Koneru Humpy - Player Thread

Basically a froum to cover chess now that we seem to have sufficient interest in the game.

Moderator: Moderators

gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Koneru Humpy - Player Thread

Post by gbelday »

Congrats Humpy!!
BTW, Maya Chiburdanidze looks so different now (photos on chessbase.com). Is it the same person from the 90s? The first name is spelt differently too..
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

a very nice come from behind win!! Congrats to Koneru Humpy for winning the Grand Prix at Istanbul.

Being the top ranked player with 50 rating points lead over the next highest ranked player and more than 400 points over the lowest ranked player in the competition, she was a strong favorite to win this. As viji said, Humpy often struggles in women's only tournaments. Good that she won this one...

Her expected performance was 8.0/11, actual performance 8.5/11

She overcame many setbacks, but her worst one was probably the draw against the lowest ranked player in tournament: Betül Cemre Yildiz (Turkey) Rating: 2214. Humpy (Rating 2621) had no business settling into a draw against her!!
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

What a performance! A comeback win in the tournament. Congratulations to Humpy for the great show. woohoo
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Good win but not a great one IMO. She should have done it easily. Anyways, a bad win is anyday better than a loss. Conratulations Humpy
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Excellent performance by Humpi . I had stopped following this thread since Humpy lost quite a few games in a row & seemed to be out of reckoning fo the title. here, she comes back to win the last 2 games. Well done, Koneru.
Varma

Post by Varma »

That's a superb comeback from Humpy! Congratulations!

- Varma
suresh

Post by suresh »

Gautam: Yes, this Maya is the same person who was the women's world champion long ago.

Sameer: Shame on you for giving up on Humpy :-)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

And in thrilling finish Koneru Humpy scored victory with black pieces in the last round but her co-leaders Chinese grandmasters couldn't win their matches ... :notworthy:

Like her attitude in her comment.
GM Koneru Humpy - "First two rounds the way I played was very good. Just missed 2-3 move combination starting with the third game. Once I lost to Hou Yifan I lost my hope to win the title. I just wanted to play some good games. Overall I could not really play up to my level."
viji

Post by viji »

Humpy is having a torrid time in Ruy Lopez Festival in Spain, where she is at the bottom of the table after 1 win, 1 draw and 3 losses in row. Other players are Adams, Cheparinov, Caruana, Kramling, Granda, Candelario and Larino. She faces Adams (England, 2703) tomorrow with black. The last game is against Larino (Spain, 2473).

This comes after a rather good performance by her in Mumbai Mayor's Cup where she came second with 9/11 points.
viji

Post by viji »

Humpy loses to Adams,
viji

Post by viji »

Humpy is playing in Nalchik in the Women's Grand Prix
http://nalchik2010.fide.com/
Women's Grand Prix in Nalchik, 25 Apr - 8 May 2010

List of participants:
GM Koneru Humpy (2622 IND)
GM Yifan Hou (2570 CHN)
GM Kosintseva Tatiana (2524 RUS)
GM Cramling Pia (2523 SWE)
IM Mkrtchan Lilit (2503 ARM)
IM Danielian Elina (2491 ARM)
GM Zhao Xue (2490 CHN)
GM Dzagnidze Nana (2479 GEO)
GM Chen Zhu (2476 QAT)
WGM Batkhuyag Munguntuul (2428 MGL)
WGM Kovanova Baira (2385 RUS)
WIM Yildiz Betul Cemre (2244 TUR)

Humpy had mixed luck so far with one win, one loss and a draw. Her fourth round game against Baira Kovanova (white) is going on right now.
http://nalchik2010.fide.com/live-games.html

Apparently the 'nal' in Nalchik is a Turkic root word meaning horseshoe. Some of you would recognize it as such from several Indian languages.
viji

Post by viji »

Humpy had a rather bad tournament in Nalchik. She had 3 wins, 3 losses and 5 draws. The losses are against women rated less than 2500. It has been recurrent pattern. She does worse in women only tournaments than in open ones.

People often say that she underperforms because she is under too much pressure in those tournaments to win. What if something else is the reason? Some studies show that women tend to play worse when they think they are playing a man as opposed to a woman.
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5567
In case this affects top female players as well, then in one shot we have an explanation of everything. Humpy is so successful because she is an exception in this regard. She does not get easily intimidated by male opponents. However all these women she loses to, may be they are much better than what their ratings suggest.

I must be quite depressed to be thinking of such weird explanations! :-(
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

you are probably right viji.

the other way to look at that study is: Men chess players do not attach equal importance (weightage) to the moves made by a woman player on a chess board. i.e) they think they can get away with weak moves against women players.

Humpy is aware of this male tendency, sees the opponent's move and plays accordingly, rather than being intimidated by male players. So she does well. But when playing women players, she behaves like a male player, thinking that she can get away with weak moves. Hence, ends up not doing well...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

This is in response to Kujo's post in the Anand thread. Maybe the mods should move some of them to the Asian Games thread. I will respond later about Anand. But, I think the Humpi affair is different from Anand's case. Clearly, Sundar should resign. He should be trying to see how we can make Humpi is most at ease when she plays a tournament. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 161597.cms
suresh

Post by suresh »

kujo wrote:you are probably right viji.

the other way to look at that study is: Men chess players do not attach equal importance (weightage) to the moves made by a woman player on a chess board. i.e) they think they can get away with weak moves against women players.

Humpy is aware of this male tendency, sees the opponent's move and plays accordingly, rather than being intimidated by male players. So she does well. But when playing women players, she behaves like a male player, thinking that she can get away with weak moves. Hence, ends up not doing well...
I recall that the rap on her many years ago was that she earned her GM norms playing weak tournaments and hence did not garner enough respect from the Indian men. At the Men's National A championship, she fixed this problem by refusing to play out friendly draws and going for wins. She did rather well and most importantly showed everybody that she deserved to be a GM.