Indian Volleyball

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Volleyball

Post by PKBasu »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:36 am
jayakris wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:14 am Where is this place Calicut? It is Kozhikode, people! :)
I have thought about this and don't have a clear answer. These are the two sides. On the one hand, should a language be able to name places differently? Or should we always try to be as close to the native pronunciation as possible?

Every language uses different terms to call places differently. We use "India" whereas it should be "Bharat". Should we ask people to call our country Bharatbarsha. Actually, in my side of the country, we call it Bharotborsho. But, maybe we accept the tyranny of the majority to avoid confusion. Or do we need the country/city/place to officially change the name before we ask people to use the new name, which is the old name?

Then, we should call Germany Doychlant (closest phonetic spelling). The Spanish should not call the U.S.A. Estados Unidos, etc.

Also, if a place changes its name, e.g., Calcutta became Kolkata, I am confused about what I should write when I have to write my place of birth. Should I use the old name to say when I was born it was called Calcutta in English assuming I am filling out the form in English? There is no confusion if the form is in Bangla. We always wrote Kolkata or maybe more formally Kolikata. What if I am filling out a form in German? Should I write it as Kalkutta? I think I have seen PKB use Calcutta even after the change was official although I do think he has no love lost with the British. If I am not mistaken. Of course, when talking in English. I doubt he uses that in Bangla.

What do people think? Is there a principled way to decide? :Offtopic:
Difficult one. I used to write Calcutta for several years after the change. My logic being that Kolkata was always the Bengali name, but Calcutta was the accepted English transliteration. Little is gained by making the change to the English version of the name. But once usage becomes established, it becomes a bit futile to keep using the old spelling (except in writing about the past: I always use Calcutta as my birthplace, and also whenever I write about the past, but otherwise have gradually switched to Kolkata). No point saying Peking now, because fewer people understand what that means, since Beijing is so prevalent. (It was also Peiping for awhile!).

With Calicut, the world knows the place as the one where Vasco da Gama made landfall -- and met the 'Zamorin' (who I always refer to as the Samoothiri Raja). A little bit of global brand equity is lost via the use of Kozhikode...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Agreed. Language changes and is defined by use. Ditto for place names. People started using the term "hallucination" with respect to chatbots, abstractive summarizers, etc. since last year. At first, I did not agree with my student that we should use it rather than use "incorrect fact" or some other non-anthropomorphic term. But, now the term has exploded and people use it commonly for facts that the chatbots just made up. In a sense, a chatbot makes up every word but made up without any factual basis or finding it in some website, etc. So, I reluctantly agreed to let my student use the word in our papers. The meaning of the term has changed when used on a technical context and does not really involve anything to do with our senses, chemical reactions in the brain, etc. Language, at the end, evolves.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:26 pm In a sense, a chatbot makes up every word but made up without any factual basis or finding it in some website, etc. So, I reluctantly agreed to let my student use the word in our papers.
Generative AI uses probabilistic models to associate data and hence find "facts." On many of the models, you can reduce the hallucinations by adjusting the temperature settings so that it reports out only the highest probability associations and thereby minimizes hallucinations.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

True. It uses generative models to predict what the next word will be.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Every time I think that the factionalism might have gone away from Indian Volleyball, we get news that it is totally alive and kicking still.

Now, an ad-hoc committee to run volleyball

I give up. Or maybe I won't, for the late Jimmy George's sake.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Asian Volleyball Championship 2023: Teams and pools

Pool A: Iran, Hong Kong, Iraq

Pool B: Japan, Uzbekistan, Thailand

Pool C: People’s Republic of China, Kazakhstan, Indonesia

Pool D: Chinese Taipei, Bahrain

Pool E: Afghanistan, Qatar, India

Pool F: Bangladesh, Pakistan, South Korea

India are in Pool E with Afghanistan and Qatar. Japan, the most decorated team in the tournament with nine titles, are in Pool B while reigning champions and hosts Iran are in Pool A.

https://olympics.com/en/news/asian-voll ... s-schedule
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

India lost to quatar in first match!!! Will play against Afghanistan on 21 August!!!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

We beat Afghanistan 3-1 (25-15, 25-23, 23-25, 25-19) but today lost to China in PQF- 29-31, 25-19, 18-25. 25-22 , 13-15 in the Asian championships.

That is pretty good fight against China or is China not that good in volleyball any more ?
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

I watched the match!!! What a close match it was!!!!That lost is going to hurt for a long time...so close yet so far :cry: :cry:
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

India men is ranked 69th in new ranking. To rub the salt, we are below srilanka, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.
Women team is 68th ranked
All due to fighting between groups for management control. Both the fighting groups should be removed and new professional must take over. Also high time to change coach
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Asian games related posts have been moved to Asian games thread. We had one of our big wins over Korea today.

It can be discussed here-

viewtopic.php?t=219677&start=135
srini

Post by srini »

Korean volleyball association is acting on dismal performances of its team at Asiad, so chances are they will come back strong next time.
Directly quoting from below link

“The KVA said it will start drawing up long-term plans to prepare for the 2028 and 2032 Olympics, and will also host a public hearing next month to gather the opinions of volleyball fans and experts on how to improve the national team programs”.
https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/articl ... Idx=360715

Hope India volleyball association also holds such public hearings to gather opinions of fans.
srini

Post by srini »

Just a heads up that the FIVB Volleyball Club World Championship 2023 that was discussed earlier in this thread is going to start today.
Ahmedabad Defenders becomes the first Indian volleyball club to take part in this tournament! more here...

https://olympics.com/en/news/volleyball ... -broadcast
srini

Post by srini »

Just for the record, Ahmedabad Defenders lost both pool matches in straight sets. Seems they were placed in the tougher pool A considering both the other teams from Pool A made it to finals and none from Pool B. They were fairly competitive with the Brazilian club 22–25 23–25 19–25 but fizzled out in the 3rd set 18–25 19–25 11–25 with the Italian club.