Commonwealth Games, 2022

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Commonwealth Games, 2022

Post by jayakris »

But we won't get to 25 Golds that PKB predicted :( (Actually I don't know if he predicted that. Maybe we were just sure that he must have been thinking that :) )
srini

Post by srini »

Happy for Nadeem winning the Javelin gold..the medal remains with sub continent. Barring any effects of spinach which can be ruled out soon he seemed deserving the medal. The quality of track and the materials used in laying it out can affect the javelin results so it may just be that Nadeem’s technique suited the conditions for the given day
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Nadeem posted a twitter message just before the event asking for his nation’s blessings but claiming he has a knee and elbow injury. Given that, something doesn’t add up. Regardless, congrats.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

England girls got DQ-ed in the relay. So, at least in one case, the refs were being accurate. I suppose it is harder to cheat in athletics.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

So India is 5th with 18 golds. New Zealand has 19 golds. But we have 5 gold medal matches for today whereas they have only 1 in squash. So if we can can win 2 of them we'll move ahead of them even if they win the gold in theirs. :goodluck:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ That is good to know. I was wondering what medals NZL had left. We should get at least 2 on Monday... But let us see.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

So despite not having shooting, we are almost there as last time. Not bad. Hope to get another few good medals today.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

jayakris wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:17 am ^^^ That is good to know. I was wondering what medals NZL had left. We should get at least 2 on Monday... But let us see.
I see NZ in one of the diving finals as well. Not sure if they are gold contenders in that event but that is another possibility for them. So 3 golds for us would seal it for us but even one may be enough since we have more silvers than them.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Omkara wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:23 am So despite not having shooting, we are almost there as last time. Not bad. Hope to get another few good medals today.
We are guaranteed 60 medals and hopefully more than 19 golds to beat out non-shooting tally from last CWG.

However, not sure if the para medals were counted last time so we may have to adjust those for an apples to apples comparison. Overall, like the fact that the para medals are included in the main medal count - perhaps the Olympics should also do the same.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

After removing shooting from last games medal tally, it came down to 19 golds and 50 medals.

Looks like we are going to exceed both. But, need to also take into consideration point raised by Atithee yesterday. I do not think there were para medals last time included, need to check. Also there may be some events which are newly added like Womens cricket, I do not think anything else but need to check.

Will do sport wise comparision after everything is finished tonight which will give a fair comparision.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

arjun2761 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:29 am
jayakris wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:17 am ^^^ That is good to know. I was wondering what medals NZL had left. We should get at least 2 on Monday... But let us see.
I see NZ in one of the diving finals as well. Not sure if they are gold contenders in that event but that is another possibility for them. So 3 golds for us would seal it for us but even one may be enough since we have more silvers than them.
Diving is only England, Australia, Canada and Malaysia. They bag all the medals.
Even new Zealand media does not even talk about them.
Orang

Post by Orang »

My favorite moment of these Olympics is Avinash Sable. Followed by the other track and field medalists.

Mr. Sable would have overtaken the final of the three Kenyans if the race was 5 meters longer.

Note that Avinash also decided to enter the CWG 5000m race (shortly after his 3000m steeplechase), which was a bit crazy. He dropped out of the 5000m race at some point, but what a guy. He also served in Siachen in the army and comes from utter poverty.

The below video (part 1) from 2020 makes me admire this guy even more:

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.

He even trained with the Kenyans in high altitude Colorado recently, so they must respect him:

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Nice and easy for Sindhu. 21-15 21-13 win against Canada's 13th ranked Michelle Li to win her first CWG gold.

Gold #19 and medal # 56 for us.

And we sneaked ahead to 4th position ahead of NZ as of now.

4 more finals to go for us. Looks like only Squash womens doubles final for NZ.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Now let's hope Lakshya reaches his target.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Lakshya against Malaysian NG Tse Yong tied up at 1 game all, 19-21 21-9.

Yong seems to be playing way above his ranking level in these games. Deciding to game to decide gold medalist.