Commonwealth Games 2018, Gold Coast, Australia, April 5-14

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Commonwealth Games 2018, Gold Coast, Australia, April 5-14

Post by sameerph »

Yes, there is no doubt that this was our best ever games, better than Delhi one too.
arjun2761 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:44 pm As far as rowing is concerned, it is a less deep sport but it requires length (in the bigger boats the optimal optimal height is around 6-3 to 6-8) and core strength, so not sure Indians (or Chinese) are particularly suited for it except perhaps in the light weight categories where I don't think there are many Olympic events.
True, in Rio, China only won 2 bronze medals and no other Asian country won a medal and in Canoeing/Kayaking,no Asian country won a medal at Rio. We are behind China in rowing and Canoeing/Kayaking and China itself barely wins medals in these sports in olympics. So, it will be a long haul for us to win medals in these sports in olympics. We may be a little close to world level in table tennis although I agree there too it will be very hard to get someone to be in top 8 or sports in a short time to be a medal contender at olympics but more probable than rowing/kanoing/kayaking,IMO.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

To get someone in the top 8 in a short period of time you need a coach like Gopi, a world class academy and dedicated pupils like Saina and Sindhu.
The one good academy India had in tennis is now closed though it managed to produce a legend called Leander.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

Varma wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:00 pm What the hell is going on? :damn: :damn: :damn:

Two Indian athletes banned from Commonwealth Games after needles discovered

Mugu...where are you?

- Varma
The fact that needles were found is disturbing, but not surprising. Indian athletics continues to be dope-aided. Thus there will be major swings in performances. This CWG also showed such swings. And they will be there in the Jakarta Asian Games also later this year. Except for the performance of Neeraj Chopra in Gold Coast, I will take all other Indian performances in athletics only with a pinch of salt. From 16.26 in 2016, triple jumper Rakesh Babu (the man who was kicked out of CWG for coming up with a needle in his bag) improved to 16.52 in 2017(his next best that year was 16.08!), climbed to 16.59 in Indian GP this season, dropped to 16.24 in Fed Cup and dropped again to 15.98 to place 12th and last in qualification in CWG. Then, just as the 'needle story' was breaking AFI stated he had pulled out of the final because of an injury.
depleter

Post by depleter »

CWG waste of time, India should withdraw altogether: IOA president
The government has so far resisted the calls from the IOA and NRAI to boycott the Birmingham Games, saying such decisions cannot be taken unilaterally.

Claiming that they are no longer relevant, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Narinder Batra has called for the country to withdraw altogether from the Commonwealth Games rather than boycotting a one-off edition. Batra added that India should instead focus on taking part in international events where the level of competition is high to improve its standing at the Olympics.
Batra said he will put up this proposal at the IOA executive board meeting, which is likely to be held next month. If the members approve, the Olympic body will take it up with the government and subsequently the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) president, when she visits the country in November.
“These Games have no standard. For me, these are a waste of time and money. We win 70 medals, 100 medals at the Commonwealth Games while at the Olympics, we get stuck at two (medals),” Batra told The Indian Express, referring to India’s tally in Rio. “That means the level of competition isn’t high at CWG. It’s not a ranking tournament either. So why waste time? We should rather go to better competitions and prepare for the Olympics.”

In July, the IOA took an unprecedented step and proposed a complete boycott of the 2022 CWG in Birmingham after the organisers dropped shooting from the programme despite months of lobbying by the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) as well as former sports minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore. CGF president Louise Martin is likely to visit New Delhi on November 14 to meet IOA officials as well as sports minister Kiren Rijiju.

Batra said he wasn’t in favour of boycotting a standalone edition of the Games. “I’m not in favour of the boycott. In sports, you never use the word boycott. My fundamental principle is either we withdraw permanently or go and compete,” Batra said. “We will have an internal discussion in IOA before the meeting (with CGF) on November 14. I’ll put up this suggestion in the IOA meeting and see if there is a consensus. We’ll have political decisions as well.”

The government has so far resisted the calls from the IOA and NRAI to boycott the Birmingham Games, saying such decisions cannot be taken unilaterally. But Batra insisted participating in the CWG does not benefit Indian athletes given the competition level isn’t ‘high enough’. “The entire Middle East does not compete in CWG. The USA doesn’t either. Ultimately, IOA will vote for it. As a sports administrator, it is my duty to make sure India has a strong team for the 2024, 2028, 2032 Olympics. We won’t achieve that by competing at the CWG,” he said.

India have won 101, 64 and 66 medals in the 2010, 2014 and 2018 editions of the CWG respectively. Athletes winning medals at these Games receive hefty prize money, with centre earmarking `30 lakh for gold medalists, `20 lakh for silver winners and `10 lakh for bronze medalists. The state governments offer separate prize money while employers like Railways, oil companies and state police department offer cash incentives and/or promotions to the medal winners.

