All-time Chess Achievements by India(ns)

Basically a froum to cover chess now that we seem to have sufficient interest in the game.

Moderator: Moderators

rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: All-time Chess Achievements by India(ns)

Post by rajitghosh »

One can argue that our players have performed as per their rankings I would have liked some of them to punch above their weight and not stagnate at that 10-20 level
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

That I fully agree with. But, I think that is also harder in tennis than say golf. Or some other sport that has more rendomness in it. Or perhaps does not use great ranking systems due to lack of engagements.

I was sort of arguing Atithee's comment, which seemed to imply that despite our rankings, we have not achieved much. I took this --- and he may not have exactly meant that --- to mean that we have under-performed and are over-rated. I don't think we are. Our rankings are not "that" great in comparison with those of champions.

If you look at chess, you will see how difficult it is to beat someone superior than you. Karpov had a dynasty for a long period of time, then Kasparov. Now Carlsen. They may lose the odd match. Also, the format of champion vs challenger made it difficult to dislodge them. The format has changed some. But, still Carlsen is the king.
Dinakaran
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Dinakaran »

GM Aravind Chithabharam won Dubai open tournament with the field of 180+ international participants with above 30 grand masters. 2nd place by Russian and 3ed place by Pragg