2012 Men World chess championship

Basically a froum to cover chess now that we seem to have sufficient interest in the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Prem
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2012 Men World chess championship

Post by Prem »

Anand draws the 4th game and thus retains the World Title. woohoo
Take a bow.... Anand :notworthy:
Congratulations on a very hard fought win!!! :dance:

So the grinding 2 weeks of chess is finally over and Anand can now relax and celebrate the fact that he remains the World Champion :D
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Anand wins the tie break and defends the World Championship! :clap: Gelfand — Anand 6 — 6; Tie-break 1½ — 2½
He has now defended this title 3 times in a row (Kramnik 2008, Topalov 2010, Gelfand 2012).

Live conference going on, if anyone wants to watch. http://moscow2012.fide.com/en/
No insane moves from either side, equalizing tendency from both. Boris being incredibly aggressive towards the media - he wants complete silence when he speaks.

kujo
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Congrats to Anand, still the World Champion!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
shibi

Post by shibi »

Congrats Anand.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

kujo wrote:Live conference going on, if anyone wants to watch. http://moscow2012.fide.com/en/
No insane moves from either side, equalizing tendency from both. Boris being incredibly aggressive towards the media - he wants complete silence when he speaks.
You mean they usually have fist fights and stuff in press conferences after chess matches? Like at boxing match press conferences? ... I think I will never understand chess. But I did watch the press conference as I got curious. Looked like a quiet event.

But it seems like a pretty good achievement from Viswanathan to keep the title, now that I have a sense of the "grind" involved. Two more years for 6 years as world champion and he has not relinquished the title since he first got it, right? Wow. Congrats (seriously!).

Jay
Sathya

Post by Sathya »

Congratulations Anand and Team ! Good show ! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Jay, I think he won this championship in Year 2000 also.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Thanks Sathya. Any world championship is good, but he seems to have etched his name firmly on this thing, winning it that many times. It sounds like if he keeps doing this, he will be considered as one of the all-time greats. Is he like among the best 3 or 4 ever? (the only names I know in chess are Fischer, Karpov and Kasparov)... Anyway, good show. Jay
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Red color indicates - undisputed World Champion
Green - FIDE champion (Official Chess organization)
Blue - The breakaway PCA (Professional Chess) champion (Anand was never part of this breakaway group)

So, we have stopped the madness as of 2010 and have integrated everyone into the same championship cycle. Longer the red bar grows, more chances for Anand to be considered as one of the all time greats. He has some ways to go....

Of course we still have Carlsen wanting to pull a Kasparov (break away from the cycle) even before winning the World Championship! So, except for that idiot, we are all integrated with the championship cycle (every 2 years).

Anand is the only player to have won the World championship in 3 different formats (knock-out, tournament style round robin and match play) and has defended his title 3 consecutive times successfully.

kujo
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

:bounce: :bounce: CONGRATULATIONS ANAND!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Ultimately, this championship proved to be very tight contest and hard fought. Both contestants were very well prepared and Gelfand was really motivated and worthy challenger :notworthy: who fought till the end. Kudos to Anand that he ultimately found a way to break through the Boris shield and just sneaked through to the finish line ahead of Boris.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Hey, I think Anand is already one of the all-time greats. He is in the top 10 of the red bar undisputed heavy weight champions of the world!! Of course, he has some way to go to become the GOAT (Greatest Player of All Time)....
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Congratulations to Vishy Anand . Superb performance . :clap: :clap:

This article sums up most of his achievements in detail-

Viswanathan Anand bids to be an all-time great
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

arjun2761 wrote:Of course, he has some way to go to become the GOAT (Greatest Player of All Time)....
This thread is giving me so much fun, while it keeps me all confused. A win is unfortunate compared to a draw. Then you are the goat, when you are the greatest. Ah, Viswanatha, Jagannatha, help me! :) Jay
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Not sure when a win is considered unfortunate. This all started because of what Prem wrote initially, which was later corrected by saniapower. jay is now truly confused, instead of pretending to be confused (see below, most recent post is shown first). :)
jayakris wrote: This thread is giving me so much fun, while it keeps me all confused. A win is unfortunate compared to a draw.
jayakris wrote: Unfortunate? I know I am too dumb to understand chess, but a draw being unfortunate compared to a loss is just too tough to figure out.
Saniapower wrote:
Prem wrote:
Saniapower wrote:Anand is losing in the 3rd TB
Unfortunately not Saniapower....Anand managed a draw and now to the last board!!!
Gelfand had the advantage. But he made mistakes and black held on. So fortunately for Anand ......it's a draw. :D
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

A good summary of what went on in the decisive game 2.
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-spo ... 473073.ece
The second rapid playoff game was an epic battle which Anand won only on the 77th move, the longest game of the match. Anand surprised Gelfand in the opening phase and gained plenty of time on the clock but the Israeli challenger sacrificed a pawn and soon acquired powerful counter-play.

Gelfand succeeded in doubling his rooks on the seventh rank on the 31st move, normally a crushing manoeuvre, but by then he had only 42 seconds left on his clock to avoid a time forfeit and he was relying on the 10 second increment per move to keep him in the game. Anand defended stoutly and, after a mistaken series of exchanges by Gelfand, reached an endgame which was a technical draw, despite Anand's extra pawn.

However the Indian, with a four-minute time advantage persisted, seized the moment to induce a mistake from the previously nerveless Gelfand. “Boris defended well,” said Anand, “and the result should have been a draw.”

However on move 70, Gelfand ran himself down to two seconds before moving and his next move, made at speed to avoid a loss on time, was a fatal error. Anand exchanged into a technically winning rook endgame and on move 77, faced with a slow but sure winning manoeuvre well known from all endgame books, Gelfand resigned.
Finally, persistence pays off. Offering a draw at that point in the rapid game, with such a huge time advantage would simply be criminal!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

kujo wrote:A good summary of what went on: “Boris defended well,” said Anand, “and the result should have been a draw.”
Chess pundits postulate that Anand got confused about who won and started blaming the *unfortunate* result to a huge conspiracy. It was not a draw and he refused to accept a draw. The chess pundits were not surprised because Anand has been thinking that a draw is a win for the the last two years. See all but three games in this championship. The gentleman chess player from India offers a draw after 1.25 moves in every game regularly. Even when he is losing after the first move. A la Kasparov. Chess pundits collectively nod their heads (their heads are too heavy to nod individually) and say that this is all a big trick from the happy one. The organizers collectively scratched their heads trying to figure out what to do when Anand refused a winning position and demanded a draw. Failing to figure out a solution, they even took to scratching each others' heads. Then, the climax happened when Gelfand took it up on himself. I will let the great story-teller par excellence Kujo continue for only he can tell it in his own way:
However on move 70, Gelfand ran himself down to two seconds before moving and his next move, made at speed to avoid a loss on time, was a fatal error.
Upon hearing this, Jay started thinking how one can run oneself down before moving. Running is not moving, Sir. In chess. No sir, this is not athletics. Gelfand made a fatal error and died. Everyone left the room crying for the dead elephant.