2022 Commonwealth Games

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2022 Commonwealth Games

Post by prasen9 »

We need to ask our athletes to peak once. So, anyone who is projected to be say a top-6 Asian Games placer should not be sent to the Commonwealth Games. Or just told to use it as practice. Anyone who has no chance at getting a medal at the Asian Games should be sent to the Commonwealth Games. In case, we are not sending our best, send our juniors. Use the Commonwealth Games to develop our sports bench. Essentially, be pragmatic.

In team sports, where we are a strong medal possibility, as in hockey, we should send our B-team.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I agree with Prasen. We can also provide incentives like if their performance in Asian games would have resulted in medal in Commonwealth, give them similar cash awards.

Absolutely it would be stupid to send athletes to both events. And then have athletes blame commonwealth for their lack of performance. Send our juniors to common wealth
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Something like that. I like the idea of sending a hockey B-team. That would be a snub to them. Then, we would check out how our B-teamers do against hopefully the top players across the world. That way we will generate depth and take the best performers into the A-team while chucking out the deadwood from the A-team. People should think strategically.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Not a bad idea at all, to send our second teamers (except for a few select medalist types, if that would help them in the preparation for Asiad). That way we make use of the thieves' fraternity and can thumb our noses at them too. Not a bad idea, Prasen!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If we send people who are good like Neeraj, tell them to treat it as practice. And, to say it loudly. :devil: "Well, the Commonwealth Games don't really matter. Who cares about medals here? I came here to practice and got some good competition and practice. I am shaping up well for the Asian Games. So, I am happy with my performance." Thumb their noses every time loudly. Stupid racist people.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

I think this is eaxctly what AFI has been planning: Send only those with some chances to CWG and if athletes like Neeraj Chopra are entered they could be told to go slow and keep their best for Asian Games.
https://sportstar.thehindu.com/athletic ... 441637.ece
Considering that India does not figure high in athletics in CWG, one doubts whether Birmingham OC would be really bothered about the quality of Indian entries in athletics except for that of Neeraj Chopra. Being an Olympic champion his rating would always be high.
srini

Post by srini »

Seems entire Sports India forum members are all in agreement that piddly games can be snubbed and it was really heartening to see members coming up with suggestions on different ways our athletes can thumb their noses at the piddly games. Yea..Neeraj can go and say things like "My coach asked me to go slow and use my left hand for throws at these games which is supposed to improve my over all blocking technique for the upcoming Asian games where the real test lies ahead!!" etc etc. :rofl:

Can i take this moment of rare agreement in forum members to make the most optimistic prediction ever that if we sincerely pick only our junior teams for piddly games and send serious medal hopes to Asian, we can be standing top in athletics medals tally at Asian games in 2022?
We stood at 3 in Athletics for the last Asiad of 2018. China, Bahrain, India and Japan stood in the 1st four positions with 12,10,8,6 Gold respectively.
Infact we were on par with China in terms of Men's Gold at 5 but very much under par in Women's events. With Shaili singh in Long jump and Kamalpreet Kaur in Discus we should do better in Women's this time around. When can we have a thread to discuss 2022 Asian or do we already have one!
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

It would be beneficial for our track and field athletes to compete in the Commonwealth Games as a preparation for the Asian Games. That is in the normal course. These days it looks it may be beneficial to train at a foreign base for three or four months, compete sparingly in the run-up to any games and come out all guns blazing at the most appropriate time! In 2018 it worked!
As for medal chances in 2022, one will have to see how Kamalpreet shapes up next season. Shaili Singh could be among the medals but may find it tough to be in gold medal contention.
Among other women, Harmilan Bains (1500), Dutee Chand (100/200) and Hima Das (200) look promising. The 4x400 team's chances will depend solely on how well the newl-emerging crop fares in the next season. At the just-concluded National 400m,Rupal Chaudhary, only 16, came out of nowhere to clock 53.73s. This, apart from Priya Mohan (fourth at World juniors in 52.77), Summy (53.57) etc from the junior batch.
The problem is AFI inists on camp participation for selection to relay teams. Not sure whether these girls would join. Priya Mohan has already said she won't!
The top five Chinese women are sub-53 for the season. That could be a worry for India's think-tank.
Prior to Olympics, we couldn't even find two capable women to form the mixed relay team, forgetting the failure to qualify for the women's 4x400.
Among men, gold medal contenders in Asian Games could be Avinash Sable (3000m steeplechase), Tajinder Pal Toor (shot put), Neeraj Chopra (javelin) and 4x400m. Long jumper Sreeshankar might have an outside chance.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

India has confirmed for hockey participation in Birmingham. Obviously, the Govt has had its final say.
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... tF.twitter
suresh

Post by suresh »

An interesting article by Manisha Malhotra in the bridge.in
Just like Rome wasn't a product of overnight toil, neither were its gladiators who dared out for every fight-till-death encounter a one-day miracle. Behind the success of any form - be it, individual or team, lies a larger framework that pulls the strings in constructing the perfectly successful 'elite' athlete. The fabric of Indian sports is strange and helplessly enough is inflicted with the cultural attitude that is otherwise prevalent in the Indian society - the one where we are quick and easy to forge familial relations even in professional relationships - that in more cases than not, blur the lines between ordinary success and true excellence
Indian athletes still prefer coaches they like, not those they need