Indian Athletics Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Orang
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Athletics Thread ...

Post by Orang »

Amit Khatri update.

I do not think that we are too far from at least top 5 placements in the walking events.

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spo ... 514370.cms
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

In a country of a billion walkers, we should have some walking talent.
Mugundan
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Mugundan »

jayakris wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:20 pm
Mugundan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:29 pm Here's a sprinter who has suddenly come up to 10.28s for the 100m! Services championships often produce some sensational results but once into the mainstream of Indian national campers and national competitions these athletes do not come up to expectations.
Doubts arise when athletes are competing for the first time this season as some of these athletes were in this meet.
https://sportstar.thehindu.com/athletic ... 312803.ece
So, what is the story on this guy KS Pranav. I find that he was the national school sports meet 100m winner (with Jisna Mathew on the girl's side) at Kozhikode in 2015, six years ago, and had a 10.84s then. I can't find anything on him after that. Where was he?
Pranav did 10.81 in Kozhikode in 2016 (was it 2015?), same year clocked 10.83 for first in State junior meet, was 6th in inter-university in 107 with 10.78 (10.70 PB in heats); was fourth in semis of National in the same year at Chennai (did not go into final), did a 10.39 for third in the Army championships in Pune on Sept 10 (which are dubious timings), did 10.50s for fifth at Open in Ranchi on Oct 11, 2019 (which could be considered as his genuine PB). He was also part of the Indian team that won the silver behind Sri Lanka in the South Asian Games in Kathmandu.
From that to 10.28s now looks impossible.
Indian sprinters, going by the example of the past 10 years or more, clock good timings in the odd meet, may even better the National record and then slowly go down. Amiya Mallick after his 10.26 NR in 2016 has steadily gone down. This season his best is 10.49s. This season Gurindervir Singh has clocked 10.27, 10.30 and 10.32. He recently talked about bettering the NR, eventually making the Olympic team and (yes, every athlete dreams of this), winning a medal for India in Olympics!
We have to wait and see how much these athletes clock in an international meet. Gurindervir had, for example, 10.35 PB in 2019 and clocked 10.81s for 6th at SAG Kathmandu. He now aims for Ol.ympic medal! Exposure abroad forf our sprinters would be limited and we may have to just depend on meets at Pataiala or Sangrur or Ranchi. Unless NADA steps up, vegetarianism (as you term it sometimes) would prevail!
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

Atithee wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:10 pm Or that the PBs are dubious and their real capabilities are what they achieved at Olympics.
In a majority of the cases that is the reality. At home or in obscure meets in Europe they clock PBs and NRs and then when the real test comes, they fail.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/other- ... 2021-09-08

Not sure I understand the rationale behind making people eligible for nations highest awards evening even if they are doping violators.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

In extreme cases, e.g., if one had a violation as a 16-year old due to pressures of a coach and then came clean for the rest of their lives, at say age 36, after a clean career, I may be fine. We need to forgive the genuinely repentant.

In this case, it seems they are saying that Amit's doping was "accidental". I am not so sure.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

Sreeshankar to have a new coach after poor performance at Tokyo

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/athletic ... 435177.ece

Only athletes with medal-winning potential to be sent for Commonwealth Games
https://sportstar.thehindu.com/athletic ... 441637.ece
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Harmilan Bains who is a daughter of 2 former athletes has broken the long stading national record in womens 1500M of Sunita Rani yesterday. Ironically, that national record was achieved at 2002 Asian games where Harmilan's mother Madhuri won silver in womens 800M.

This is an article on here-

New 1500m record in the bag, Harmilan Bains finds her own path, out of parents' shadow

A medal in the next year's Asian games certainly seems good with this timing although gold there would not be easy as a Japanese athlete clocked 4.02+ at Tokyo olympics and reached the final.

