Indian Volleyball

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Volleyball

Post by sameerph »

Yes, they are correct. Please refer to this forum which has full results -

Total Olympics forum
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

Sorry about the false alarm. Initially Wikipedia said Iran vs J2. India being second in Pool j, i thought we are against Iran. China also very tough team and we recently lost to them in 3 - 0 for World Championship qualifiers
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

The world championship qualifiers was the more important tournament, where a win against China would have secured us a berth in the World Championships. But we lost rather tamely there.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

[QF] India 1-3 China

India lost 1-3 to China.......
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

I saw the match. India flattered to deceive. In an inspirational show, they won the first set but then fizzled away.

Technically, the biggest gap seemed to be in blocking. There was left much to be desired in the effectiveness of our blocking. in contrast, the Chinese were very co-ordinated in blocking and this really helped them in the 'swing' points that made all the difference. Btw, our spiking was very good if not better; noteworthy being Gurinder (as he always is) and Prabagaran. The other issue at a higher level was the lack of killer instinct on the crunch points. It almost looked like they knew they were destined to lose at the end of the day! :roll:

Overall, the Chinese have come in as one of the favourites and India gave them a decent run for their money. Just a bit better in a few departments and we could be there as well - atleast among the best in Asia.
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

India against Australia again for 5 -8 position today. Looks like Australia didn't field their best team. They Lost in QF against S.Korea
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

and we lost this time...

India l Aus 20-25, 18-25, 25-21, 12-25

We play Lebanon today for the 7th place playoffs...Pathetic stuff...our U21 team recently finished 8th at the world level and here seniors are struggling at the Asian level itself...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

u21 have finished better in the world. As high as #4. So has u19 also. As high as #2 or #3. A few times in the top16 and top8 in the world at those levels over the last 10-12 years, but the seniors have always been in the 6th through 10th range in Asia (generally 30 through 45 in the world). If we finish #7, that's pretty much par for the course. If we lose to Lebanon, I will be pissed. Otherwise, I am OK. I don't expect the senior team to get much better, because they haven't for a dozen years when we have had good junior players feeding the team. I now doubt if we will ever get much better at the senior level, unless we get a foreign coach or something. Jay
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

In Asian Men Cup, Indian Men will be playing against Iran in Semi Final(not again). India lost to Iran in SF of last Asian Cup and finished 4th.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

These are India's results in this tournament.

Men's Volleyball AVC Asian Cup 2014, Almaty, Kazakhstan

Praliminary round

India d. Kazakhstan 3-0 ( 25-19, 25-17, 25-23)

India d. Japan 3-0 ( 25-23, 27-25, 25-11)

India l. South Korea 1-3 ( 25-22, 22-25, 21-25, 22-25)

So, India finished second in their group while reaching the QF.

[QF] India d. Thailand 3-0 ( 25-19, 25-23, 26-24)

From another forum comments, it appears that Iran and Japan are playing with their second teams here while others are playing their best teams.

Encouraging performace so far from Asian games perspective, we now meet our nemesis Iran in the SF. South Korea will meet Kazakhstan in the other SF.
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

Suprise! For a change India beat Iran(20–25, 29–27, 31–29, 27–25). Every set is very close,even though they field second class team. I think Australia and China also placed second team, becos they are fighting for 5 & 8th places
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Win against Iran in Volleyball is always sweet whichever team they are playing. :D We play South Korea in the final. Korea beat Kazakhstan 3-0 in the other SF. Korea is playing their best team, it seems.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Losing to South Korea is bad news though. We always lose to Iran and China, so the best we could hope for was a bronze in Asian Games. If Korea is also better, than a bronze seems out of reach.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

India lost to Korea in the final too.

Men's Volleyball AVC Asian Cup 2014, Almaty, Kazakhstan

India l. South Korea 0-3 ( 23-25, 21-25, 25-27)
indiansportsfan wrote:Losing to South Korea is bad news though. We always lose to Iran and China, so the best we could hope for was a bronze in Asian Games. If Korea is also better, than a bronze seems out of reach.
If you look at current world rankings, Korea is ranked 19 and we are ranked only 37. Among Asians, Iran is at 11 followed by Japan at 16 and Korea and China jointly at 19. We are joint fifth with Thailand. Going by the performances here, we seem a bit underranked but still top 4 ( Iran, Japan, Korea and China) look some way ahead. We need to beat 2 of these 4 to win a medal in Asian games which looks difficult.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I used to say, "death, taxes and Indian volleyball losing to Iran" as the absolute certainties in life. I guess I should drop that line now. Anyway, congrats go to India for the best Asian finish that I remember. Jay