Parimarjan Negi - Asian Champion 2012

Basically a froum to cover chess now that we seem to have sufficient interest in the game.

Moderator: Moderators

kujo
Authors
Authors

Parimarjan Negi - Player Thread

Post by kujo »

Kujo, there are people who care to report, that too, accurately.

I am sure you'll appreciate any sincere effort.
Thanks Babloo for the lengthy, sincere and clarifying post on Negi's situation with respect to current rating / GM norms!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

I do appreciate the work you have done in clarifying all my concerns. :D I am not sure whether you report to any newspapers or not though!? Pardon my ignorance on that front!!

Since Negi is still short of 2400 (as per rating list he is still 2396) the chart shows a gain of 24 points (as per K-10). So you add 50% of 24 which is 12 to it and reach 36. That was what you got. Great!
So I got that one right!! I wish the tournament site had helped in resolving this little problem of K=10 being the default value used and re-claculating Negi's rating change with the correct K=15 value.... :)
Secondly, when a GM norm requirements are calculated for a player, a rating of a maximum of two opponents (whose rating is less than 2250) is calculated at 2250. In the case of Negi, his first three opponents had the following ratings:

Round 1 : Santosh Baala 1971
Round 2 : Soumya Swaminathan 2156
Round 3: N. Srinath 2160

Therefore, as per the provisions of GM norm calcutions, the ratings of Santosh and Soumya were taken as 2250 while calcutaing the average of 10 opponents at the end of the tournament.
Okay, I admit, I didn't know this rule for the norm calculations. I read a rule that said, any opponent beyond 350 rating points difference should be resolved as only 350 points from the player. So I calculated Santosh Baala 1971 as 2396-350 = 2046 for the purposes of average opponent rating!! This resulted in 2388 instead of 2381!!
For the benefit of our chess followers, I am giving below the chart of youngest GMs as given by Chessbase site. You'll notice that Karjakin's record is given as 13 years, three months and 27 days (which I think is not correct).
Okay, this part is what I really don't get!! Is there a typographical error in there somewhere?? Are you talking about Karjakin's record or Carlsen here?! :)

cheers,
-kujo
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Welcome to sports-india forum babloo... And Thanks to your explanation of ranking (itz still greek/latin to me )

Looking forward to your expert analysis in future...
Babloo
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Babloo »

Okay, this part is what I really don't get!! Is there a typographical error in there somewhere?? Are you talking about Karjakin's record or Carlsen here?!

This is where I faltered.

I was referring to Carlsen and not Karjakin. Perhaps, at the end of a such a long mail, there was a lapse in concentration. Pardon me.

Also, I am not writing for any newspaper. I am just a chess lover, like you all.

And a BIG THANKS to you, KUMAR; both for starting the thread on Parimarjan Negi and welcoming me to the forum.

Cheers,

Babloo
suresh

Post by suresh »

Babloo, welcome to the forum. By the way, are you in anyway related to Parimarjan Negi?
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

Parimarjan's is a fantastic feat. Winning with black and that too when he needed that win to gain his second GM norm! That many of the papers missed reporting on the tournament and Negi's fabulous feat or else treated the news rather casually confirms my belief that only cricket sells in India. What a shame!
PS: Oh, I forgot, yes Sania Mirza, too!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Welcome Babloo.

I am amazed at the chess knowledge of the forum members :notworthy:, and I hope that Parimarjan Negi is able to achieve his goals.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Babloo wrote:
Also, I am not writing for any newspaper. I am just a chess lover, like you all.

And a BIG THANKS to you, KUMAR; both for starting the thread on Parimarjan Negi and welcoming me to the forum.
Oops in my excitement over a fellow chess enthusiast's posts, I forgot to do the courtesy! :) Welcome to the forum Babloo. Continue to keep us posted and informed about the chess world happenings. You seem to have quite a depth of information there!!

Was Karjakin's GM title through the ususal route of achieving GM norms in tournament play? Or was it through other exceptional performances??

Next up for Negi is Moscow. I will post more details soon....

cheers,
-kujo
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Welcome Babloo ... Truely amazing trivia u r having about chess ... :notworthy:

Ur knowledge will help us to understand game better.

Jaydeep.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Yes Babloo, let me also join the bandwagon. Welcome to the forum :) . Keep posting and give us all a chance to learn more about Chess.
Babloo

Post by Babloo »

Many, many thanks for all the welcome notes. Let me confess that I am truly overwhelmed by your warmth.

Cheers,

Babloo
Babloo

Post by Babloo »

Dear Suresh,

I am not related to Parimarjan Negi. But I've followed his career a bit more closely.

Cheers,

Babloo
gansy

Post by gansy »

welcome Babloo & thanks for the truly revealing posts.

good to know we now have someone who can explain these norm requirements in great detail - it always confused me .. it is not as straight forward as ratings.

i echo what bhushan said earlier - i am amzed at how informed some of our members are. i looked forward to more posts from babloo - [btw Sasikiran's ICC handle is babloo]
suresh

Post by suresh »

Babloo, Like many of the other forumites, I look forward to more posts from you.
With contributions from Kujo and you, we should expect to have a top-class chess forum.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Thanks for the kind words Suresh. I think Babloo will make all the difference in this forum (with regards to in depth chess knowledge)! :)

As for Negi's upcoming trip to Moscow, well all I can say is this: he needs 4 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss to make the final GM norm!! i.e) 6 points out of 9 rounds of play.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Preview to Negi's upcmoning matches in Moscow. From http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstor ... sid=166854
When reminded that he is on the verge of becoming India’s youngest Grandmaster, surpassing P Harikrishna and the world’s second-youngest GM, he says: "Records are there in every game. Right now I am just concentrating on my game, and moreover I am enjoying my game. If a record is there it will come. Of course I will feel happy if I break the record, but what is important that I am not feeling any pressure at this stage of my career."

Interestingly enough, the first target for Negi in Moscow will be to "pull off some more wins" against some noted GMs. The third norm comes later.
Good luck with your preparations Negi!!

-kujo