Arjun Erigaisi - 7th Indian to ever get to 2700 ELO

Basically a froum to cover chess now that we seem to have sufficient interest in the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Arjun Erigaisi - 7th Indian to ever get to 2700 ELO

Post by Sin Hombre »

With his last round win at the Olympiad, he will have a rating of 2702 as per the September rating list.

This makes him India #5 and the 7th Indian ever to hit 2700.

At age 18, he is the 2nd fastest India to hit 2700, and 3rd in the juniors ranking behind Firouzja and Gukesh.

Congrats to Arjun for the milestone and an individual silver on board 3 at the Olympiad!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Arjun Erigaisi - 7th Indian to ever get to 2700 ELO

Post by sameerph »

Looks like first time we have 5 Indians in with an elo above 2700-

usaindia

Post by usaindia »

arjun wins
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Someone please enlighten me—what do these translate into international honors for the country/player? Except Anand, I can’t recall a noteworthy name in chess despite having these ranked players. But, it could be totally my ignorance. Thanks.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Among women Humpy has been a world championship runner up and a world rapid champion and Harika has been a world championship semi finalist.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

FWIW, having 3 Indians in the top 25 in a "sport" played by many millions across 100s of countries counts as a pretty stupendous achievement. In the last world championship, it seems like we had 2 full teams that were close to winning it with our B team finishing 3rd.

Of course, not sure whether Chess is a sport (especially since it appears to be a mental activity) but our performance in Chess certainly represents extraordinary achievement.
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

In open section, india 2 ( much lowered ranked) won bronze in chess Olympiad out of 180 + teams and women won bronze(thou they are ranked number 1) out of 160+ teams. Also multiple players won individual medals in each board levels.Winning medal in chess Olympiad is big thing in chess world. Strongest team on paper(usa), world champion team(Norway) and chess power houses went back empty handed
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Also it is a misconception that chess does not require physical fitness. When you play 6-8 hour games to be mentally alert you need tremendous fitness.
What disappoints me though is that in spite of having 2700+ rating male players none have made an impact at the world championships that the women have made. The men have won some high level events though.
I think Parimarjan Negi retiring hit us hard. He was a brilliant talent. He used his mental prowess for his pH.D.
usaindia

Post by usaindia »

Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Atithee wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:30 pm Someone please enlighten me—what do these translate into international honors for the country/player? Except Anand, I can’t recall a noteworthy name in chess despite having these ranked players. But, it could be totally my ignorance. Thanks.
We are talking about a 16-year old (Gukesh), 17-year old (Pragg), 18-year old (Nihal) and now turning 19 as of today in Arjun.

It is obvious that at least 3 of them (not Nihal yet) are going to be better than Hari who was India's 2nd best player ever.

As far as international honors go, we just won a bronze with these kids at the Olympiad.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Fixed the name in the thread title to "Erigaisi".

Where does that last name come from? Never heard the word. Doesn't seem to be a place name or caste name or anything. Does not sound like it comes from any Telugu words. Just does not fit any kind of a language or word roots or anything I can imagine either. maybe of a Dravidian root? Anybody knows? Are there any other Erigaisis out there?