Indian Wrestling Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Wrestling Thread ...

Post by Rajiv »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:36 pm It's an interesting name right? Who would name their children "Last"? :-) I mean I have seen more people named Pratham.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/indianexpr ... 0540/lite/
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Eh. This is awful. :-(

Thanks Jay for the link. Yes, the 4th paragraph reads as if it is in Bangla, much more than the rest. I guess the way to check conclusively is to see his contemporaries writing. That is, using current day definitions of Bangla and Sangskrtm, the 4th paragraph is very close to Bangla and the rest are quite further off, although I recognize most of the words and using them without the "am"s at the end will make them in Bangla. But, when did these word endings fall off? Before Bankim Chandra or after him? In that, was he using old language or pure Sangsrtm? Or was it mixed in with Bangla? If I can gather a corpus, I have the tools to analyze these things. Maybe later. Thanks for the discussion. :Offtopic:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

We ended up with only 2 bronze medals in the current world championships. After Vinesh's second medal in womens wrestling, Bajrang Punia got his fourth world championships medal. He lost in QF against American Yianni but came back thru repachages and won bronze winning his 2 bouts coming back from behind against younger wrestlers.

Otherwise it was somewhat disappointing show. Major disappointment was Tokyo silver medalist Ravi Kumar getting teched by his Uzbek opponent in pre quarter final itself and then not even getting repachages. Hope he comes back stronger.

Younger wrestlers are still not coming thru at this level and become medal contenders for olympics. There were 2 in mens freestyle and 1 in womens wrestling who got to the bronze medal matches but lost easily. Still some time before they get into contention at his level.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

New Delhi to host 2023 Asian Wrestling Championship

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sportstar. ... 5.ece/amp/
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Seniors struggle a bit but Greco Roman and junior wrestlers shine in 2022
Senior players struggled while the rise of Greco-Roman wrestlers and exceptional show by the juniors made it an eventful 2022 for Indian wrestling.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebridge. ... ling-38225

Interesting article!!!
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

There is a Google doodle today on Khashaba Jadhav India's bronze medallist at the 1952 Olympics.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Serious allegations against WFI president by top wrestlers including Vinesh Phogat-

'WFI President sexually assaulted wrestlers' alleges Vinesh Phogat as Bajrang, Sakshi join in protest
srini

Post by srini »

Yes, almost all TV channels telecasting live this protest from Jantarmantar. Not sure if the allegations are genuine, as i feel there may be some one who had strong media contacts and is staging all these protests from behind the scenes. Brij Bhushan the current WFI president is a BJP loksabha MP. Obviously Olympic charter proscribes any meddling by government in the functioning of federations, so how in the world can governments fix any wrong doing by federation politicians even if governments are sincere? And how can we know for sure wrestlers (esp veterans like Bajrang and Phogats) are not doing this giimck just to circumvent standard selection trials for qualification tournaments in the runup to Olympics? I would drop the 1-2 medal hope we have from this federation for Paris '24 as in every likelihood IOC would ban Indian federation when government tries to meddle due to the seriousness of allegations.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If there are multiple women alleging this, then there should be a free and fair investigation. The points raised by the athletes should be discussed at least. Why exactly are all these camps always held in Lucknow? There may be a clear explanation but once one side has raised these points, we should find out from the other side what their rationale is.

Having one trial and selecting based on that is bad policy. So, if someone wants to do something to change that, all the power to them.

Sexual abuse is a law and order problem. Our authorities should investigate them and do things that are necessary. That is not governmental intervention.
srini

Post by srini »

Law and order can take its due course if a complaint was ever made. It wasn't so far. If anonymity is the issue am sure Indian system is mature enough not to disclose identity of victims. Brijbhushan may be a politician now, but he had wrestling roots as he himself played the sport once. Its one of the few associations which is bringing medals in every Olympics. There may be lot of scope for overhaul in selection trials, but why are only veteran players whose careers are at sun set more interested in staging protests for disbanding federation and presenting this protest as their fight for younger players?
To my knowledge everyone fights for themselves here and not so magnanimous. This is what makes me suspect about some politician behind the scenes.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Because younger players have more to lose. They usually keep quiet. They could and should file cases and maybe they will but if one does that against an MP and leader of an organization, then they will be retaliated against, sidelined, etc. So, maybe this is the only way they could bring attention to the matter realistically. Wrestling has an ugly background. See the number of retaliations, etc. culminating in Sushil and his goons killing some wrestler. De facto unionisation is the only way to take on powerful forces.

These folks have something to say and they are saying it. That is good. Now let the authorities investigate things. And, let the federation answer why exactly all the camps are in Lucknow. Etc. I like protests. Then, we will see what is true and what is false.
srini

Post by srini »

You are right, we realized wrestling circles are very murky when Sushil killed a junior wrestling champion. Ironically some of these wrestlers who are protesting seem to continue to hold Sushil in high esteem with Ravi Dahiya claiming this about Brijbhushan He has been dominating the federation and all the wrestlers.When Sushil Kumar was here, Bhushan was under control. Sushil is in jail right now and he is not part of any wrestling activities, Bhushan is now doing what he wants. He is just like a dictator"

I am only worried some of these veteran players trying to disband the federation so as to gain undue advantage in selection trials over the younger and probably more deserving wrestlers during the run up to Olympics.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I would not support that change to automatically send seniors. I would want performance over the year to be taken into account in international tournaments. If we have no such data and no national tournaments where the seniors participate, then we must have proper trials. Ideally, we should have tournaments every so often as the human body can take.

In essence, I like this protest. But, I do not want this to create another set of dictators, looters, etc. I want clean policies.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Panel formed to investigate - IOA forms 7-member panel, headed by Mary Kom, to probe sexual harassment charges against WFI president

Dola Banerji and Yogeshwar Dutt are in the panel.

Do the protestors have enough to file a police case? If so, this should be investigated by law enforcement. I don't know what investigation a panel can do.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If it is not criminal and things like verbal harassment, comments, etc., the panel can outline the constant harassment and recommend best practices, e.g., not having the trials/training in the president's backyard, etc. always as policy changes.