Indian Athletics Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Athletics Thread ...

Post by suresh »

Thanks Sameer for sharing this article. I loved the bit about her hating marmalade (which I love).
srini

Post by srini »

So, it is confirmed there that Jyoti did take a dope test in Europe after her race.
Or is it the case where the coach managed to find a dilapidated dope control office that allows its employees to be well oiled ? This fable contains All tell tale signs of being worked up to manage a doping test(literally!) I thought the meets would facilitate or mandate a test right after the competition isn't it so ?
suresh

Post by suresh »

@srini You are being overly cynical.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

suresh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:47 pm @srini You are being overly cynical.
I don't know... I also had similar thoughts as Srini... The way the coach went out of the way to talk about the dope test, felt a bit odd... Maybe I am also turning cynical as I grow old.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I also find the test saga a bit “spinachy.”
srini

Post by srini »

suresh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:47 pm @srini You are being overly cynical.
Now that you mention i am overly cynical, makes me retrospect how i was in the initial days of joining this forum as a youngster.In those days,a good old Dr.Bhushan who was a member of this forum used to call me too optimistic.

But you are right, i too think i probably have become cynical. They say with age comes wisdom, not sure how much of that is true but i can vouch for the fact that following Indian sports one gets more cynical, pessimistic as they age :)
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

srini wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:22 am

So, it is confirmed there that Jyoti did take a dope test in Europe after her race.
Or is it the case where the coach managed to find a dilapidated dope control office that allows its employees to be well oiled ? This fable contains All tell tale signs of being worked up to manage a doping test(literally!) I thought the meets would facilitate or mandate a test right after the competition isn't it so ?
Normally, you would expect a dope test at a competition to be done shortly after the event. The athlete is kept under observation of marshals once he or she is selected for a test. I guess in none of the meets she competed in there was any testing (the report is silent on the two previous instances).
A doping control station will have a small acccommodation for overnight stay if an athlete is unable to provide a urine sample quickly enough.
Despite doubts being expressed in these paras, including by me, I am okay with her performance so far without any clear signs of doping. The variations then would be noticeable. Will have to keep a watch.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

srini wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:11 am

Now that you mention i am overly cynical, makes me retrospect how i was in the initial days of joining this forum as a youngster.In those days,a good old Dr.Bhushan who was a member of this forum used to call me too optimistic.

But you are right, i too think i probably have become cynical. They say with age comes wisdom, not sure how much of that is true but i can vouch for the fact that following Indian sports one gets more cynical, pessimistic as they age :)
U need to learn from PKB ! Eternal optimist!
ssp

Post by ssp »

Couldn't have put this any better. But like gluttons, we keep looking for more and more...pain and heartache
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Don't need to be an optimist or pessimist and look at the data.

Doping is one of the easiest to catch by looking at historical data/progression.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So, what is the problem if the dope test takes place after a day or half a day? The levels in the blood go down sufficiently such that you cannot catch it? I doubt that is the case. Masking agents go out of the system?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Avinash Sable continues his national record breaking spree in mens 3000M steepalchase yesterday in Diamond league meet in Rabat yesterday. He improved national record by almost 4 seconds to clock 8.12.48 and finished creditable fifth in a tough field which included all 3 Tokyo medalists. Gold and silver medalists at Tokyo on gold and silver here too and Avinash was behind these 2 and an Etheopian and Kenyan runner, ahead of Tokyo bronze medalist.

Avinash is now top Asian and favorite for gold in next year's games . At CWG, he will have to contend with a host of Kenyans and will be test for him.
Hope in couple of years time, he can become a contender for and olympic medal but it is tough against so many Africans.
suresh

Post by suresh »

The winner of the Rabat steeplechase clocked 7:58 -- Sable is around 14s behind. That is a huge gap. That being said, Sable is a great talent.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:05 am So, what is the problem if the dope test takes place after a day or half a day? The levels in the blood go down sufficiently such that you cannot catch it? I doubt that is the case. Masking agents go out of the system?
From a procedural point, a dope test is taken shortly after the event when the athlete is kept in sight of the officials. Ths is done in order to ensure the athlete does not pass urine and does not consume anything when unattended. A test is always of the FIRST URINE SAMPLE after competition. Diluted samples may not show up stimulants, for example, in sufficient levels as to identify.
Masking agents are essentially diuretics that help athletes pass large volumes of urine so that the system gets cleared of anything that might have been consumed. Diuretics are also consumed by athletes in weight-specific sport in order to make the weight in a particular category.
Routine dope test is done through urine, not blood.
These are technicalities only. For all we know, this girl is super talent and may not need dope to rise to world level.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a nice article on new talent emerging in Javelin after Neerja Chopra's exploits in Tokyo-

Neeraj Chopra and who else: Four exciting prospects in javelin throw from India