Indian Basketball Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

nnipp

Re: Indian Basketball Thread ...

Post by nnipp »

204 cm Palpreet Singh Brar seems to be a real find...He's 3rd in the entire tournament in scoring (one of the guys ahead of him played a lot fewer games) and the other guy ahead is the 215 cm Chinese Center who has been the best player in the tourney...Brar is also 7th in the tournament in Rebounds and 1st in the tourney in blocks. All this and he has played against tough teams like China/Japan/Korea...If we can have a future starting frontline of Singh Bhamara and Palpreet Singh Brar to go along with Rakesh Singh and Jagdeep Singh off the bench that is one of the top 3 frontcourts in Asia....if only our other positions were good...
trojan
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by trojan »

U18 FIBA ABC: Syria bt. India 86-76.

another credible performance by Palpreet Singh Brar. he scored 27 pts
trojan

Post by trojan »

4TH FIBA ASIA CUP

India vs Iran 71-83

India vs Qatar 63-84
vidhyashankar
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by vidhyashankar »

4TH FIBA ASIA CUP, TOKYO :

India l Chinese Taipei 88-113

Final group game against Japan today. India are virtually out of the competition as only the top 4 sides from the 5 team group make it to the next stage.

Some encouraging words : India suffers 3rd straight loss in Asia Cup basketball
The Indians, who had lost to Iran and Qatar, showed a lot of enthusiasm and energy in their Group B match but the lack of experience proved their undoing as they were outplayed by a stronger opponent.
“We played our hearts out and worked hard. Somewhere down the line, we are lacking the game-experience to convert the energy into victory,” said 21-year-old Bhriguvanshi.
Coach JP Singh was, however, happy with the performance of his boys despite failing to win any match.

“I think we have done exceedingly well against all expectations. We are taking a lot of positives back although the results might show otherwise,” he said.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I find it hard to get psyched up about a close loss to Qatar and Chinese Taipei in a sport where they are no where near world standards.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

The coach's comments belong to "news of the weird" section of my newspaper. These results are shameful. Losing to countries such as Syria etc. that probably have no sports system at all and are struck in political mess is a national disaster. Why do we even bother sending teams to such events is beyond my understanding.
vidhyashankar

Post by vidhyashankar »

My knowledge in these sports is poor. I thought us being in the Asia Cup is a big deal. That is why posted the scores here.

We lost the final group game against tournament favourites Japan. We seem to have played better as we lost the match by a close margin.

4TH FIBA ASIA CUP, TOKYO :

India l Japan 72-90
suresh

Post by suresh »

We used to get thrashed by huge margins and so there is indeed some improvement in our basketball performances -- of course, we are quite far from being competitive.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

arjun2761 wrote:I find it hard to get psyched up about a close loss to Qatar and Chinese Taipei in a sport where they are no where near world standards.
Arjun,
India vs Qatar 63-84 -- We lost by 20+ points. Not really that close :) But I agree that there is nothing to get psyched up about!
trojan

Post by trojan »

gbelday wrote:
arjun2761 wrote:I find it hard to get psyched up about a close loss to Qatar and Chinese Taipei in a sport where they are no where near world standards.
Arjun,
India vs Qatar 63-84 -- We lost by 20+ points. Not really that close :) But I agree that there is nothing to get psyched up about!
we used to lose by 50+ points against qatar, so there is improvement :D this team had some youngsters from U18 team that recently played u18 asia cup and some of the seniors were rested
trojan

Post by trojan »

Women's U18 Asia cup

India bt singapore 93-54

India bt kazakastan 82-65

India bt hong kong 76-67 (Poonam chaturvedi 6'8 :eek: scored 32 with 17 rebounds rebounds )
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

South Asian qualifiers for the 3rd FIBA Asia U-16 for boys is underway at Dhaka. India, Nepal, Bangaldesh and Maldives are four participating countries in the qualifiers.

India bt Maldives 95-50 yesterday

We will play Nepal today (4th July) and Bangaldesh tomorrow (5th July)
trojan

Post by trojan »

India defeated Nepal 92-22 today.

There is no 7 footer like Satnam Singh this time in the team , so it will be interesting to see how India fare up . Last time they were able to create a few upsets and lost a close match to a strong team Korea. Satnam Singh was the top scorer of the tournament.
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

2013 FIBA Asia Championship get underway in Manila from Aug 1st to 11th.THis tournament is qualifier for World championship and olympics from Asia.
India(58) placed in Group D with Kazakhstan (47), Thailand (85)&Bahrain (75). Going by ranking, we have good chance to move to second round and finish top 10.
First match with Bahrian on 1st AUg.
trojan

Post by trojan »

India lost to Bahrain 80-82. Scores were tied at the end of regulation time 70-70. India was leading for most pat of the match.

India to play Thailand on Aug 2nd