Indian Boxing Thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Boxing Thread

Post by jaydeep »

Dinakaran wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:56 am Olympics qualification slots are available in this championship?
No direct qualification, their performances will be count for ranking points and based on that, the boxers will qualify for Tokoyo Olympic.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

At 2 medals, this is already our best ever showing at the worlds but dil maange more :p
depleter

Post by depleter »

jaydeep wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:30 am
Dinakaran wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:56 am Olympics qualification slots are available in this championship?
No direct qualification, their performances will be count for ranking points and based on that, the boxers will qualify for Tokoyo Olympic.
No, AIBA is completely cancelled by IOC so this championship will not effect olympic qualification at all. The olympic qualification is directly done by IOC next year.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Sanjeet lost in a split decision 4-1. The Russian judge gave it to us but not the others.

Men's Heavyweight (81-91kg)
[QF] Sanjeet Kumar (IND) l (7) Julio Cesa Castillo Torres (ECU) 1-4 (27-30, 28-29, 29-28, 28-29, 28-29)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Kavinder Bisht lost 0-5 against British boxer who apparently was pretty good.

Still, 2 medals is our best haul at a world championships. Panghal meets Kazakhstan's Saken Bibossinov, who stunned Armenia's European gold-medallist and sixth seed Artur Hovhannisyan in QF. Kaushik will meet Cuban top seed Andy Gomez Cruz.

Looks pretty tough for Manish to go any further but hope Panghal goes to the gold medal match.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

depleter wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:59 am No, AIBA is completely cancelled by IOC so this championship will not effect olympic qualification at all. The olympic qualification is directly done by IOC next year.
Thanks depleter for this info.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, Asian olympic qualification tournament will be held in February 2020 in Wuhan,China where 4 to 6 olympic spots will be awarded per weight category. Hopefully we will get a lot of our boxers qualified from there. Then, there is final world qualifying tournament to be held in May 2020 which will be the last chance for the non-qualified boxers to qualify.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Amit Panghal create history by becoming the first Indian male boxer to reach a final of a world championships by winning his bout by a split decision of 3-2 against a Kazakh boxer. :clap:

I have not seen the bout but many are expressing surprise that 2 judges gave the contest to Kazakh when Amit completely dominated the bout.

Manish Kaushik lost his SF against the top seeded Cuban boxer by 0-5 verdict and got the bronze.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Congratulations to Amit Panghal for being the first Indian male boxer to reach world championship final! :clap: :clap:
Now, go get the GOLD!!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:56 amAmit Panghal create history by becoming the first Indian male boxer to reach a final of a world championships
It's actually quite amazing to me that we have never had a finalist in boxing world championships... But then again, I have to remind myself of 23 years ago, when we had not won a single individual medal at Olympics in 44 years, and I knew of only Wilson Jones and Michael Ferreira in amateur billiards as a #1 ranked sportsmen in the world, ever. Padukone too, maybe. Then 4th place finishers Usha and Milha. That's all I knew then. We have come quite a ways now, for me to be a bit surprised about Amit Panghal's feat in boxing.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

jayakris wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:16 am
sameerph wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:56 amAmit Panghal create history by becoming the first Indian male boxer to reach a final of a world championships
It's actually quite amazing to me that we have never had a finalist in boxing world championships... But then again, I have to remind myself of 23 years ago, when we had not won a single individual medal at Olympics in 44 years, and I knew of only Wilson Jones and Michael Ferreira in amateur billiards as a #1 ranked sportsmen in the world, ever. Padukone too, maybe. Then 4th place finishers Usha and Milha. That's all I knew then. We have come quite a ways now, for me to be a bit surprised about Amit Panghal's feat in boxing.
Just to put it in perspective, within the last month, we have

Won 5 golds at a shooting world cup in Olympic events
Won gold at the badminton world championships
Won 3 medals at the wrestling world championships
Won 2 medals including a silver or gold at the boxing world championships
Had a 4th place (3rd with Olympic eligibility rules) at the weightlifting world championships.

We have a long way from 1996 to 2019, and 2020 has to be our best ever Olympics. Will be heartbreaking if we can't beat London.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:23 amWe have a long way from 1996 to 2019, and 2020 has to be our best ever Olympics. Will be heartbreaking if we can't beat London.
Heck, let us get some 10 medals next year and start thinking of bidding for the 2032 Kochi Olympics (actually anywhere other than Delhi)
depleter

Post by depleter »

jayakris wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:39 am
Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:23 amWe have a long way from 1996 to 2019, and 2020 has to be our best ever Olympics. Will be heartbreaking if we can't beat London.
Heck, let us get some 10 medals next year and start thinking of bidding for the 2032 Kochi Olympics (actually anywhere other than Delhi)
It is exactly what IOA is thinking. They had already sent a letter of interest that they will organize 2032 olympics. They are thinking of hosting 2026 youth olympics, 2030 Asian games and then 2032 olympics. And the cities they mentioned are Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and Bhubaneswar. But for them to get the olympics an improved performance in the olympics is surely required. They are aiming for double digits this time, 25 in 2024 and 35-40 in 2028....... ( :rofl: :rofl: at those 2024 and 2028 numbers)
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spo ... 709694.cms
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Amit's bout in progress.

Lost in an unanimous decision 5-0. Think he was way too passive in the first round which cost him.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Anyway, lost to Rio olympic champion. So, no shame in that. I did not see the bout, 0-5 looks a comprehensive defeat. But comments on twitter suggest it was a close bout. Anyway, no doubt now that Amit will be in the top category of our medal hopefuls for Tokyo.