Indian Cycling Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Indian cycling ?

Post by Kumar »

India wins two silver medals (one in women's and other in junior girls) at Asian Cycling championship at Ludhiana..

http://www.hindu.com/2005/12/17/stories ... 682200.htm
India1989
Please enter the middle number: 1

Indian cycling ?

Post by India1989 »

That is good news. That's fantastic. India won. woohoo. keep up the good work. GOod job girls.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Indian Cycling Thread ...

Post by jaydeep »

Wow ... Positing in this thread after 10 years ... :dance:

India's 20 yrs old young cycling sensation Deborah Herold created history by qualifying for the 2016 Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) Track Cycling World Championships for the first time in India's history ... In December, Deborah had become the first Indian female cyclist to reach the heights of fourth place in the UCI individual world ranking. :notworthy:

India's Deborah Herold seals historic Track Cycling World Championships berth
Deborah is the biggest name in the current Indian squad and her story is one of inspiration, for when the devastating 2004 tsunami hit Port Blair, a nine-year-old Deborah had to spend over a week stuck in a tree until help arrived.
kna

Post by kna »

Thanks jaydeep! Very nice story. Wish her the very best!

Are the Andaman Islands going to become the next scouting area for some sports, kind of like the north east region of India?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Some interesting development on cycling front for India ... We can hope in next Olympics our cyclists also part of it.

According to the latest UCI rankings.the Indian men's junior team has moved to top of the table ... The Indian men's junior team has moved from a previous rank of 11th place to top of the table, with a tally of 1012.5 points ... At second is Poland, with 960 points, followed by Korea at third with 900 ... Junior men's team cyclist Sanuraj is ranked tenth in the individual Keirin category ... There was further improvement for India in the women juniors table too, where in the Team Sprint the cyclists moved up four places to occupy eighth place ... Cyclist Anu Chotia enjoys two top-20 rankings as per the UCI, at No 8 in the individual 500m time trial and 19th in the Sprint category ... In the Women Elite table, India are at 18th place while in the 500m time trial, Deborah Herold sits at sixth.

Indian men's junior cyclists No 1 in team sprint
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Thanks Jaydeep, for keeping up with cycling. Who knew, that we were getting anywhere on this! I can't believe we have a thread where a post came in after 10 years. Not too many forums have this kind of longevity...
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Jay, I myself surprised to see cycling thread ... :)
Meantime good to see you are back, this will definitely bring old time back.
Varma

Post by Varma »

jaydeep wrote:....Meantime good to see you are back, this will definitely bring old time back.
Yes, Jay...good to see you back! I am used to seeing your posts more often than I see you (which is about once a year). I think I have already met you twice this year and no posts from you at all (before these last couple of days) :p

I have gotten money offers from forum members to go knock on your door and force you to post :). It is hard not to like money you know :mrgreen: , so you better keep posting more often :)

- Varma
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Haha! Yeah, I have been way too busy the last year or two. Will try not to be like that and post more, just to make you not use the opportunity that knocked with an opportunity to knock for money!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

India grabs 8 medals in the Track Asia Cup: News
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

It seems we continue to do well at junior level. How much time does it take to translate to some success at senior level? Also are these Olympic events? We should pay serious attention to this as it cycling is a multi medal sport.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/more- ... 965127.cms
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, 4 km Team pursuit and Keirin (individual) r the Olympic events ... Still, need a lot of improvement in the timing, Esow Alben lost in the pre-quarterfinals in last year's Asian games the Sprint event against the South Korean cyclist.

Here is one of Esow Alben's interview after the Asian games.

Pedal to the medal: India’s cycling sensation Esow Alben has his sights set on the Tokyo Olympic
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Is Esow Alben the the first athlete from Andaman islands that we know of, at the top level of Indian sports?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:23 am Is Esow Alben the the first athlete from Andaman islands that we know of, at the top level of Indian sports?
I would say, Deborah Herold ... she became India’s first individual cyclist to qualify for the World Track Cycling Championships, the 2016 London edition.
Fittingly, it was Herold, now 23, who became the symbol of Andamans’ post-tsunami cycling resurgence.
Herold was 9 and at home on the day the calamity struck. She had run out into an open field with her mother before they were separated by a gush of water. Miraculously, she spent five days clinging on to a tree, crying all the while, before she was rescued by a search party. She thought she would never see her family again.
Most young cyclists from Car Nicobar have a tsunami story.
Interesting article on our Andamans and Nicobars cyclists.

Nicobar’s bicycle diaries
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Wow! It’s anecdotes like this which make this group unparalleled anywhere. What a great group of contributors. I’m in awe.