Commonwealth Games, 2022

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Commonwealth Games, 2022

Post by sameerph »

We are 2-1 up in team table tennis final. Sathian won both his matches ( singles and doubles with Harmeet Desai) but Sharath lost.

We need 1 more win out of next 2 matches. Harmeet Desai up next in singles.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

And Harmeet Desai wins easily. :clap: :clap:

Second gold for us today.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Vikas Thakur wins silver in weightlifting. Medal #12 for us.

Our women's hockey team lost 1-3 against England though. Did not watch the match but looks like we missed lots of penalty corners and chances.
Orang
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Orang »

I think we are doing better than before considering the removal of Shooting (which still has a small chance of coming back in 2026):

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/commonwe ... 693899.ece

We already set several CWG records in weightlifting. Swimmers seem to have improved a bit. And now the Gold in that new lawn bowls sport.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Good to see that we are doing as well as we did previously.

I focus more on competitions where the standards are world class (and are also Olympic events or other events which are more widely followed). In that regard, our weightlifting wins are great but they aren't world class performances. On the other hand, our shooting teams are generally world class even if they misfired in the last couple of Olympics. So, will be excited if Shooting is back as a CWG sport as it is one of the sports where we are world class.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Satwik-Chirag lose against Malaysia Tokyo bronze medalists 18-21, 15-21 in the first match. Now, hope we win the 2 singles without any hiccups.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Among those sports that are or have been at the commonwealth games, in which sports are a) [world-class] the athletes world-class, i.e., say there is a chance of a world record or say the medalists time/perform at par with say top-8 in the Olympics, teams and people who have a chance at the Olympics, and b) [competition:] which among those sports have at least athletes from 2-3 different countries who are that good.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Malaysia wins badminton Gold. No surprise there.
Have to laugh at the awful mistake in the women's weightlifting today. We'll have quite big list of potential medals or winning situations thrown away by silly mistakes or loss of composure.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Women predictably lost to England in hockey. We just can't beat them even if have played better than them. I honestly don't think we'll reach the semi finals because we have to beat Canada and the way we struggled against them in the recent world cup and our current inability to score means we are likely to mess this up. Canada have definitely improved in the past year or so. Perhaps, we need to change our coach because since Tokyo, our women have been pretty ordinary at Asian level, WC and now at the CWG.

Even if we manage to beat Canada, we will lose to Australia in the semi final.

After the horrible Q4 by the men yesterday, I can see a repeat of the last CWG. How many times have we seen our team inexplicably become hopeless after dominating 3/4 or more of a game. So many matches that we should have won by 2-3 goals end up in draws or defeats.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

ssp is being pessimistic again :D

The optimistic projections expected 2 gold medals today and we got 2 gold medals.

The only surprise was Srikanth's terrible loss against the much lower ranked Malaysian. I was also expecting one of MD or WD to go to 3 sets.

Looking at tomorrow, we have Tulika Maan in judo projected as a gold medalist. I have done no independent research here if this is realistic.

No other golds projected for tomorrow. Obviously Nikhat and Lovlina start their campaigns and both are projected to get golds.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I expected a much closer match against Malaysia. Poor loss for Srikanth and fact is Satwik's game has stagnated and may have even regressed. So, even after big improvement by Chirag in his game in last 2-3 years the pair is not able to take the next step towards top 5.

Now. we are 5 golds, 5 silver and 3 bronzes for total of 13 medals, still at 6th place.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:45 am
Looking at tomorrow, we have Tulika Maan in judo projected as a gold medalist. I have done no independent research here if this is realistic.
Tulika Mann has made it to the final beating a strong Kiwi players who had beaten her earlier it seems. Final later today.

Lovpreet Singh won another bronze in weightlifting.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

And our womens hockey team just scraped thru to the SF beating Canada 3-2.

Will play Australia in SF.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Pleased our women have made the semis. I had a bad feeling we'd mess this up. We were 2-0 up before allowing Canada to come back to 2-2.

Watching our men v a very poor Canadian team. 4-0 up at half time. We need to increase our GD to avoid Australia in the semi. Before that, we'll need to beat Wales (+ umpires of course).
ssp

Post by ssp »

8-0 after a good last 5 mins. Canada improved in the 2nd half but this is their weakest team in my memory. We need a more clinical performance v Wales to ensure top spot in the pool.