Tokyo Olympics 2020

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2020

Post by PKBasu »

This is what leadership really looks like, as acknowledged by another great leader (India's winning captain, World Cup 1983):

https://www.thestatesman.com/sports/dee ... zLoJocdtPU

I too was deeply moved by the beautiful way in which PM Modi interacted with the Olympians, particularly encouraging those who hadn't won medals, and displaying an incredible depth and breadth of knowledge about each athlete's personal story, and those of their families.
srini

Post by srini »

Modi is a 'Full time' politician who doesn't lose any chance to claim credit for any hint of success...mind you the whole plan of meeting athletes was devised not before Olympics(when there was a chance of returning empty handed) but when we already got some medals and both Men's and women's teams made to Semifinal and Men already secured bronze on 3rd August. There was no news of the planned meet with athletes before Aug 3rd. But to give credit where it's due, he did all the the things athletes asked using all his clout which probably ensured we didn't mess up in medals with real chances. Hopefully megalomaniac Modi who likes to leave a legacy of his own every where, will also do something about encouraging wholistic involvement in sports in the country something on this lines below as he seems to have grand plans to hold Olympics in 2036 in Ahmedabad in Motera sports complex which will be called Modi complex by then...It doesn't matter to him how things will be in 2036, he would at least try to ensure bidding is awarded for 2036 while he is at helm.
https://theprint.in/opinion/tops-or-bas ... cs/712965/
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

I think it is already called Narendra Modi sports complex.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Srini, I wonder if I am sensing a slight hint of a dislike of the PM above, maybe? :) ...
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Jay, Please don't try to put people on left and right, each one is at his perceived center. :p
BTW if from my post you think I like him, that is not right too. I don't hate him either. Right at the center :D .
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I agree with what you say - that everybody feels that they are at the center, SaniaFan... But I was only joking above... Srini was actually pretty openly indicating his feelings about Modi. Calling him a megalomaniac etc. I think Srini wasn't trying to mince words on what he didn't like about Modi, and I was only jokingly saying that he succeeded at that. Not criticizing or taking issue with him!

In fact I don't feel much different than him (or you too?) about Modi. He deserves some criticism on a lot of things. I think Modi has been asking for it all along, by not responding to a lot of things on which he is criticized. If Modiji doesn't respond and explain himself, that means the criticism or dislike becomes valid. Like naming the Ahmedabad stadium after him. I didn't like it at all. I would be totally fine with calling it after a past PM or a dead PM (or Sardar Patel), and I don't see why Modi couldn't stop the stadium being named after him. That took away my respect of Modi a bit. Similar feelings about the attacks on the press and social media (even when I agree that they deserved some of it), or Pegasus or Oxygen shortage or Afghanistan... There are many instances where it is possible that he doesn't deserve the immediate criticism and has his own reasons, but he basically says nothing (as though we don't even deserve a response) -- which only establishes the charges on him to be true!

Having said that, I would still vote for him, because I agree with a lot of what he stands for, and I distrust the politicians criticizing him a bit more than I distrust him! And I believe he is one who *can* get things done and is not afraid of touching "holy cow" issues that I wish past PMs had touched... And this is all :Offtopic:
Orang

Post by Orang »

srini wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:53 am Modi is a 'Full time' politician who doesn't lose any chance to claim credit for any hint of success...mind you the whole plan of meeting athletes was devised not before Olympics(when there was a chance of returning empty handed) but when we already got some medals and both Men's and women's teams made to Semifinal and Men already secured bronze on 3rd August. There was no news of the planned meet with athletes before Aug 3rd. But to give credit where it's due, he did all the the things athletes asked using all his clout which probably ensured we didn't mess up in medals with real chances.
I think he has been very into sports from Day 1. He met the Rio medalists last time too:

https://www.thequint.com/sports/pm-modi ... rmakar-rio

Yesterday, he encouraged the Paralympics team:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 953869.ece

I keep hearing about these "Khelo India" centers:
“The Prime Minister informed that for recognizing local talents, 360 Khelo India Centers have been established.
Soon this number will be increased to 1,000 centres. Equipment, grounds and other resources and infrastructure are being made available to the sportspersons. The Country is helping them with an open heart. The country provided necessary facilities and targets through ‘Target Olympic Podium Scheme’," he said.
srini

Post by srini »

:Offtopic:
I didn't realize i would spawn a political discussion on a sports forum with my inadvertent post not mincing words. So i apologize. But i guess both SaniaFan and Jay have nailed it down that everyone is at their peceived center and only put others as left or right based on the relative difference in their perceived centers :)

I am neither a hater nor a bhakt, it's just that i am not naive enough to be carried away by all his photo-ops into believing he is a sports fan all along.

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.

