World class players from India

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: World class players from India

Post by Atithee »

I'm sorry that I proposed anything. If you don't get the general gist and continue to try to quantify it, then I'm sorry; I don't have a better way of presenting my view. Why don't you try instead to give your definitions and let me poke holes in it?
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

SaniaFan wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:27 am So Okuhara is not world class either. She is out of top 5 for a.long time as well. Do we change our world class every week? These days Chen long and Lee chong wei are also not world class I guess. And Lin Dan was not world class for best of last 6 years. Including when he won Olympics!!
What a deliberately disingenuous post.

Okuhara is a young player on the up. She will get to world class level if she continues performing like she has done in recent weeks.

Carolina Marin has been world class for a few years and TTY and Sindhu for a lesser duration.

As on the men's side, I am not even sure what nonsense you are talking. Lin Dan was consistently in the top 2 for many years when we won the Olympics and World championships.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:22 pm Why don't you try instead to give your definitions and let me poke holes in it?
1) Because it is not as much fun :p
2) Because it is my job to poke holes and annoy people on this board. If I do not do so, Jay will not pay me my monthly salary and may fire me from my job.

Top-k in the world in their discipline using the sports' ranking or some other reasonable ranking, e.g., ELO, etc. k >=5. k to be adjusted depending upon popularity of sports among people who can afford it. So, k will possibly be 10-15 in tennis. Or maybe top-20. Top 5-8 in badminton. To me, even if you reached world #8 in badminton for one week, that is a phenomenal achievement. You are not world-best but you are certainly world class.

Or if the player won the game's top-level tournament, e.g., grand slam winner in tennis, world championships and olympics in badminton, etc. So, by virtue of her win, Sloane Stephens is world class.
Last edited by prasen9 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Okuhura just won the world championship and she is not world class! Don't know what to make of this. It is crystal clear that we have different definitions of world class. I think you guys are talking of greats and not simply world-class. To be world class, you need to be among the best in the world. Even if you were among the best for one month, you were world-class for that month.

Clearly, if we have different definitions (apples and oranges), is it worth arguing?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Meant to say WC win over and above the bronze in the Olympics in the post above. She is not world class! If you give me Okuhara-class, I will be mighty happy. I do not need world class.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Also she won the year end world super series finals in 2015. So she has already won WC,. WSF and Olympics bronze.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

deliberately disingenuous

Is this correct usage? "Disingenuous" is politically correct way of saying you are a liar(in this context). So if some one is lying it has to be deliberate. So is deliberately needed here?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe we should change the title of the thread to "Semantics of Words". First, we were arguing about the difference between world class and world great. Now, we are arguing about what deliberately disingenuous means :-) Can anyone suggest the next phrase we should disambiguate next?