Asian Indoor Games 2017, Ashgabat,Turkmenistan,Sept. 17

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Asian Indoor Games 2017, Ashgabat,Turkmenistan,Sept. 17

Post by sameerph »

Opening a thread for these games to discuss some interesting results from Indian point of view.

In the latest medal tally, we are way down in 13th position with 5 golds, 7 silver and 8 bronze medals. But, then there are many sport which seems to have been added to boost host medal tally where we are not even participating - Traditional wrestling, Belt wrestling etc.

Host nation Turkministan is leading with a whopping 73 gold medals, of which 38 have come in belt wrestling and 23 in traditional wrestling. :roll:
They are followed in medal tally by Iran, Uzbekistan, Thailand, China and Kazakhstan.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Asian Indoor Games 2017, Ashgabat,Turkmenistan,Sept. 17

Post by sameerph »

Our 5 golds have all come in Athletics - Ajay Saroj Kumar in 1500M., G. Laxmanan in 3000M, Arpinder Singh in triple jump, P.Unnikrishan in womens 1500M and Purnima Hembram in womens pentathlon.

This the list of our medalists so far -

Ashgabat, Indian medalists

Couple of interesting performances, couple of silver medals for Deborah Herold in track cycling and Sajjan Prakash with a silver in 100M butterfly.

I just checked his records and at recent wold championships, he clocked only 54.46 sec and her he clocked a blistering 51.97. Does it make so much of a difference swimming indoors ? I

It seems it was a short course where 1 way it will be 25M instead of 50. I guess it will be slower with more turnovers or the other way around ?

I am amazed at that much improvement by him.
Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prashant »

sameerph wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:17 pmIt seems it was a short course where 1 way it will be 25M instead of 50. I guess it will be slower with more turnovers or the other way around ?
No - short course should be much much faster because you get to push off the wall more often. Breast stroke doesn't improve quite as much because you aren't allowed flip turns, but all the other strokes go way faster on short course.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks, Prashanth. In that case, that improvement in timing by Sajjan looks reasonable.
Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prashant »

So I went back & checked, and actually flip turns aren't allowed in butterfly either. However, I think generally you see ~1 second bump for each push off the wall. In a 100M short course, you have three wall pushes, vs only 1 in a regular 50M pool. So I would guess improvement between 2 & 3 seconds which is in line with the times you have posted...
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Today in wrestling, Bajrang Punia won gold in men freestyle 75 kgs. It was quite a competitive field as he beat wrestlers from Iran, Tajikistan and Japan.

Bajrang also won gold at Asian championships earlier this year. He is most probably the best wrestler in Asia in his weight class. Next year's Asian games will be a good test for him.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Today another gold for us in Billiards Singles from Sourav Kothari.

3 more bronze medals from wrestling too where the field looks close to best Asian level.