Commonwealth Games, 2022

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: Commonwealth Games, 2022

Post by Atithee »

srini wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:40 pm Right...let's move all these games (add wrestling too) to "World Military Games" and be done with it...never mind if the nation of 1 billion loses the only few medals it gets in these games in the summer Olympics. :p
That would be fine by me. But, not for everyone. I don’t have as strong views about any other “sport” as I do about boxing.
Orang
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Orang »

Atithee wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:04 pm If it’s available, please tabulate how many are Army employees or working at other government enterprises.
Great observation, though I did not find that info in the main link:

https://thebridge.in/commonwealth-games ... yana-34371
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

sameerph wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:16 pm [
Lakshya will be turning 21 in one weeks time and he is by far the youngest in top 10 rankings. In fact the next youngest player in top 10 Malaysian Lee Zee Jia is more than 3 years older than Lakshya. There is only 1 player who is below 24 year of age in top 25 apart from Laskhya is his junior rival Kunlavut from Thailand. So, Lakshya is clearly a special talent rising so high at this age.

If the olympics are held today, I think Lakshya will only be an outside contender for medal. However, I hope we see further improvement in his game in next 2 years he will become one of the medal favorites at Paris, also some of those ranked above him will be 2 years older. For example, current olympic champion Dane Axelsen who is dominating the circuit this year too will have turned 30, an age where generally peak of most of the badminton player goes down. So, high hope from Laskshya for 2024.
Age progression wise, Lakshya is definitely a top 3 contender. However, I am not sure that age progression alone will get him there. In the games that I have seen, he's been a defensive monster with limited offensive weapons (he is badminton's version of Somdev rather than Yuki). His reflexes and quickness and hence his defensive abilities may actually decline as he gets older. Can he add to his offensive weapons to make up for it as he ages into his peak? That will determine his ceiling. He seems like he is focused and hard working, so would bet that he does but he and his coach will need to put in the work for it to happen...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Offence too goes down with reflexes slowing but I suppose if your offense is relatively weaker, then there is more chance of technical and training-based improvements to cover the slowing reflexes.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I am still looking for opinions on the other youngster we had at the Commonwealth games. 20 year old Sagar Ahlawat who got silver in super heavy weight boxing and looked quite okay (I think) even in the final he lost against the Brit. Is he expected to become better and be a contender on the Asian or World stage?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:06 pm That would be fine by me. But, not for everyone. I don’t have as strong views about any other “sport” as I do about boxing.
Should sports have some entertainment value? In the sense that I play tennis or soccer for fun. I think very few people go and do boxing for fun or wrestling. Most do it to train for a competition. Slightly different. There are exceptions, of course. In Haryana, they do wrestling competitions locally for fun. But, by and large. I suppose we could find corners where boxing is done for fun. Note I am calling fun for oneself as opposed to entertainement or show for the audience. As in spectator sport. In that sense, fencing is done more for fun.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Prasen, boxing especially heavyweight professional boxing was the biggest entertainment event the world over- are you forgetting the likes of Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Mike Tyson and Rocky Marciano. The entire movie franchise Rocky was inspired by Rocky Marciano. And I guess Ali needs no introduction.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

In the meatime Bhavani Devi has won a gold in the Commonwealth Fencing Chamionship that was not part of Commonwealth Games.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 470689.cms

Makes me wonder why India can't organize a separate Commonwealth Games with sports like shooting, archery, kabaddi, kho kho etc where India can win medals. The way BCCI took over ICC from the MCC, we should take over the Commonwealth Games Federation. I am sure all the countries that the Brits looted will support us.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

rajitghosh wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:35 am Prasen, boxing especially heavyweight professional boxing was the biggest entertainment event the world over- are you forgetting the likes of Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Mike Tyson and Rocky Marciano. The entire movie franchise Rocky was inspired by Rocky Marciano. And I guess Ali needs no introduction.
As I said, and I should have written it clearly, I am not interested in something being an entertainment olympics, as in a spectator sport olympics. I was saying one angle of sport is fun for oneself. If it is others' entertainment, then we can just get the ratings of TV and let them decide. How many of you box for fun? I know of some clubs here that are muai thai boxing that people go to for fun. I thought of joining but then I got my head back ;-)
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

FWIW, boxing and wrestling are sports by most definitions. Average Joe's doing something for fun is recreation. Interestingly, sports like badminton and TT are considered to be recreational activities in the US, so the definition does vary from country to country and person to person. Of course, in the US, there is competitive recreational activities like major league fishing and hot dog eating etc. but at least I don't particularly enjoy watching those.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, nobody is saying that they are not sports by the current definition. I was trying to come up with some sports that people do for fun and some sports are more spectator sports. And, I'd rather see a competition or Olympics for the former. For a game to be in the Olympics, it needs to be played across many countries across the world. Hotdog eating contests are sort of on the entertainment side. It happens in fairs, etc. where people are there to watch. I am more interested in what I will term core sports that people do for recreation, fitness reasons, and fun even without spectators.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

We should move these posts to some other thread rather than being in the commonwealth games thread.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, I vote for more work for Jay, and Sameer, Jaydeep, etc. Always. Do we still have the thread where we used to discuss whether chess is a sport? Or are we all growing too old to argue?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Now, I’m searching the internet for the definition of sport. My first find, but probably it will never be resolved because everyone has their own measure.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighstein ... s-a-sport/

This is actually pretty good.
https://www.topendsports.com/sport/ques ... sports.htm
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

That's a pretty good definition in the last link.