Tokyo Olympics 2020

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2020

Post by suresh »

^^ Some posts may have been moved to another thread by one of the moderators.
Mugundan
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Mugundan »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:03 pm I do not know how much he is into sports. He has a long career in public service. Are there anythings he directly do to improve sports? I think if someone comes to him saying that is a good idea and needs his help, he will do it, assuming it is a reasonable request and the money is there. But, I do not think he is into sports per se. As the PM of a country, you need to be into everything.

Also, I do not think it is a great idea to meet all the Olympians after the event. We need to celebrate our successes separately. Otherwise, we are sending the message that participation in the Olympics is the goal. That way we will have more drug cheat qualifiers, etc. Why not meet all of them before they go? Or even better, a year before they go to find out how the preparations are going, what they need, etc.? But after the event, we should have at least one meeting where only the medalists or maybe the top-8-ers are invited. We should send out the message that excellence matters and the country has high standards.

And, this I say, not as a anti-Modi person, which I am. But, this is based on my values and beliefs and not just reflexive anti-Modism. If you want to meet all Olympians, fine. But, have another Olympic Medal Celebration Day separately where you meet and celebrate the Neerajs of the world. And, this is for any PM in the future.
Couldn't agree more. Participation is being rewarded along with achivers and while the cash awards might come in handy for many a needy athlete, it does send out the wrong message that one has to aim for an Olympic berth. In fact this is what most athletes in athletics do since they know that success is beyond their reach notwithstanding what Neeraj Chopra has achieved now. If in that process doping comes into play, no one would be bothered.
Ayush1234567

Post by Ayush1234567 »

Bronze assured in Paralympics TT Women’s Singles Class 4 Event.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Bhavina Patel is in the final in the TT Women’s Singles Class 4 Event ... She defeated 2016 Rio Gold medalist and Silver medalist in the quarters and semis respectively. :clap:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Congratulations Bhavina Patel for winning the Silver medal in Table Tennis! Proud moment ... :clap:
She lost in the final against Chinese girl Zhou Ying 0-3 (7-11, 5-11, 6-11)

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Congratulations to Bhavina!!

But why don't they do Paralympics before the Olympics? It would get a lot more coverage. When it comes right after the big high from the big event, it is tough for people to get excited.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Agree Jay.

Nishad Kumar wins our 2nd Silver in Paralympics ... He won the medal in the Men's High Jump T47 with 2.06m effort ... Congratulation Nishad Kumar!

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) announced cash prize for Bhavina ... They will give Rs 31 lakhs to Bhavina Patel for winning a Silver medal at Paralympic Games.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Now 3rd medal on same day, this turning into a very amazing National Sports Day 2021 ... :bounce:

The 41-year-old Vinod Kumar wins a Bronze Medal in the Men's Discus Throw - F52 ... He created a new Asian Record with a throw of 19.91m.

Ullhas

Post by Ullhas »

Today turns out to be best day in history of Paraolympics for India.
Already won 2 golds, 2 silvers and 1 bronze. Entire tally of 2016 crossed in a single day.

Medal Name Sport Event
--------- ----------------------- ----------- -------------------------------------
Gold Avani Lekhara Shooting Women's R2 – 10m air rifle SH1
Gold Sumit Antil Athletics Men's Javelin Throw F64
Silver Yogesh Kathuniya Athletics Men's discus throw F56
Silver Devendra Jhajharia Athletics Men's javelin throw F46
Bronze Sundar Singh Gurjar Athletics Men's javelin throw F46

Devendra Jhajhariya equals record of legendary Joginder Singh Bedi of winning 3 medals.
srini

Post by srini »

So 6 medal India's best haul in terms of total medals at the games to date ? One more Gold and we can be par Rio Gold count in which we had 2 Gold. Manic Modi is still managing to continue to call all medalists. I am hoping he will find the medal haul at 2024 daunting to catchup with all medalists, if he is still at helm by that time!
Last edited by srini on Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ullhas

Post by Ullhas »

What a feat by Sumit Antil. He broke WR thrice at a single event. :notworthy:

His story is a good read:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spo ... 760019.cms
srini

Post by srini »

I just asked for one more Gold and it was granted :) and with almost one more week remaining, so more to come. Great going!!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Great going. But, anyone knows how there are so many Javelin throw contests? There were 2 today and there was 1 on earlier day aa well if I recall correctly.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Because we needed to make India win.