Batra acknowledged his suggestions may not go down with the athletes. “Athletes may hate me for it because they get prize money for these Games. I will request the government to divide this prize money in different tournaments of better level,,” Batra said. “If it is not a good competition then why should we go?”

The IOA chief added the Commonwealth body has been ‘undermining’ India and the country is not adequately represented in its bodies ‘despite being their largest partners, population wise.’ “Yet, they don’t consider us seriously. There are 13 committees and there isn’t one Indian in them. There is no Indian in the executive board. Why are we in the system? It’s a colonial thing.”

https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... t-6025737/

No Indian in 13 committees.....wow.
TBF I support the decision to completely come out from the CWG. Except few events the level of competition is so low and except for some bragging rights it's not at all useful.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Depleter—since you provide the link, it would be good to not cut and post the whole article. It just makes the post unwieldy. Thanks.

P.S. you should absolutely quote specific sections if you want to highlight a particular aspect(s).
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Is this Batra the much maligned ‘worm’ from the hockey administration? He seems to be making sense here.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Same "worm", more power.

I am going to disagree with him just on that principle.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Haha... I am also not too keen on agreeing with Mr. Batra, just because he is our "worm". But then again, I think he has been generally okay and doing his job in my opinion, ever after all the BS he did to amass power in Indian hockey and then kick out good coaches a few years ago. Here, I think he is generally correct in what he says.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

The issue is whether there is a fixed budget. If the government does not put money in here but saves the money, where are we going to spend that. If it is on better causes, then let us use it. For example, if we can send our players or more players to World Cups etc. Or tougher tournaments in each sport. Otherwise, treat it as a National Games or SAAF Games. If we are sending people to SAAF Games, why not Commonwealth Games? The SAAF Games should combine with the Southeast Asian Games, imho.
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

I think it all started due to shooting being removed from next cwg, not because of the quality. We have world class teams such as uk, Australia, Canada, Jamaica..
.so we can't say quality is not up to the standards
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Best in swimming in the world- Australia
Best in Rugby in the world- New Zealand
Best in Sprints in the world- Jamaica
Best in Cricket in the world- Barbados (at one time) and Australia (since West Indies went down)
Best in Hockey in the world- Pakistan and India (at one time)
Best in winter sports in the world- Canada

So commonwealth nations are not that bad in sports
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

The modern day Darbari Rajas are back at it again. This time probably they didn't get the Salaam Thoks/Ji Huzuris by the Gora Sahibs the way they feel entitled to back home, so they wanna pull out in the name of patriotism/national prestige and anti-colonialism. Are they really serving the Indian sports' interests by this decision? Why does it have to be my way or high way? Why look at the medal tally alone? We're offended because we won't be able to piggyback the shooters' performances. Why should one sport be a parameter to decide? First they should make up their mind whether it's that or because they didn't get to sit on a fancy chair in some committee. If it's the former, then shooting is doing to Athletics, Gymnastics, Swimming, Cycling, Table Tennis what cricket did to shooting, wrestling, boxing, tennis and badminton 10 years back.
We're no China and we aren't dominating the games in all sports, so to say we're moving out because there's no "competition" is absolute rubbish because last time I checked, we aren't winning much in the following: Athletics, Gymnastics, Swimming, Cycling, TT, Basketball.. all of them being Olympic sports which offer a butload of medals both at CWG and Olympics. We aren't good at Athletics, Gymnastics and Swimming where maximum medals come from in any multi-sporting event. Maybe CWG is a way to gauge how good we're at this level. Ask Neeraj Chopra, Deepa Karmakar, Srihari Natraj, Sathiyan Gnanasekaran and Esow Alben too and not just the shooters.
depleter

Post by depleter »

The thing is that this is not a one off occurrence though. For the last 2 decades there have been continuous reduction of sports where India or other asian/african nations do well. But constant addition of non standard events in swimming, track cycling etc which are only helpful to UK/ Aus and in turn Can/ SA. Completely removing shooting is just a major trigger here.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Agree that removing shooting (a core olympic sport) doesn't make sense in a mini-olympic like event. As probably one of the larger revenue sources (for TV), we should also have proportional representation in the committees.

That said, this is a good event for India to compete at a lower level and gain confidence in fields which are reasonably competitive (probably in the same ball park as the Asian games in many events), so would prefer that we find a way to stay in.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

depleter wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 am The thing is that this is not a one off occurrence though. For the last 2 decades there have been continuous reduction of sports where India or other asian/african nations do well. But constant addition of non standard events in swimming, track cycling etc which are only helpful to UK/ Aus and in turn Can/ SA. Completely removing shooting is just a major trigger here.
We should certainly negotiate with a threat of leaving the Commonwealth to get some political power in the organization.

I really would like to see a merging of the SAAF Games with the Southeast Asian Games. Why does someone not think of it?