Sports and Performance Enhancing Drugs (Doping)

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Abish arul
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sports and Performance Enhancing Drugs (Doping)

Post by Abish arul »

so this how US win many gold medals huh. :devil:
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

As long as the exemptions are allowed to some, you would be foolish not to use it. It is upto WADA to perform independent tests, maybe make the athlete pay for it, and genuinely determine if the drug is needed. If things cannot be tested, then they should investigate to a reasonable extent possible and then approve things if needed.

At one point, 97% of all cyclists were asthmatic.

The U.S. would win many gold medals even without doping, sorry, I mean TUEs. But, TUEs are the icing on the cake.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

India maintains third position in WADA's doping list for 2015.
http://www.news18.com/news/sports/dopin ... 68019.html
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Cool! We are definitely a sports doping powerhouse!
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

or we are not clever enough to go under the radar...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Both. I am surprised why so many of the Italians with all their money and relatively smaller population are getting caught?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

The 400m hurdler Jithin Paul, who was part of the Indian squad in the last Asian and Commonwealth Games, was asked to leave the national camp after NADA officials seized several vials of a banned drug from his bag kept in the hostel room at the National Institute of Sports in Patiala.

Hurdler Jithin Paul's bag seized with meldonium
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

15 wrestlers, 9 power lifters, and 6 bodybuilders all test positive. Subrata Pal tested positive. More doping

And now, Rohit Yadav, a 16 year old javelin thrower, who was also a Asian Youth Games silver medalist winner, tests positive. Yadav fails dope test
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

How dumb are these guys? Did they seriously think they can get away with this?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Gautam, game-theoretically, it makes sense. They actually think that they are not good enough or that because everyone else is using it, they cannot compete without it. If you think that to be true, your only choice is to do it and hope that you can avoid being caught. If you are not caught, you win. If you are caught, you are in about the same position you would be if you never did the drugs, i.e., go back to being a nobody. I am not saying that Sharapova-types think this way. I am saying that the average Indian sportsman perhaps thinks this way.

So, I think that they are not dumb. Because, I think many are actually not caught. That is evidenced by the fact that testing the samples from 8 years ago gives us evidence that the WADA was not able to catch. And, that Lance Armstrong, etc. enjoyed the careers they did. I do not think the money they get is all recovered if they are caught. So, they have something to gain and nothing to lose.

Now, if the mechanism to catch cheats was 100% accurate and timely, and the money they get in awards fully recoverable, then they would be dumb to do it. Otherwise, they will always have an incentive to cheat.

They are, of course, dumb to do it because it harms their body. But, I do not think you said they are dumb in that sense.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

prasen9 wrote: Now, if the mechanism to catch cheats was 100% accurate and timely, and the money they get in awards fully recoverable, then they would be dumb to do it. Otherwise, they will always have an incentive to cheat.
Thanks, Prasen. That makes complete sense. It's a big damn risk that they are taking. I guess sometimes you get caught up with what everyone else is doing and you don't think too much of the consequences. I didn't realize that they don't have to turn in the prize money if they are caught. So, if they get a cash reward from the government and they are caught, they get to keep the reward? If so, that rule has to change. I know they have to turn in their medals.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Well, in principle, they have to turn back the prize money. But, in practice, it is very hard to recover it. Sometimes, they can just say that it is all spent and sometimes it really is. It is hard to recover money for the government or the IAAF, etc. It is even harder to recover prize money they got from meets abroad. I am not sure. I recall having read something on these lines. I will check better and confirm here.

update: Here is one article. Clean athletes still waiting for prize money dopers got.

update 2: I know lots of people including myself who have little self-discipline. Instant gratification is too difficult to give up. I know I should not eat rosogolla, but, I cannot resist. I know I will die a few years earlier (hopefully, it is only a few years; South Asians have a very large heart attack rate even in their 40s). But, I am okay dying earlier and would rather have the rosogolla for life without rosogolla is not worth living (for me). Well, in reality, I haven't eaten a rosogolla in several years. But, let us grant me some literary license. You get the point. Anyway, the dopers want the instant gratification of winning now and the accolades and dream of living life as a champion rather than living a life of mundane existence. In doing so, if they die earlier, so be it. I think that is the psychology of dopers. I will check more and provide pointers later.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Are we going to now start referring to doping as "rosogolla" instead of "spinach"?? I for one am in favor of this change. :D :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

:-)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Another athlete come under scanner ... our shot-putter Manpreet Kaur ... Manpreet was tested positive for stimulant dimethylbutylamine.
In April, Manpreet had set a national record in the first leg of the Asian Grand Prix meet in Jinhua (China) with a throw of 18.86m which fetched her a gold as well as a World Championships berth ... Also, she had won a gold medal in the recently-concluded Asian Athletics Championships in Bhubaneswar

Asian champion shot-putter Manpreet fails dope test