If she can cut another 10 sec as she says her goal is even a medal at an olympics is possible but that is a big if.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

That is good news on Harmilan Bains! Looks like we have started producing a lot of decent to good athletes lately in India.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

jayakris wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:49 pm That is good news on Harmilan Bains! Looks like we have started producing a lot of decent to good athletes lately in India.
We can easily get carried away Jay. But I for one will wait over the next couple of years. Will she be able to make the cut for next year's World championships? Possibly she would be. Then what? That will remain the big question till the championships. And that will give us a clube about Paris Olympics also. Already social media is talking about an Olympic medal! Too early to say whether she would be able to clock a qualifying time. Through world rankings, it could be possible.
Her progression has been abnormal through the past three or four years. She doesn't seem to tire at all while running at an even pace almost throughout a 1500m, stepping up only with around 250 metres to go for the finish. Even after clocking the record, she looked hardly exhausted by the effort. Too good to be true from my perspective.
One important point which I doubt whether you people are aware of: She was caught for doping in the CBSE championships in 2012 (not the 2015 one which is mentioned in the article here). Nandrolone, the same that Sunita Rani was caught with in the Busan Asian Games and later reprieved thanks to the bungling by the Seoul lab.
Interestingly, the doctor who gave her an injection testified before the doping panel in person! The drug was Durabolin (commonly used in Indian athletics) which is nandrolone. He told the panel the injection was brought by her father and he administered it on the advice of her father! (It is a different matter the doctor could have been proceeded against by relevant authorities for administering a Durabolin injection to a 15-year-old girl). He said he was not aware of the fact that she was an athlete.
She served a two-year ban and came back to track.
Her 2021 success has been outstanding. But somewhere something is amiss. Having twice clocked 4:08 (Olympic standard 4:04.20), she was expcetd to go for it in the final meet (inter-State) for qualification. She did try but managed only 4: 15.52. I will wait for next year and I will keep a watch on any story related to spinach sale picking up in Punjab during an year which will see two multi-discipline games in which India would figure apart from the World championships (The Junior championships are also schedule though it is not related to Bains).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Mugundan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:09 pm One important point which I doubt whether you people are aware of: She was caught for doping in the CBSE championships in 2012 (not the 2015 one which is mentioned in the article here). Nandrolone, the same that Sunita Rani was caught with in the Busan Asian Games and later reprieved thanks to the bungling by the Seoul lab.
Interestingly, the doctor who gave her an injection testified before the doping panel in person! The drug was Durabolin (commonly used in Indian athletics) which is nandrolone. He told the panel the injection was brought by her father and he administered it on the advice of her father! (It is a different matter the doctor could have been proceeded against by relevant authorities for administering a Durabolin injection to a 15-year-old girl). He said he was not aware of the fact that she was an athlete.
She served a two-year ban and came back to track.
Oh... I didn't know. Strike her from the list. Out. I don't care what her natural talent is, but if this is what the parents are trying, just ban her, and kick her out of there.

But why doesn't our news papers check these things?

Actually why doesn't somebody keep a proper list of this online - all the athletes who are ever caught doping. Or is there such a place to check on Indian athletes? Shall we start a page here, if not?
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

The National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) keeps a list of athletes caught for doping and sanctioned (or reprieved) by disciplinary panel on its website. It is from 2009 when NADA was born.
The list is reliable though it may not be up to date. (Bains is there at 369)
https://www.nadaindia.org/upload_file/d ... 400444.pdf
suresh

Post by suresh »

Thanks Mugu for the update on Harmilan Bans.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Re: Harmilan Bains—A “cook” helped solve her problems. Ironical when we talk of spinach. And, doping was a result of “toncillitis” meds. Her menstrual cycle caused slower timing. Not sure what’s true and what’s not.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... d-7513889/
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Those are usual excuses. I am sure Bains doped. In fact she was caught. Given this and the sudden improvement in times, it is highly probable that she is doping. The problem is that half the athletes are doping internationally and the others are facing pressure to dope. She has to not be on substances when she is competing abroad and being regularly tested by non-sympathetic people. Let her do some good time abroad and in top competitions and get tested and then I will know she is clean and is actually good. I do not get excited by national records set in India. I will be very excited if someone breaks a national record abroad under doping scrutiny.