Indian Boxing Thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Boxing Thread

Post by sameerph »

Yes, that is great achievement by Nikhat Zareen. I am not sure about if everone who matters was there but we should surely have Nikhat as one of the prospects of olympic medal when we start making the list for Paris.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I was going to ask you just that - on whether we should consider her a prospect. Seems very much like she has a chance. Good to see us keeping our presence in the women's boxing domain.
kaustav
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by kaustav »

ssp wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:46 pm Nikhat Zareen has won the 52kg gold at world championship :bounce: :bounce:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

2 strong countries in China (covid) and Russia (ban) were not competing, otherwise the event saw decent participation. So Nikhat seems to be a strong medal prospect, even if Gold may be hard. However other than her, the performance from the rest of the contingent was pretty ordinary. Only 2 other boxers entered the SFs, and since China/Russia will likely be back at the Olympics and the competition will get tougher with the reduction of weight categories, I don't think we have another strong medal prospect.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Nikhat won gold in 52-54 kg weight category while Olympic will have 50-54 kg weight category I think. So, it will be wider and tougher field. Still, we can consider Nikhat as medal prospect.

Hope Lovlina too gets back in reckoning by that time.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

sameerph wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:51 pm Nikhat won gold in 52-54 kg weight category while Olympic will have 50-54 kg weight category I think. So, it will be wider and tougher field. Still, we can consider Nikhat as medal prospect.

Hope Lovlina too gets back in reckoning by that time.
It's good that the wider category has lighter weights included. Nikhat (and others in 52-54 category) should have an advantage when the categories are merged.
srini

Post by srini »

Whats this confusion about Olynpic qualifiers? Seems US and a few nations are trying to boycott Russia but how come the tournament held in New Delhi become a collateral damage in the maneuvers between West and Russia?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Because tournament held in New Delhi is being organized by IBA which is controlled by Russians it seems. So, IBA advertises it olympic qualifying event while in reality it is not as IBA cannot decide on olympic qulification rules as it is banned by IOC presently. All a mess.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Women world's championship

50kg - Nikhat beats Ismayilova 🇦🇿
52 kg - Sakshi beats Jose Martinez 🇨🇴
54 kg - Preeti beats Lakotar 🇭🇺
81+ kg - Nupur beats Abiola 🇬🇾
srini

Post by srini »

Seems a total of 11 nations(US and all its European satellite states...so in a sense one can say only nation is boycotting)joined a US led boycott of the IBA sponsored world championship in Delhi. To counter this and to motivate nations to send their athletes IBA has announced decent rewards for winning medals at this tournament.
:Offtopic:
Tired of seeing US and its Euro friends bringing sports into their petty politics over Ukraine war. How are athletes responsible for the autocratic leaders actions. When US led NATO invaded Iraq and couldn't find a single WMD, did any nation boycott tournaments in US or NATO countries? They waged a war for 20 years only to see Taliban back in power. In retrospect Russia could have done a better job of bringing US led war mongering to a halt by doing what US is doing now.

Its so obvious that all these US led wars are a result of lobbying from its private defense industry for their own sustenance. They need to constantly test and improve their weaponry and what better way than to do in an actual war setting rather than simulations?! India for a long time in its Nehruvian idealistic thinking banned private players and took the stance of not exporting any weapons out of moral high ground. Gone are those days, and India also started allowing private industry into defense and is aggressively making sales pitch for its LCA Tejas fighter jets and Brahmos missiles. If Mods think this is not relevant here, please move to a relevant thread.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Nehru is not idealistic but seems like a enemy agent. Pardon me for my words
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Saffron, could you please say more about enemy agent post? I didn’t get what you’re trying to say. Are you saying Nehru was more like an enemy agent, i.e., didn’t act in India’s interests?
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Leave it....I am not sure what is true or false!!!! Sometimes Nehru seems to be a great statesman, other times he seems to be a villian!!!!!
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Boxing World C'ships: Four boxers storm into finals, Nikhat eyes another gold Nikhat Zareen, Nitu Ghangas, Saweety Boora, and Lovlina Borgohain reached the finals of the Boxing World Championships

https://thebridge.in/boxing/world-champ ... ium=social
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Nitu ghanghas wins gold and now World Championship!!!