Athens Olympics 2004

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

How many gold medals will India win in Athens?

Poll runs till Sun Feb 28, 2038 9:46 pm

None
50%
21%
21%
7%
No votes
5 or more
No votes

Total votes: 14

kathiresan_v
Please enter the middle number: 1

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by kathiresan_v »

Samsung India sponsers athletic ahead of olympics.

http://www.hindu.com/2003/09/24/stories ... 911700.htm

Howz India's preparations for olympics going on. Any real medal hopes this time atleast?????????????????/ :notworthy:

Kathir
suresh

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by suresh »

India's chances for medals in athletics is slim with Anju George the only one I can
think of in with a real chance for a medal. Other than that, there is a possibility
in tennis (Lee and Hesh in doubles), weightlifting (Karnam Malleshwari) and
shooting where a couple have qualified. In hockey, India is yet to qualify for the
Olympics!
kathiresan_v

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by kathiresan_v »

suresh wrote:In hockey, India is yet to qualify for the Olympics!
I think asian champions (asiad) will get a direct entry to olympics, otherwise, what is the qualification norm (or) procedure???

Kathir
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by BSharma »

12 teams will qualify for the men's hockey 2004 Olympics. The teams will qualify from the following tournaments:

Asian Games
Pan-American Games
European Nations Cup
All African Games
Oceania Cup
Olympic Hockey Qualifier tournament in Spain in 2004. The top 4 or 5 teams will qualify from this tournament and is the last chance for any team to qualify.

http://www.fihockey.org/vsite/vfile/pag ... ile,00.pdf

Indian hockey team has not qualified for the 2004 Olympics so far.
kathiresan_v

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by kathiresan_v »

Thanks Bsharma.....

hey, hey...........it's astonish 1 crores

'The Hindu' today reported that a prize money of rupees 1 crore , 50 lakhs and 21 lakhs will be issued for olympic winners of gold, silver and bronze respectively, announced by union labour minister Sabir Singh Verma.

Kathir
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by BSharma »

Yeah Kathir, it is now a game of "Kaun banega crorepati?" (Who will become a Crorepati?) :D

I wonder if the hockey team wins the gold medal do the players share one crore rupees (approx $220,000) or everyone gets one crore? Similarly if Leander and Mahesh win the doubles will they split the one crore or each gets one crore?
kathiresan_v

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by kathiresan_v »

BSharma...exactly the same question I have!!!!...someone to clarify (or) we wait for detailed report.

Kathir
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by Kumar »

Is there a dark horse that we could expect to come out of no where and win a medal?

How about Gopichand in Badminton. I know he is not doing great right now losing in 1st or second round..

I hope india sends only the medal prospects this team. I have no problem with sending sportsperson for exposure, but for every sports person that goes, we have 3 officials going. I guess over the years,it has been ridiculous to see the parade where there are more officials on indian marching team than the actual participants.

I am going to go out on my limb and predict that Indian hockey team will get the medal in olympics this year ...

I have one trivial question related to our olympic (mis)adventures . Has gbindia ever won two medals in the same olympics?
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by BSharma »

Has India ever won two medals in the same olympics?
Yes. 1952 Olympics (Gold and Bronze)

We send athletes to the Olympics for two reasons:
- some are deserving of participating in the Olympics
- some are sent so the officials with connections can accompany the team.

I do not see a dark horse right now but one year back who would have thought that India has a good chance of winning a medal in women's long jump.
kathiresan_v

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by kathiresan_v »

Do anyone here consider boxing as a sport...sorry i don't!

However, in the International boxing championship held at Goa India emerged as champions...have any chance of doing good (medal finish) in olympics.. am I crazy, heehee :D

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/oct06/sp11.asp

Kathir
kathiresan_v

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by kathiresan_v »

This year India finished runner up to razil in Volleyball world championship. I am sure volleyball must be a olympic gae...and i don't find any reason why India is not a serious medal contender in this game?

Kathir
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by BSharma »

Kathir,

The Indian junior volleyball team finished second to Brazil this year in the world championship. India had defeated Brazil in the league match but lost when it really counted. Our senior team has become better over the years but failed to qualify for the Olympic qualifying tournament. India finished fourth and Japan finished fifth but since Japan is the host nation for the Olympic qualifying tournament Japan got the nod over India. Only four teams from Asia qualified for the qualifying tournament.

The future of Indian volleyball looks bright. It appears that we have a good set of juniors and perhaps by the 2008 Olympics India will be in the hunt for a medal.

Indian volleyball team will not be at the 2004 Olympics. :(
kathiresan_v

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by kathiresan_v »

BSharma wrote: Indian volleyball team will not be at the 2004 Olympics. :(
:( :( :(

p/s: erroneously my post above appears twice, how to delete one?

Kathir
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by Dhruv »

There should be a Image button right next to the Image button on the top right hand corner of all your posts and you should be able to delete them... I think.
Anyway, I have deleted your duplicate post. :)
PKBasu

Athens Olympics 2004

Post by PKBasu »

I think Athens will be the coming-out-party for Indian sport. We should win a medal in hockey (probably silver, although I pray it will be the gold), the gold in tennis men's doubles, one or two medals in women's weightlifting, one or two in men's boxing, one each in men's and women's shooting and a gold in the women's long jump. And possibly something in yachting and badminton.
That we can credibly talk of so many contenders is itself a huge change for the past. In each of the events I have listed above, Indians are ranked among the top 6-8 now, which is a wonderful sign of progress.