence that Niemann cheated when he played Carlsen or in any other game in the tournament? Carlsen provides none and I have not seen any other reports either. I have seen the Chess Base interview with Ken Regan.
No, there is no evidence that he cheated on board games. Essentially he is being presumed guilty because of past transgressions (when he accepted cheating) . Winning with black especially against world no 1 like Carlsen playing a machine perfect game seems pretty suspicious. They are also grasping at straws like lack of any emotions during that game . All said and done he may be innocent, but pretty much most of chess world appears to have already judged him.
This is incorrect.

Hans cheated online and then lied about the extent of his cheating and timelines after the Magnus incident.
Prodigious talents have very consistent progression - no one has gone from 2450 to 2700 as quickly as him. And he was 2450 for a long time.
He has also shown an inability to explain his moves and thought process.
And most importantly, his performance has fallen off since the anti-cheating measures were introduced. Still a small-ish sample size but time will tell here.

Even the most egregious cheaters were not caught OTB like Igor Rausis (caught with a phone in a bathroom) or the French Olympiad team (admitted to guilt).

What casual followers need to understand is that even a simple one bit (which says important move or winning chance) used once a game, will give a GM probably a 100 ELO point advantage so the difference between being #100 in the world vs #10.

And a single bit can be someone winking one eye or going and standing on one side of the room - it is pretty much impossible to detect.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Koustav Chatterjee becomes India’s 78th Grandmaster.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... r-8355030/
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

India got its 79 th grandmaster just few days ago...Gm pradesh is 79th gm of india.....
We are now accelerating in chess....Hope we will cross century in upcoming 2-3 years..
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Man, this is getting out of hand to track. First, we had MP, UP, HP, AP and now this GM Pradesh - GMP! Too many pradeshes is not good.

Sorry, Lenin. You do a great job in posting these. Thank you. Just pulling your leg for fun. The guy's name is M. Pranesh. Now, he is a GM before his name. So, he is GMMP. Kid is 16.

We had a K. Vamsi and after a long time we got to know what the K was. I have read of this guy as M. Pranesh. And by culture, the M is perhaps not important but out of curiosity what is it?
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Autocorrect changes name from Pranesh to Pradesh
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

resulting in Autowrong.