Indian Athletics Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Mugundan
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Athletics Thread ...

Post by Mugundan »

Priya Mohan has made substantial improvement in the 400 metres this season. Now she wants to go for a sub-50s! They can come and (dope) test me at home, she says without being asked about doping suspicions!
https://sportstar.thehindu.com/athletic ... 634233.ece
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Mugundan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:53 am Priya Mohan has made substantial improvement in the 400 metres this season. Now she wants to go for a sub-50s! They can come and (dope) test me at home, she says without being asked about doping suspicions!
https://sportstar.thehindu.com/athletic ... 634233.ece
What is your feel about this? Seems like she actually may not be doping, if she openly talks about it. Plus, her dad is a district judge. Would a judge be that bad as to let his daughter do something unlawful like doping?...
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

True. It is a baffling statement. But her improvement so far is as baffling!. From 53.29 in June to 52.77 in Aug (even if accounting for the altiutude of Nairobi) looks beyond natural progression. Of course it could also be true talent. This latest assertion beats me. But we have to see how much she can improve next year and so on. As for father being a judge and thus unlikely to encourage anything illegal, how could we have imagined a father, a former athlete at the national-international level bringing steroid injection for his daughter and asking the doctor to inject her! (Harmilan Bains father when she tested positive at the age of 14-plus for nandrolone and served a two-year suspension)
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Mugundan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:32 am True. It is a baffling statement. But her improvement so far is as baffling!. From 53.29 in June to 52.77 in Aug (even if accounting for the altiutude of Nairobi) looks beyond natural progression. Of course it could also be true talent. This latest assertion beats me. But we have to see how much she can improve next year and so on. As for father being a judge and thus unlikely to encourage anything illegal, how could we have imagined a father, a former athlete at the national-international level bringing steroid injection for his daughter and asking the doctor to inject her! (Harmilan Bains father when she tested positive at the age of 14-plus for nandrolone and served a two-year suspension)
I could definitely imagine a former athlete doing it to his daughter especially if he did it without consequences.

I have started wondering if the career in sports is really worth the pain. There is just not the very high odds that they have to beat, but also the insane social media pressure that they have to ignore. Are athletes who give up their sports after getting govt job or college scholarship actually the smart ones?

I
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

If the athlete himself/herself was a doper in his/her prime and reaped the benefits or are ambitious to an extent they want to see their children progress in the sport, yes this could be understandable. The majority of today's athletes are looking for jobs, promotions, state awards etc. At the national level there are incentives that may sustain them. At the highest level, the cash awards (apart from name and fame) are too tempting. Some of the states today are offering Rs 6 crores for a gold in Olympics/Paralympics. It is too tempting.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Mugundan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:55 am If the athlete himself/herself was a doper in his/her prime and reaped the benefits or are ambitious to an extent they want to see their children progress in the sport, yes this could be understandable.
Especially if they know that half the track and field athletes dope anyway. So, if a parent suffered by not doping, they may have changed their mind and have their children take the crooked path because their taking the straight path did not work. If the parent doped anyway, the chances are even higher that the children will be given dope.

India has many corrupt judges. And sometimes, it is the coach who gives "supplements" to the athletes without their knowing fully and the parents do not want to find out.
suresh

Post by suresh »

I have heard of parents (in TN) doping their kids at state level events so that they would make it to the Nationals in swimming. A "coach" usually supplies the supplement. The idea is that if you get enough certificates, you qualify for a sports quota to get into college. :-( This info is from a parent whose daughter represented TN in swimming.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

:-( I have seen/heard of allegations/stories of people doing things here too although I did not ever see it first-hand. Some of it is possibly true.

I think like an anti-smoking campaign, we should do an anti-doping PR campaign broadly showing people graphic images of the harm these drugs can cause in the long run. Otherwise, there is no hope. :-(
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

Neeraj Chopra to train at Chula Vista. Away from distractions in India, attending this or that function, Govt or private, this should prove beneficial for the Olympic champion, hopefully.
https://sportstar.thehindu.com/athletic ... 829343.ece
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Good idea to train in San Diego, CA, one of the few places in the US that doesn't have a severe winter (i.e., no prospect of snow, and temperatures higher than in the Delhi area during the winter months).
The longer Neeraj Chopra stays in India, the more he will be subjected to the celebrity frenzy, and the lower will be his chances of remaining atop his sport. The inane commercials he is part of are pretty depressing for a sports fan. Get him out of India, fast!!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Totally agree. Get him out of India. San Diego is a really great place for the winter months. Just about a 2 hour drive for me, so maybe I could even go and see if I can catch him.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:31 am ... go and see if I can catch him.
I think he used to be a fat guy who did not like running. Chances are you will be able to catch him even though he has slimmed down. Well, unless he spears you with his javelin because he does not want to be caught.

So the bottomline is that he will get away from the frenzy in India but cannot get away from the frenzy and adulation of Jay (and J-type Indians). :-) Still, given the relative numbers of Indians in India vs the US, this is a great idea.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Some astonishing results in Fed Cup athletics particularly in mens long jump. Murli Srishankar broke his own national record with a jump of 8.36M and Jeswin Aldrin went 1 better with a 8.37M. However, Jaswin jump was wind assisted and would not count as national record. Both these marks would have earned them a medal in Tokyo olympics.

Also in womens 400M, a new name Aishwarya Kaila Mishra clocked 51.18 sec which is third best timing by an Indian ever.

This is a CWG and Asian games year. So, such kind of performances usually happen .
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

sameerph wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:05 pmThis is a CWG and Asian games year. So, such kind of performances usually happen .
Brilliant, Sameer!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Priya Mohan kept out of the national team because she would not train in the camp. I do not know whom to believe because they say that they are regularly testing her and things have been fine.