If you watch the full video of his photo ops, you can quickly realize his interactions with them are anything but spontaneous.Most of the time he asks his question to the athlete and doesnt seem to be paying attention to what athlete's response was and instead seems to be deliberating over his next interaction with another athlete. He and his team did seem to do enough research about who said what after being back from Tokyo and asked the right questions like how Neeraj started celebrating on 2nd attempt immediately after releasing javelin, and asking Vinesh why she was disappointed with herself etc. He almost pulled it off except fans like us can realize the pretense/hollowness behind it when we watch.

Having said that, like Jay i may also vote for him, as i tend to like some one does something good and claims all credit than the opposition who kept everything in status quo.He is the best we got, hard to expect anyone better with even countries like USA with well educated voters seemingly carried away by demagogues.We are not there just yet..and should actually be thankful for getting some one like Modi, decent enough to do the job.
srini

Post by srini »

Orang wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:56 am I think he has been very into sports from Day 1. He met the Rio medalists last time too:
Meeting only medalists and some elite shooters is what he did last time, but this is the 1st time he met all Olympians. If we know Modi enough, he always does one thing better than last time even if it's all pretense and keeps learning from his mistakes...a great trait for a politician.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I do not know how much he is into sports. He has a long career in public service. Are there anythings he directly do to improve sports? I think if someone comes to him saying that is a good idea and needs his help, he will do it, assuming it is a reasonable request and the money is there. But, I do not think he is into sports per se. As the PM of a country, you need to be into everything.

Also, I do not think it is a great idea to meet all the Olympians after the event. We need to celebrate our successes separately. Otherwise, we are sending the message that participation in the Olympics is the goal. That way we will have more drug cheat qualifiers, etc. Why not meet all of them before they go? Or even better, a year before they go to find out how the preparations are going, what they need, etc.? But after the event, we should have at least one meeting where only the medalists or maybe the top-8-ers are invited. We should send out the message that excellence matters and the country has high standards.

And, this I say, not as a anti-Modi person, which I am. But, this is based on my values and beliefs and not just reflexive anti-Modism. If you want to meet all Olympians, fine. But, have another Olympic Medal Celebration Day separately where you meet and celebrate the Neerajs of the world. And, this is for any PM in the future.
Orang

Post by Orang »

Sometimes it is hard to tell between the Modi ego/political astuteness versus actual sincere interest. My gut feeling is that when it comes to sports, it is clearly both.

Being a one-time serious rapid chess player (and Vishy Anand superfan), the first time I heard about Modi's interest in sports was in 2010 when he initiated the below world record event (satisfying both his ego and chess development):

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 608156.ece

Then of course he initiated the idea of a world record capacity cricket stadium (after demolition and reconstruction) in his home state.

Sometimes, these grandiose exhibitionist strategies are finally what make parents interested in sports over other more cliche careers.

Modi's recent Khelo India centers major expansion statement is great. These centers of excellence were also started under his tenure per wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khelo_India

The thing I liked most in his recent interactions was his encouragement of the non-medalist fencer (Devi) and congratulating her on making people aware of this new sport for India. He also encouraged other non-medalists such as Phogat, Kumari, Ashok and the women's hockey team. Both via Tweets and in person.

Probably the same deal when it comes to ISRO, bullet train etc. He wants rapid technological progress, but clearly also loves all the photo-ops and political opportunities. A few people I know became Modi fans after the ISRO guy cried on his shoulders. Indians are so emotion driven!

Anyway, that is all the politics from me. Can't become a fanatical supporter of someone just because he is terrific (my opinion) for Indian sports.

Also:
Not to forget, some serious credit for Mr. Mittal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittal_Champions_Trust
Last edited by Orang on Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

They are all politicians, after all. With the exception of SM Krishna, former CM in Karnataka who had a truly genuine interest in tennis, and current Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik who has genuine interest in hockey, I don't really remember many (non-sportsmen) Indian politicians who have been sincerely interested in sports. Himanta Sarma is the Badminton Association president, but I really don't know if he has a deep love for badminton - but at least he was quite involved in BAI's operation till 2 or 3 years ago when he became a bigger name in Assam and national politics. Quite a few Indian politicians must be cricket fans but that doesn't count - because it is more like religion than sports. Some politicians have helped sports after others convinced them of political mileage, like Jayalalitha helping the Chennai ATP.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Some became politicians from being sportsmen/women. Kirthi Bhagwat Jha Azad, Gautam Gambhir, Sachin Tendulkar, RS Rathore, Mohammed Azharuddin, Navjyot Singh Sidhu, Nafisa Ali, etc.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ Yes, they were the "sportsmen" politicians I mentioned above. I don't think any of them have helped sports much, after turning into politics. Maybe the exception could be Rathod, but that's because he was sports minister for a little while (by the way, I think he handled the Hohn criticism of SAI quite well in that period, preventing it from getting worse and affecting Neeraj's plans)
Orang

Post by Orang »

I though we were on page 174! Looks like some posts gone?