Indian Volleyball

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Volleyball

Post by jayakris »

SaniaFan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:53 am I think Pakistan would beat south Korea and will finish 7th. India would also have beaten Korea. So they are probably 1 place lower.
Agree. I think India will easily beat this particular south korea team too. It will be a 50-50 between us and Pakistan (or 45-55). Basically India is of the 7 through 9 (or 10) quality right now. But we have never been better than tied for 6th in the past 20 years or so. Iran, Japan, China, Korea, and Australia have always been better than us, and some one other team like Thailand, Qatar, Uzbek and Kazakh would be at our level. Right now, it looks like we haven't fallen too far, which is nice. I was seriously concerned when we dropped the first three matches in straight sets, but now it is pretty clear that they were three very good teams. We will see what we do against Bahrain today. Basically the seeding and pools helped Korea and Pakistan finish in the top 8 (actually Pakistan probably deserved it), and it pushed Bahrain and India out of the top half. I guess it happens. No huge damage. By the way, Pakistan has made a nice comeback from going down below Asian top-12 earlier though they were top-8 quality some 20 years ago, iirc.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

It took every bit of our effort, but we did finish #9 in the end. Great!

India d. Bahrain, 25-16 25-23 20-25 23-25 16-14 :)

So it is IRI, JPN, CHN, TPE, QAT, AUS, PAK, KOR, IND, BAH, KAZ, RSA, UZB, HKG, THA, KUW in order. And AVC sucks.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

In end, we really improved our performance and manged to end on the decent position.
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

This is the best our team could have done given the circumstances. It is great to see our team improve and avenge the loss to Bahrain.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Oh well, we were given the worst draw at the AVC Asian volleyball Cup (being held in Thailand) and are out after 2 days :( .... Lost to Japan on Sunday and to Australia on Monday.

India l. Japan, 15–25 15–25 15–25
India l. Australia 17-25 20-25 12-25

The pools were:

Thailand (Hosts), South Korea (8), Hong Kong (14)
Iran (1), Pakistan (7), Kazakhstan (11)
Japan (2), Australia (6), India (9)
China (3), Chinese Taipei (4), Bahrain (10)

5th seeds Qatar was scratched from China's pool which had 4 teams initially. Kazakhstan was scratched too, and so lucky Pakistan was into the final 8 already without even playing, as there were only 2 teams in their pool. India had to beat one of the two top-8 seeds, but our team seems to have a lot of new faces and must be quiet inexperienced (I hardly recognize the names). So this was over in a hurry.

We will fight for the lower placements later in the week. Bahrain upset Chinese Taipei and made the top-8 pools. India will need to beat Chinese Taipei and Hong Kong to finish 9th.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Are we ranked even lower than Pakistan currently ? We seem to have really regressed in volleyball where few years back we looked to be getting among top teams in Asia.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, we have been ranked behind Pakistan for the last 3 years or so. The protracted legal fight between the two factions in in the Volleyball Federation just killed our volleyball. We were banned for a small while and missed competitions. fell out of the ranks altogether. At least came back into the rankings a year ago after Asian Volleyball (results above). A whole generation of players got pushed behind and national level compeitions etc also got off-track. Then Covid hit. Essentially we were starting from scratch from last year. Was hoping for some signs of improvement this time, but the luck of the draw was also not with us.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

In classification matches, India d. Hong Kong, 23–25, 21–25, 31–29, 25–27

If we beat Taiwan tomorrow, we will finish #9. Pakistan lost badly in 3 games to China today. I expect Pakistan to finish just ahead of is at #8, though they made the QF pools with a lucky draw. Bahrain seems to be the upstarts this year. They beat Iran 3-1 today! Hosts Thailand also seem to be very good this year, as they beat S.Korea 3-2 earlier too. But they lost to Australia today (just like we did in our initial pool).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Now, this was a horrible loss, to finish the tournament at #10 out of 11 teams. India l Taiwan, 22–25 18–25 14–25. Now we can't blame the draw for our finish. We are only 10th best. Actually 11th, because I think Qatar, who didn't play this event is better than us now. Maybe even Kazakhstan is better now and we are out of Asian top-10. Horrible. It is sad that Qatar, Bahrain and Pakistan have gone ahead of India in Asian volleyball.

