Kabaddi Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

kabaddi
Please enter the middle number: 1

kabaddi

Post by kabaddi »

PKBasu wrote: It should at least be a demonstration sport in 2008 and preferably a full-participation event no later than 2012.
Kabaddi as a showcase sport is all set to make its debut in the World Masters Games. At the next World Masters Games (July 2005) to be held at Edmonton in Alberta province of Canada, kabaddi for men will be an added attraction
Kabaddi is expected to be included as a demonstration sport at the New Delhi Commonwealth Games as well as the 2007 World Military Games.
kabaddi

kabaddi

Post by kabaddi »

an article about Cricket and the olympics
it briefly mentions Kabaddi
Khaleej Times Online
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

kabaddi

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, but we need it as a demo sport in Olympics next time... Can we get that done?

Jay
BSharma
Authors
Authors

kabaddi

Post by BSharma »

Not until India holds the OLympics in 2020 at the earliest.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

kabaddi

Post by jayakris »

I thought so .. But I think we can still do a lot of leg work to get the word spread about this game. It really is truly unique in the world.

First everybody needs to be told why it is called kabaddi and why that kind of a word is used in this sport!

Next, it needs to be made colorful and "modern-looking"... Shoes, some interesting looking tight clothing rather than people wearing shorts that looks like they just ran out from an RSS shakha training .. Stuff like that.

Jay
PKBasu

kabaddi

Post by PKBasu »

I don't see why we need to wait until India hosts the Olympics before having Kabaddi as a demonstration sport. It is certainly much more of a sport than Beach Volleyball, Synchronised swimming, etc., and is a fairly competitive sport at the Asian Games (with Japan and Korea from outside the subcontinent participating, for instance). Taekwondo, Judo, Karate, etc. started off as very country- or region-specific sports but have become international over time. There is no reason why Kabaddi should not evolve in the same manner. I think we need to push for Kabaddi to be a demonstration sport in Beijing 2008...Let Pakistan, India and Bangladesh get together to persuade the Chinese to jump on this bandwagon.
kabaddi

National Kabaddi

Post by kabaddi »

jayakris wrote:...Next, it needs to be made colorful and "modern-looking"... Shoes, some interesting looking tight clothing rather than people wearing shorts that looks like they just ran out from an RSS shakha training .. .
lol i dunno why but i imagined a crazy looking picture when reading this post
anyway, see this link for some Asian/National kabaddi posts
S.T. Arasu may be the person to contact to make your kabaddi dreams come true.
PKBasu

kabaddi

Post by PKBasu »

That site looks identical to ours -- presumably because it has the same host (phpBB).
kabaddi

kabaddi

Post by kabaddi »

yup i know about a dozen sites with the same layout
personally i prefer the invision php board format
the active topics link makes it much easier to keep track of the latest posts
anyway the good thing is you shouldn't have any problems when posting or anything because you allready know how the discussion forums work
and you dont have to register to post there either :dance:
kabaddi

High school and college competition

Post by kabaddi »

Vinayaka Chaturti competitions
1 September 2004
The Hindu

The Saravajanika Sri Ganeshotsava Samiti, Nehru Maidan, here in association with the Dakshina Kannada District Amateur Kabaddi Association, has organised a two-day Dakshina Kannada and Udupi district-level kabadi competition in connection with Vinayaka Chaturthi festivities on Nehru Maidan from September 21, according to a press release from B. Kamalaksha, corporator and samiti general secretary.

While competition for high school students would be held on September 21, competitions for college students would be held the next day.

Teams, which wanted to participate in the event, should report at the venue on the respective dates at 9 a.m. along with a letter from the heads of their institutions. Details can be had from Kamalaksha (ph: 3342785).
kathiresan_v

kabaddi

Post by kathiresan_v »

South Korean kabaddi team will arrive in Mumbai on November 13 and will play a few practice matches before taking part in the first ever World Cup kabaddi tournament (National Style) to be held here from November 19-21.

Meanwhile, Dronacharya awardee E Prasad Rao will be leaving for the West Indies on October 15 to coach the West Indies team which has also confirmed its participation in the World Cup.

Hidustan Times article, Korean team to play practice matches, Rao to coach West Indies

Kathir
david

kabaddi

Post by david »

Recently, the Junior Nationals were held on the outskirts of Bangalore and Karnataka Girls won the title. Delhi won the boys' title.

There was a huge crowd. Jampacked. Nearly 25000. All seated on the wooden planks of the make-shift gallery.

Fans had a field day. Flags, drums, dances, fireworks,.....it was mind boggling. I never saw such enthusiasm or fan participation anywhere (of course I am not talking about one-day cricket). Ranji matches and Duleep matches' crowd was peanuts.

It was electric and a memory to cherish. I wish they were more professional like putting a scoreboard for the audience to know at what stage is the match. and things like that.
kabaddi

kabaddi

Post by kabaddi »

david wrote:...It was electric and a memory to cherish. I wish they were more professional like putting a scoreboard for the audience to know at what stage is the match. and things like that.
yeah kabaddi is one exciting sport to watch it's definetly a spectator sport
and your right in respect to organization they definetly can improve and make it more proffesional and adding scoreboard would be one way to do that
i'm sure they must have had scoreboards in the asian games kabaddi matches right? what about timers
david

kabaddi

Post by david »

Yes, all technical matters were followed. Timers were there and table strength third ref, all are there.

Only crowd did not know what's happening.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

kabaddi

Post by BSharma »

It is heartening to know that an "Indian" sport is still flourishing in India and is making in-roads into other countries. To have 25,000 fans at a junior kabaddi tournament shows the popularity of the sport in India.

Thanks David for sharing this news with us - something that probably will go unreported in Indian newspapers with all the hoopla surrounding the Indo-Australian cricket series.