Boxing

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Boxing

Post by prasen9 »

It is rather ghoulish to start a thread calling for the demise of a "sport". But, I have long believed that this "sport" should be banned. I also accept that I am somewhat hypocritical in that even though I do not follow golf and motor sports, I do follow Indian boxing. I guess if it is there and our players are going to go anyway, maybe get the benefits if you are paying the cost - is my stand. Not very moral, I admit.

Today, there was news of CTEs that affected Aaron Hernandez, an American football player. It is a sad story. The guy had advanced CTEs in his late 20s. Maybe 80% of the CTE cases are related to another sport: boxing. The current sport is barbaric and does not have a space in human society or should not have inasmuch as gladiators fighting lions is not a spectator sport today. Yes, I am exaggerating, but I think showing something "reductio ad absurdum" is indeed a powerful tool.

The American, British, and Australian medical associations have all called for boxing to be banned. Like we have banned smoking, we should ban boxing unless clearly meaningful changes are made.

At the next Olympics, they should ban boxing because of its causing CTEs. And, perhaps ban weightlifting because of the rampant use of doping agents. Redistribute these medals such as shooting, which is cutting events (one objective being gender equality).

Anyway, here is what should be done to change boxing to make it a sport. Just codswallop!

And in this post, I am being serious.
prasen9

Re: Boxing

Post by prasen9 »

India will host the Asian Boxing Championships in New Delhi from May 21 to 31st. Will these award ranking points? If so, will that count for the Olympics?
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

There is an Indian boxing thread :-)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, but, strictly speaking, this is about boxing beyond India as it is the Asian Championships. In essence, this thread is a placeholder for things that go beyond Indian boxing. My interpretation is that the scope of the event goes beyond Indian boxing. And I suspect we may discuss events in that championship beyond just Indian boxers' performance. Hence, I used this one. If we want only one thread, perhaps renaming that thread to boxing and merging these there would solve the problem. Or we can have this boxing thread for general boxing and an Indian boxing thread for Indian boxing. I am fine with whatever the forum gods decide. :-)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

I think late this remain for any non-Indian boxing discussion if we ever have one. :D . We did not have any in the last 10 years and use the other thread to discuss Indian boxing.

Prasen, I think Asian boxing championships does not carry ranking points which will help for olympics qualfication. Otherwise, it would have appared somewhere that with hosting of this event, we have chance to qualify more boxers for olympics. But, not 100% sure.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thanks for the clarification Sameer. I had read that the Asian Boxing Championships would count towards ranking points and therefore influence spots in Tokyo in December. Here is the article But that article also said that it would include only points until May 2nd and the ABC is after that. So, who knows. I will check things out a bit more to see if I find something else.