Indian Wrestling Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Wrestling Thread ...

Post by sameerph »

In the under 23 world championships in Budapest,Hungary we won 2 silver medals - Ravinder in 61 kgs. mens freestyle and Pooja Gehlot in womens 53 kgs.

Many of the better under 23 wrestlers are already winning medals at senior level - like our own Deepak Punia and Ravi Kumar- and are not participating here. So, this championships is not fully representative of best wrestlers of this age group. Still we should aim to have more medals in this championships so that we have a good bench strength for senior level.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: olympics

Post by prasen9 »

Wrestling still allows only amateurs to perform. Is there a reason? For example, in boxing, the professionals may cause real physical harm to the amateurs. But still boxing allowed professionals since 2016 although in practice most professionals perhaps do not yet participate. Why is wrestling still a holdout? Why not let the best wrestlers win? Or at least allow them to win if they want to participate.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Hmm. Sorry, wrong Olympics thread. This is under Football. Messed up late at night I suppose. I was trying to find something under wrestling. A kind mod may move my post to either the Tokyo Olympics thread please? Or the wrestling threat. Apologies.
Varma

Post by Varma »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:16 pm Hmm. Sorry, wrong Olympics thread. This is under Football. Messed up late at night I suppose. I was trying to find something under wrestling. A kind mod may move my post to either the Tokyo Olympics thread please? Or the wrestling threat. Apologies.
Did you really write that, Prasen? You either partied way too much or your account must have been hacked :p

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Partied too much. Jetlagged after a long flight from China. And, night has become day and day has become night.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Stay away from your friend Mr.Daniel... Jack, that is :)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Will do :-)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:16 pm Hmm. Sorry, wrong Olympics thread. This is under Football. Messed up late at night I suppose. I was trying to find something under wrestling. A kind mod may move my post to either the Tokyo Olympics thread please? Or the wrestling threat. Apologies.
Done. To reply your question, are there any legitimate professional wrestlers around who play the same version of wrestling which is played at olympics ? I mean the only professional wrestling league I know of is WWW format which is all fake.

I am not aware of one if there is. If not the wrestlers who are fighting at the olympics are best wrestlers in the world ( except those restricted by 1 competitior per country rule which you mentioned earlier.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thanks much Sameer for moving my drunk (mis-)posts. [Actually, I do not drink. I may have an occasional wine or beer if people persist. I do not, of course, need to drink to behave drunk at least online :-)]

Of course, the so-called pro-wrestling is entertainment and perhaps martial arts type. I am not talking about that. There used to be a league called Real Pro Wrestling which was the real-deal but that is gone too.

The issue is that wrestling does not really have tournaments etc. and does nothing to encourage the sport at the international level. So, as you know, the IOC wanted to scrap wrestling for 2020. Old news about wrestling being dropped for 2020 which they rescinded then. This will not go long if wrestling does not do anything to make it have international competitions outside the Olympics. Do they have such competitions? Except the Asian Games, etc.

Also, if there are no professional wrestlers, why is wrestling keeping the rule that the fighters have to be amateurs? If some pro-wrestler wants to find out how good she or he is and gets to win their country's nomination, then let them fight. Why is the rule there? It makes no sense to me ... even more so because there are not really any good wrestlers (at least has not been tested yet) who can kill the amateurs in a few minutes as may be the case in boxing. But, then even boxing removed the rule. Something does not add up. Maybe someone who knows more about wrestling as an international sport can explain.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:27 am
The issue is that wrestling does not really have tournaments etc. and does nothing to encourage the sport at the international level. So, as you know, the IOC wanted to scrap wrestling for 2020. Old news about wrestling being dropped for 2020 which they rescinded then. This will not go long if wrestling does not do anything to make it have international competitions outside the Olympics. Do they have such competitions? Except the Asian Games, etc.
Yes, now they have introduced ranking series events (about 3-4 in a year). Then, they have world championships and continental championships every year and also team world cup every year. So,decent amount of competition although not as much as some of the other sports such as Tennis, Badminton etc. which are of course different type of sports. Perhaps in wrestling, a wrestler needs to rest more in between competitions and therefore one cannot have so many frequent tournaments.

It has been one of the oldest sports in olympics. And as a spectator sports, it is much better than say shooting,archery, weightlifting. So, I do not know why it was facing removal from Olympics. Perhaps more of politics.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There is some amount of politics certainly. Thanks for the information about the tournaments. The issue is that the matches are may be very short with respect to duration. In the other sports, like weightlifting, field events, etc. the tension builds as to whether a participant will be able to match the weight/height/length-of-throw of the others. Having said that 100m requires a few seconds but is still electric to watch.

I just wish that they allowed whoever wants to participate participate even if they earn money as professionals.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Trials were held last week to select our team for ranking series in Italy in Jan and Asian championships in Delhi in Feb . These are 2 tournaments before the all important Asian Olympic qualifiers in China in March.

Sushil Kumar skipped these trials siting injury. Jitender Kumar won the trials there in 74 kgs.

In women, world and olympic medalists, Saskhi Malik and Pooja Dhanda lost to 18 year olds Sonam and Anju respectively.

WFI has announced that if those selected win a medal in world championships, they will be automatically selected for Asian qualfiers. Else, there would be fresh trials in February. So, if Jitender and/or Sonam win a medal at Asian championships, Tokyo dreams of Sushil and Sakshi will be over.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Good to see someone new coming up to replace Sakshi who has done nothing in the last 3 years.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

This is why for these sports we need a trial every time irrespective of what the player has done in an international.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Very good performance by our wrestlers in first ranking series of the year in Italy.

These are our medalists-

Mens freestyle

Gold (2) - Bajrang Punia (65Kg) , Ravi Kumar (61 kg)

Women

Gold - Vinesh Phogat (53 kg)
Silver- Anshu (55 kg)

Greco Roman

Gold - Gurpreet Singh (82 kg)
Bronze - Sajan (77 kg)

Another superb effort from Bajrang to beat top 3 Americans in this weight class today. In the final he faced #1 American Jorden Oliver who had gone 21-0 in his earlier 3 bouts while Bajrang had barely scraped thru in all 3 matches. So, based on today's form, Oliver was the favorite and lead 3-0 at half time. But, as his is wont, Bajrang came back strongly to win 4-3. He has a habit to make it happen when it matters.

Ravi Kumar fought in the non-olympic 61 kg class this time as he did want to cut weight twice in a month. So, worth of his gold may not be as much but he won all his bouts with big margins including one over fellow world championships bronze medalist from Kazakhstan.

Vinesh beat 2 strong Chinese opponents to clinch gold- fellow world championships bronze medalist and under 23 world champion.

Other world championship medalist, Deepak Punia lost in first round though. Also good to see 2 medals in Greco Roman.

But, Bajrang, Vinesh and Ravi are real medal prospects for us at Tokyo.