By the way, this is not the AVC Asian Champions, the actual continental championship, which actually counts more. That was last year and we finished 9th. But we showed no improvement, and some notable regression this time.

We were in the Asian top-5 about 7 years ago (and even finished #4 in Asian Championships back in early 2010s) and our Federation's factional politics and court cases destroyed our volleyball. I hope the posterior orifices who headed the factions are happy now.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Well, well, Pakistan came back from the brink of a 4 set loss, and crushed Australia in the 5th set in the playoff of for 5th-thru-8th spots... 21-25, 25-16, 17-25, 25-23, 15-6... At least somebody beat Australia by playing well at the end of a match (I should give kudos even to the bug country). Pakistan now plays Iran, to whom they had lost in the pools. Japan vs China for the top, Bahrain vs S.Korea for #3, Iran vs Pak for #5, Australia vs Thailand for #7... Then Taiwan, India, Hong Kong in the 9th thru 11th spot. Whoop dee doo, india is in the Asian top-10!! Stop press!! :mad:

So, forget Pakistan's luck in the initial pool and all that. They are good. Clearly well ahead of India at this point. Horrible, how the Federation politics has killed Indian volleyball.

And the political bullsh*t has still not ended. See this - "Key Indian spikers out". That is about our Volleyball federation asking Kerala not to field some of the best Indian players, like Jerome Vineeth, GS Akhil, Shon T John etc in the state team for the National Games. Jerome is probably among the best VB player in India, if I am not mistaken?... I had not seen names like his in the Asia Cup team, and now it makes sense why.

The players' crime? They got draftd by PrimeVolley league, played volleyball and got paid. Now, that league has the franchises that were in the earlier pro league by VFI, but the teams and owners have gone independent - after winning a court battle against the Federation. (Details of the PrimeVolley versus VFI mess - Prime Volleyball gets backing of 5 original team owners, signs Sony as long-term broadcast partner)... But the players who got drafted late last year did not know that they would be targeted later by the Federation. It seems they were pushed out of the national team too? As though these guys' careers have not been messed with for the last 7-8 years already!

How can bastards in the Federation continue to destroy the sport like this??

[I have not closely followed everything or anything... If any of you know more details, and if I am wrong in these opinions, please post!]
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I was very happy when sometime back I saw that a volleyball league is starting on the lines of IPL and leagues if other sports. Thought it would improve the level of our players if foreign players too are participating. Maybe not yet.

I see a lot of volleyball being played locally in Mumbai too still. I am sure it will be in other states too. So, if we can get things in order, there may be enough talent available to be tapped.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

And there are very few articles that chronicles the conflict between federation and the sponsors. And I could not find a single opinion piece .

https://www.hindustantimes.com/sports/o ... 47299.html

The VFI is pathetic.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, Kumar. That has been a huge problem. Not a single sports writer in India cares for volleyball. The press has just not covered the mess, and VFI does nothing to get them involved either. In fact, they don't ever respond to the press queries (as we can see in the few articles that appear in the national press, once every 5 months or so) and nothing happens. The press gave up on Indian volleyball a long time ago, it seems. Basically the federation has just destroyed and killed Indian volleyball. This forums is the only place to know the history of some of what had gone on. Just crazy, and sad, to see one sport being decimated like this in India.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I know the Keralite in you cares about volleyball Jay but it is a pretty irrelevant sport in the grand scheme of things to me as well.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I know, I know... but it is taken seriously and is liked by a lot of people in the world. It has been an Olympics and Asiad sport for a long long time too. After football, American football, cricket, baseball, and basketball, it is the most popular team sport out there. Actually, after football and basketball, it the next most popular universal team sport (played in every country in the world). We shouldn't have our federation politics kill it in the country, and the press should care more for it than it does for non-sport games like chess in their sports pages.