Indian Table Tennis Thread ...

Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Table tennis

Post by BSharma »

One team (winner) from First, Second and Third Divisions will move up to the next higher Division except that the top two teams from the fourth division will move up. So Indian women will have to beat Spain to move up to the First Division in 2006 TT Championship.

Only the top 6 teams in the Championship Division and the winners of the other divisions are guaranteed a spot for the 2006 tournament. The other teams will be assigned a division based on the 2006 team rankings. A team in the second or third division can move up to the Championship Division if the team ranking is in the top 11 or 12 in 2006. The winner of First Division moves to the Championship Division even if the team ranking is not in the top 12 in 2006.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Table tennis

Post by BSharma »

World Table Tennis Championship:

Indian men defeated Egypt 3-2 to earn 2nd place in their Group. India will play Nigeria for 27th-28th spot now.

Both the Indian men and women's teams have done better than their world rankings.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Table tennis

Post by BSharma »

Indian women blanked Spain 3-0 to earn 25th place and become Champion of Second Division. :bounce: :bounce:

The Indian women will be in the First Division at the next World Championship in 2006, and will vie for 13th-24th place, unless the Indian women's team takes a big leap and the team rank can justify a place in the Championship Division (top 12 teams).
suresh

Table tennis

Post by suresh »

Congratulations to the the Indian men and women for solid performances.
trinanjans

Table tennis

Post by trinanjans »

B Sharma , i need your help:
i bought a TT bat 2 days ago .cost me 765 rs. when i came back home,i found one side of the bat is smooth & Butterfly ,while the other side is dotted for spin & of Hot Shot . Have i been cheated by my vendor ?
i thought i'd better seek an experts help before having a go at the vendor ...
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Table tennis

Post by BSharma »

Smooth and pimpled surfaces serve different purposes, and it is not unusual to have a TT bat similar to the one you purchased. People will use one side for forehand and the other side for backhand depending on your style of play.

Good luck with your bat.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Table tennis

Post by BSharma »

What seems to be common in the names of table tennis players of teams ranked in the top 24 in the world?

Men:
Championship Division
Austria – Chen Weixing
Italy – Yang Min

First Division teams
Croatia – Jiang Weizhong
Norway – Wang Jianfeng
Spain – He Zhiwen

Women: First Division teams
New Zealand – S. Shu; K. Li
USA – J. Gao; T. Bahn
Belgium – Li Yun Fei
Australia – Lay Jian Fang; M. Cho; M. Lee

:eek: :roll: :frown: :-~ :D
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Table tennis

Post by BSharma »

The Indian men's team lost to Nigeria 3-1 and ended up 28th at the World TT Championship at Doha. :(
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Table tennis

Post by BSharma »

World TT Championship in Doha:
Men's team:

China beat Germany 3-0 for 1st place.
South Korea beat Sweden 3-0 for 3rd place.
Austria beat Hong Kong 3-0 for 5th place.
Chinese Taipei beat Italy 3-1 for 7th place.
France beat Belgium 3-0 for 9th place.
Russia beat Japan 3-1 for 11th place.
Czech Republic beat Norway 3-1 for 13th place. (Czech moves up to Championship Division in 2006)
Brazil won the Second Division (25th place) and move up to First Division.
India lost to Nigeria for 27th place.

Women's team:
China beat Hong Kong for 1st place
Japan beat South Korea for 3rd place
Romania beat Russia 3-1 for 5th place
Germany beat Hungary 3-1 for 7th place
Italy beat Singapore 3-2 for 9th place
Belarus beat Chinese Taipei 3-0 for 11th place
Croatia beat Czech Republic 3-1 for 13th place (Croatia moves up to Championship Division in 2006)
India beat Spain for 25th place and moves up to First Division in 2006.
Last edited by BSharma on Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Table tennis

Post by PKBasu »

How the mighty have fallen...Japan (almost synonymous with TT before 1975) have been toppled from the men's Championship division for the next tournament.
I couldn't have imagined that Hong Kong would have been as high as 5th in the world (clearly a result of easier flows of people since the 1997 Handover). Three territories that China claims as part of its own were in the top 7 among men and top 12 among women (although Taiwan now slips from the Championship division among women). And, as Bhushan points out, many of the other top teams comprise of expatriate Chinese!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Table tennis

Post by BSharma »

Yes PKB, the mighty Japan has fallen in men's TT from their glory days. Japan could still make it into the Championship Division in 2006 if the team ranking in Jan 2006 gets them one of the five remaining spots (the top 6 teams in 2004 plus the champion of Division One have already earned their spots for 2006)
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Table tennis

Post by BSharma »

Policy change regarding use of glue:

Table tennis players use glue to attach the rubber and sponge to the wooden blade. Top international players with an offensive style of play will attach rubber to the blade using glue several times a day during a tournament. This is done to increase the speed of the rubber, and gives an advantage over the players with a defensive style. The glue contains organic solvents and are considered a health risk. The Japanese complained about the use of glue with organic solvents, and a new policy will go into effect from 2006 when players will not be allowed to use glue inside the tournament facilities, and from 2007 the use of glue containing organic solvents will be banned. The glue companies are working on developing a water based solvent.
david

Table tennis

Post by david »

Sharmaji, overall how do you rate the Indian performance?

Men and women...what are tha gains.
david

Table tennis

Post by david »

National champion Sharath Kamal of Chennai and Mouma Das of Kolkata qualified for the Athens Olympics finishing 9th and 8th respectively in the qualifier at Beijing according to the TT Federation.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Table tennis

Post by BSharma »

Thanks David for alerting us about the table tennis players qualifying for the Olympics. A report in The Hindu Sharath Kamal, Mouma Das qualify for Athens states, "India's medal hopes at the Olympics received a boost when national men's champion Sharath Kamal and SAF Games women's gold medallist Mouma Das qualified for the table tennis singles event of the Athens Games to be held later this year." I am happy that Indian TT players have qualified for the Olympics but to say that India's medal hopes have received a boost is a bit premature.