Indian Boxing Thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Indian Boxing

Post by BSharma »

Before taking on the physical torture of boxing, perhaps you should see if you have the mental strength to take some abuse. Go and write some negative stuff about Sania Mirza in her thread and see if you can duke it out with her many fans. :devil:

Just kidding, and please don't do what I suggested above. :D

There are some schools, mainly the old British run schools, that still teach boxing in India. However, it is limited to the school children. You could talk with the teacher involved in coaching the kids in boxing and he could agree to train you. The Indian army is also involved in boxing and you could talk with them in your city.

I did boxing in my school days but I would not want to do it again. People are using it in USA as a way to do physical training, but limit their boxing to the punching bag only.
IAS

to moi MOD!

Post by IAS »

Hey.....I ws taken aback for a moment!! :eek:
newys I'm practisin near my local stadium..and yep I hav with me a person wo' frm a nearby battalion...tass wy our boxin medals com frm soldiers or officers in ARMY!

thx MOD

PS: and for takin it out on sania.... :devil: i don't need to do it....2days paper hav already done a lot!
mugu
Authors
Authors

Indian Boxing

Post by mugu »

Merykom retains World championship title
PTI report:
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2005/oct/02box.htm
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Indian Boxing

Post by jaydeep »

Congrats Merykom her third medal at the World Boxing Championship ... Two golds and one silver.

First World Cup Boxing Championship at Pennsylvania, US in 2001 - Silver Medal in light flyweight category.

Second World Cup Boxing Championship at Tonsberg, Norway in 2004 - Gold Medal and Best Boxer

Third World Boxing Championships at Podolsk, Russia in 2005 - Gold Medal.

jaydeep.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Indian Boxing

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote:How did we go from the sublime to the ridiculous within a fortnight? Winners of the Commonwealth team title, and now down to just one semifinalist at the Asian Championships?
mugu (or anybody else) -- I have not followed boxing all that closely, but I too am curious about this question that PKB asked a month back. What is the deal?

Also, is there women's boxing at the upcoming Asiad?

Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Indian Boxing

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote:Also, is there women's boxing at the upcoming Asiad?
As per Official 15th Asian Games site ...
It is recommended that for female boxers there should be 12 weight categories, beginning at 45 kg, with the final category being 81kg+.
15th Asian Games - Doha

So wishfully we will see Women's Boxing in this Asiad.

And lack of quality of opponents produced wrong picture about us from Commonwealth team title to only one semifinal appearance in the Asian Championships.

Jaydeep.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Indian Boxing

Post by mugu »

jayakris wrote:
PKBasu wrote:How did we go from the sublime to the ridiculous within a fortnight? Winners of the Commonwealth team title, and now down to just one semifinalist at the Asian Championships?
I too am curious about this question that PKB asked a month back. What is the deal?
Jay
Commonwealth championships would have been tougher than this normally. Obviously some of the top countries might not have sent their best boxers. A better yardstick always will be the Commonwealth Games.
This is true of all sports disciplines in which there are Commonwealth championships, eg. shooting, weightlifting.
Asian boxing or Asian Games will always be tougher, especially with the arrival of the Central Asian Republics into our area. Uzbekistan is one of the top boxing teams in the world. (And the others are not too far behind)The Thais have been in the forefront at the world level for quite some time and so, too, the Koreans.
I haven't had the chance to go through the results in details, either of the Commonwealth championships or that of the Asians.
As Jaydeep pointed out, women's boxing is part of the next Asian Games programme, though categories are yet to be defined.
Reports today have said that there would be four weight categories in women's boxing at the Beijing Olympics. I am not sure about that.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Indian Boxing

Post by jayakris »

Thanks mugu. So, we do have some medal hopes in women's boxing at Doha - though the Asian competition is not easy, I guess.

Jay
mugu
Authors
Authors

Indian Boxing

Post by mugu »

jayakris wrote:Thanks mugu. So, we do have some medal hopes in women's boxing at Doha - though the Asian competition is not easy, I guess.

Jay
Asian championships in women's section has been easy for the likes of Merykom and for a few other boxers, too. So, Doha should not be all that difficult. The men always find Asians/AG tougher than the Commonwealth/Commonwealth Games.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Indian Boxing

Post by jayakris »

OK, that makes sense. Hoping for some good stuff from our women boxers, to add to some women's tennis medals I am counting in as new things at Doha for us.

I guess it may be time to start a Doha Asiad thread soon.

Jay
India1989

Indian Boxing

Post by India1989 »

Well if we don't come out in top 10 countries in 2006 Asian games then I am so mad.

Anyways what is the 40th sport that is going to be played at Doha.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Indian Boxing

Post by jayakris »

Here is a nice article about Mery Kom.

http://us.rediff.com/sports/2005/oct/04mery.htm

Good to see the lady get some nice coverage lately.

Jay
India1989

Indian Boxing

Post by India1989 »

It was a good article.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Indian Boxing

Post by mugu »

arjun2761

Indian Boxing

Post by arjun2761 »

Mery Kom may be a very good opportunity for India to medal in the 2008 Olympics since it is a new sport with relatively low participation -- many of the weight categories at the world championship had no more than 8 participants. However, two barriers could arise -- (1) Mery Kom fights in the lowest 46 Kg weight class while the lowest weight class in the Olympics may well be 52 or 54 Kgs and (2) did not see any Chinese presence in this championship. Typically, one would expect them to dominate events such as these with their rigorous training regimen (like they now dominate women's weightlifting).