Indian Weightlifting Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: Indian Weightlifting Thread ...

Post by ssp »

Great news.

A quick search shows the Rio winner at this weight lifted 92 +108 kgs & 2nd placed lifter achieved 85 +107, so this is very encouraging (if no 'vegetables' are involved ;) )

At Rio, Mirabai Chanu managed 84 kg & 3 failed attempts at 104/106
Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Varma »

Damn, it. This event took place in my backyard and I didn't even know :mad: :mad: :mad:

BTW, congratulations, Chanu! Hoping that your diet did not include Palak-Paneer!

- Varma
srini

Post by srini »

jayakris wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:43 am I am sorry to ask, but how can I not? She is not a vegetarian or anything, is she? If not, then this is indeed some great news.
There are no immediate answers i am afraid, So far only Palak paneer is banned but we will definitely know if she is vegetarian by 2030 or so when the Spinach testing body expands the banned substances to Aloo palak , sarso ka saag etc. I am loving this expanded variety of vegetarian dishes and retro testing to find them. Who would have thought Chinese who loved meat that included snakes and lizards had been on strict vegetarian diet for Beijing olympics, part of the reason China and Russia were banned and Mira Chanu had this great opportunity in a depleted field (of vegetarians).
Vegetarian or not, lets rejoice the medal atleast until the next set of banned veg dishes are published ! I guess following link explains how the field got depleted

http://www.bbc.com/sport/weightlifting/41468023
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

srini wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:28 am
jayakris wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:43 am I am sorry to ask, but how can I not? She is not a vegetarian or anything, is she? If not, then this is indeed some great news.
There are no immediate answers i am afraid, So far only Palak paneer is banned but we will definitely know if she is vegetarian by 2030 or so when the Spinach testing body expands the banned substances to Aloo palak , sarso ka saag etc. I am loving this expanded variety of vegetarian dishes and retro testing to find them. Who would have thought Chinese who loved meat that included snakes and lizards had been on strict vegetarian diet for Beijing olympics, part of the reason China and Russia were banned and Mira Chanu had this great opportunity in a depleted field (of vegetarians).
:rofl: :notworthy:
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I would be surprised if she wasn't on the diet.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Mirabai has been subjected to back-to-back dope testing by ‘Dope Control Officers’ of Nada ... Also Mirabai's blood and urine samples were collected twice by the IWF, first on November 12 in Las Vegas where a preparatory camp was going on and then on November 28 when she won the gold.

Lifter Mirabai Chanu underwent four dope tests in a month
Tolamu

Post by Tolamu »

Is it under WADA's instruction or discrimination? Usually I don't trust weightlifters. Even without their knowledge, coaches have a history of doping them.
I will be devastated if she's tested +ve.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

2018 IWF World Championships is starting today. Where is Meerabai chanu? I don't see her in the list of athletes. Is she still injured? There is no information on the Indian Weightlifting Federation site. There absolutely no news on internet as well.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Mirabai has chosen to skip it as she is just returning from training, it seems.

A virtually unrecognizable young Indian squad heads into World Weightlifting Championships
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

In the world weightlifting championships, in the 49 kg class ( where Mirabai Chanu won gold last year), the Thai Chayuttra Pramongkhol won the gold with a whooping total lift of 209 kg. This is 13 kgs more than Mirabai's career best lift 196 kg achieved in the CWG early this year. Further, 3 more lifters lifted more than 200 kgs, there.

The only consolation is there are 2 Thai and 2 Chinese lifters who lifted more than Mirabai's best lift. At Tokyo olympics, only 1 lifter will be allowed per nation and therefore with 1 Chinese and 1 Thai out, Mirabai can still get a bronze if everyone performs their best there. A North Korean who won a gold at Asian games with 199 kgs. failed in her snatch attempt at world championships. So, she will be also in the mix for medals at Tokyo.

There is an overall restriction on country quotas too at olympics and therefore, the Chinese did not field a lifter in this weight category at Rio. If that happens, Mirabai's chances go up. But, she will need to improve a whole lot if she has to aim for gold and will perhaps still need to maitain/slightly improve her performance for a bronze too.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

One small thing, when mirabai competed last year the category was 48KG and this time it is 49 KG.I think higher weights would be expected. BTW the Thai girl who won silver last time in the same category went for the 46KG category this time.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

Everything will eventually depend on the 'palak' that is available to India weightlifters at camps at home. This may apply to Thais and Chinese also.
By the way, NADA was very slack prior to CWG and AG this time, it would seem. They did not test Satish Sivalingam before CWG and tested him only once in July, prior to AG.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

But in case of meerabai, it seems she was checked multiple time during and after the WC in 2017.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

SaniaFan wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:34 am But in case of meerabai, it seems she was checked multiple time during and after the WC in 2017.
There is no clarity about how many times Mirabai was tested this year, by Indian NADA and/or by the IWF.
I have seen this report in TOI last year about she being tested "back to back" etc.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spo ... 046658.cms
There seems to be nothing here to suggest there had been a special scrutiny though the first test at home by NADA after her WC win might have been at the request of IWF.
The report says she was tested once out-of-competition by NADA on return from the US and the very next day she was tested again, but in-competition. An in-competition test has nothing to do with when she was tested last out-of-competition. It so happened she was indeed tested just a day earlier. In-competition testing menu is vastly different from out-of-competition.
She having been tested once before Worlds by IWF and once when she won the title is routine.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Meerabai Chanu won a gold in her first event after returning from injury-

Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu Wins Gold At EGAT Cup, First After Injury

Total of 192 kgs is a bit underwhelming, as she had lifted her best of 196 kgs at CWG but this was just her first tournament after the injury. Looking at the last world championships in November, 192 would placed Mirabai at 5th place and good news if one can say that is 2 Thais who won gold and placed 4th have both tested positive for banned substances. Also, there would be only 1 Chinese at olympics against 2 who got silver and bronze at world championships.

So, in effect Mirabai would get silver at world level even in with this performance. Hopefully, she stays fit and spinach free till Tokyo and there appears very good chance of a medal here. :D