Indian Athletics Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Athletics Thread ...

Post by Varma »

Boy, what a moving story it is! Thanks for sharing it, Jay. In most of those pictures, Tejasvin was wearing a UCLA sweat-shirt. I wonder if he is considering a US college for his under-graduation? I hope he does. Azusa and UCLA are closer to where I live. I wish someone posts his training schedule next time he comes to this area so that I can go and meet him in person. I am pretty sure Jay would love to do that as well.

- Varma
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I was thinking the same thing, Varma!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Fantastic stuff. In Tejaswin and Chopra we have two world-class (or rather, world-beating) junior athletes. I hope they are nurtured well and become Olympic medal contenders by 2020.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

KT Irfan clocked an impressive 1:20:59 timing to win a bronze in the 20km men's event in the Asian Race Walk Championships at Nomi, Japan ... Korea's Kim Hyun-Sub took the gold in 1:19:50 while Georgiy Sheiko of Kazakhstan won the silver in 1:20:47.

In the women's 20km event, Priyanka finished fourth with a time of 1:37:42.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

The shot putter Manpreet Kaur came up with the best throw of 18.86m, which was nearly one meter more than her earlier national record of 17.96m that she had set in 2015 ... She clinched a gold in the first leg of the Asian Grand Prix Athletics at Jinhua, China ... With this performance, Manpreet also qualified for the IAAF World Championships to be held in August in London ... The entry standard for women's shot put in the World Championships stands at 17.75m.

This was huge throw and almost a meter long from a previous national record which created by Manpreet only.

We won 1 Gold, 4 Silver and 2 Bronze medals ... Neeraj Chopra (men's javelin), Tintu Luka (women's 800m), Neena Varakil (women's long jump) and Jinson Johnson (men's 800m) won a silver each while Dutee Chand (women's 100m) and Om Prakash Karhana (men's shot put) bagged a bronze each ... Neeraj had to settle for a silver with a decent effort of 82.11m in men's javelin.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Neeraj Chopra did qualify for world championships with a throw of 83.32 in the second leg of the Asian grand prix in China.

This is a nice article on him -

On a sling and a prayer

It is unfortunate that his Aussie Coach Garry Calvert is no longer with IAAF and has left. Hope he gets right guidance to go further.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Javelin thrower Anu Rani smashed her own national record to win the gold in the 21st Federation Cup National Senior Athletics Championships. Rani threw the javelin to a distance of 61.86m to better her own earlier national mark of 60.01m. In the process, she also qualified for the World Championships to be held in London in August. The qualifying mark for the World Championships stands at 61.40m.

Nirmala Devi also qualified for the World Championships as she won the gold in women's 400m race with a timing of 51.28 seconds. The World Championships qualifying mark for women's 400m stands at 52.10 seconds.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

It seems we always see "significant" improvement when our athletes are qualifying for something. Will get more excited when they are able to repeat the performance at the events which they qualified for.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I thought the same :-) Especially at home. Hope this is good.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Assam's Laimwon Narzary broke a 25-year-old girls' high jump record with a 1.77m effort at the 15th Federation Cup National Junior Athletics Championships ... Laimwon broke Bobby Aloysius's 1992 record of the 1.75m jump.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Good to see a 25 year old junior record being broken. I think 1.77 is very good height for someone so young. Hope the Assamese girl continues her progress upward.

In the meantime, Siddhanth Thingalaya created a national record of 13.48s in the 110 m hurdles in a meet in US and qualified for world championships at London in August.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Good to see Gopi is helping other athletes also.

The Gopichand factor in Dutee's development
She had no idea what to do next. It was coach Nagapuri Ramesh who urged her to continue training and advised her to come over to Hyderabad. "Since I had no place to stay there, he arranged for accommodation at the Gopichand Academy," Dutee told TOI on Monday. She has been staying at the academy since then and training under Ramesh at the Gachibowli Stadium.

On seeing her at the academy for the first time, most of the badminton trainees -including PV Sindhu -thought she was a coach. "I introduced myself and told them I was a sprinter," laughed Dutee, recalling her entry at the academy.

She has since become good friends with Sindhu, Kidambi Srikanth and others. "We often do fitness training together at the stadium," Dutee said.

It was Gopi who was instrumental in linking up Dutee with a German academy. Having picked up valuable tips from German professor Ralf Eckert -who has been appointed by International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) to oversee the growth of athletics in Asian countries.
Varma

Post by Varma »

It was Gopi who was instrumental in linking up Dutee with a German academy. Having picked up valuable tips from German professor Ralf Eckert -who has been appointed by International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) to oversee the growth of athletics in Asian countries.
What the heck? Gopi has to introduce her to someone who was officially appointed by IAAF? What in the world are our athletic federation babu's doing? Can some please throw these guys into a hungry lion's den? :mad: :mad: :mad:

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ok, will do.
Varma

Post by Varma »

I knew I could count on you, Prasen :p

- Varma