Indian Boxing Thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Boxing Thread

Post by sameerph »

It does not seem like there was any controversy around judging there. From the news reports, the result seemed fair.

Selection trials were done for women and men and these are our final teams for olympic qualifiers in China in February-

Men-
52kg Amit
57kg Gaurav Solanki
63kg Manish Kaushik
69kg Vikas Krishan
75kg Ashish Kumar
81kg Sachin Kumar
91kg Naman Tanwar
91kg +Satish Kumar

Women
51 kg Mary Kom
57 kg Sakshi Chadhary
60 kg Simranjeet Chaker
69 kg Lovlina Borhohain
75 kg Pooja Rani

In men, couple of surprises. Kavinder Bisht who had reached QF at recent world championships got beaten by Gaurav Solanki and Vikas Krishan comes back from his pro sojourn and wins his spot easily.

Hope we get maximum spots at the Asian qualifiers. Then, we can talk of possible medals.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:29 am It does not seem like there was any controversy around judging there. From the news reports, the result seemed fair.
Actually some people did kick up a "biased judging" thing. It wasn't as one-sided a fight as the 9-1 score from the 10 judges would make it sound, etc. It wasn't going to go too far, but that doesn't stop some folks. Par for the course, I guess.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, there may be some disgruntled elements. But, overall i did not read anywhere that it was blatantly unfair or something of that sort of. More discussion on Mary's behavior and all.

Anyway, happy that Mary was made to fight and earn her spot. In fact all the boxers had to go thru the trials except Amit Panghal who got direct entry for the reason of having made the finals at the world championships.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

sameerph wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:59 am In fact all the boxers had to go thru the trials except Amit Panghal who got direct entry for the reason of having made the finals at the world championships.
Amit and Manish Kaushik receive a direct entry as the WC medal winners.
This was a fair trial organized by BFI with 10 judges.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

What are the international tournaments in boxing? Is each country always restricted to one entry in international tournaments in each weight group?

Why does boxing have an age limit (40) in the Olympics?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

You can find many country's federations organize international tournaments ... on the AIBA site, you will find important tournaments calendar.
AIBA CALENDAR 2020
International boxing events

Yes, there is the restriction of one entry in each weight group for every nation in international tournaments.

Not a clear indication about age limit by the AIBA, but they call them 'elite boxers'. :D
Before 2013, the age limit for the Olympic games was 19-34, which increased to 19-40.
Age limit for boxers at the Olympics raised to 40
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

They should do away with the one boxer per country limit. Also, even if India's top boxer won a medal in a world event, they should be made to go through a qualifying. The reason is to give young boxers a chance. If we have a prodigy and a boxer who is world class, the world class can be getting a bronze and blocking the prodigy who would be gold medal quality. Granted this is possibly a rare case but there should be no free passes to even world medalists if there is a one boxer per country limit. Also, the AIBA should be flexible if there is a genuine injury for a top boxer or a challenger in a category to ensure that the best players represent the country.

Thanks for all the pointers. Whatever they call it, remove the age limit and I say remove the one boxer per country limit too.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

1 boxers per country or similarly only 1 wrestler per country in one weight class is the rule that has been followed in boxing and wrestling since very long. There are also restrictions per country in other sport too at the olympics. I do not thing there is any event where more than 2 athletes can participate in an event. In effect, they do not want all the 3 medals to be swept by 1 country.

The restrictions are more severe in boxing/wrestling. Not sure of the reason by probably they may allow 2 competitors here too like other events.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I like better athletes to win irrespective of their affiliation. It also makes things weird in that Iran #2 may be better than Asia #2 in say wrestling. Or as my Iranian friend always corrects me: "in kusti".
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Yes but that would affect the watchability of the games. Would you like to see Chinese national championship in badminton(about a decade back) or similar such things. I mean you may but I am talking about normal people. Not that you are abnormal 😉
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Yeah and for that you do have separate tournaments called the world championships, Asian Games and in specific cases: "Nationals" The Olympics spirit symbolizes coming together of all nations including the lesser known nations in those sports which otherwise wouldn't have been represented if we had gone in with pure rankings. Medal tally is just one facet of what Olympics is about. Otherwise we'd have Tennis run over by the Europeans and Americans, probably never had seen Monica Puig win that medal.. Heck, not even that Paes bronze. These act as an inspiration back home and pay dividends which you won't read about in papers
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I get it that normal people would want their countries winning artificially inflated medals but I guess I am abnormal in that I want the best to win irrespective of the country they are from. I understand that Olympics have this issue about bringing together sportsmen from NOCs etc.

Maybe the gold medalists can claim that they are the best in the world but this mechanism devalues the silver medalists and bronze medalists' achievements. They are certainly not the world #2 or world #3 in these sports.

I understand that Olympic Boxing has had a tradition in amateurism and only in Rio did they allow professionals to come in. Then, World Boxing threatened bans on those who went to the Olympics. It will perhaps take time for boxing at the Olympics to be anything but a joke or an amateurish event but it took tennis some time to become a decent tournament at the Olympics. All this articulated here

Until then, perhaps we should win a few medals and be happy.

As an aside, I do not really know if the so-called world championships, Asian Games, etc. in these sports such as wrestling and boxing are really the ones where the top players in the world get rewarded. It seems there is no international tournament in boxing where the top boxers are rewarded. The tournaments merely rank the order among the best players of each country. That too among largely amateurs although that restriction has been removed on paper.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

The Asian olympic boxing qualifiers started yesterday in Jordan.

Among men our only boxer to be seeded in Amit Panghal who is seeded #1 in mens 52 kgs. In women, 3 Indians are seeded - Marykom is seeded #2 in 51 kgs, Lovlina Borgohain seeded #2 in 69 kgs while Pooja Rani seeded # 4 in 75 kgs.

2 Indian boxers - Ashish in 75 kgs and Gaurav Solanki in 57 kgs. easily won their first round bouts yesterday to move to PQF. In 5 other weight categories, our men already got a bye to PQF while Satish Kumar in 91+ kgs has moved to QF. There are 6 who qualify in the lower 3 weight categories, 5 in the next 3 and 4 in the last 2. So, in some cases only 1 win can take Indian male boxers to qualify for Tokyo, 2 wins will certainly take them there.

In women, 6 qualfiers in lowest weight category (Marykom) and 4 in other 4 categories- Lovlina and Pooja Rani already got a bye to QF. So, they will need only 1 win to qualify for Tokyo, mostly Mary too will need only 1.

At Rio, we had only 3 male boxers qualify. We can certainly expect many more this time.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Our 2 Women boxers, Sakshi and Simranjit won against tough opponents from Thailand and Kazakhstan respectively and move to QF. So, 4 out of 5 women boxers now are 1 win away from Tokyo olympics.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Mary will need at least 2 wins (not 1). If she loses in QF, there will be a box-off to decide the qualifiers between losing QFs. Similarly on the men's side, only Satish in 91+ category needs only 1 win; all others need at least 2 (some 3 if they lose the QF bout, since there will potentially be 2 rounds of box-offs).