Pre-mortem on the Tokyo Olympics disaster

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Pre-mortem on the Tokyo Olympics disaster

Post by sameerph »

It is more on general sports development but decided to put it here as results can be measured from the performance in Tokyo.

Union Cabinet approves revamping of Khelo India Program with wide-ranging interventions

And this Rathore's interview on the scheme-

A massive overhaul of sporting system is underway: Sports minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore

Rs. 5,00,000 per year for 1000 athletes looks good.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Just a food for thought.

The title of this thread suddenly sounds funny to me. The literal meaning according to Medical Dictionary - Existing or taking place immediately before death Ha ha ha!

Tolamu(still could not login)
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

No better thread to post this if true

https://www.foxsportsasia.com/other-spo ... udget-cut/

@sameer have you seen anything more reported on this?
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Wanted to post in 2020 Olympics thread but I felt the tone matches that of the article itself.

Neeraj Chopra's coach complains of poor equipment, diet

If you land someone like Hohn as a coach, it is of paramount importance that what he says should be implemented with top priority. In fact we should be trying to be one step ahead if we want to compete with European standards, rather we are two behind. I don't even wanna imagine how the German team must be preparing right now in contrast to our system
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Damn. Did the coach expect good things to come out of this? I doubt it. There is more chance that they will give further support only if Neeraj changes his coach to somebody else. They will go find some guy somewhere abroad, who they will say is a better coach and then Hohn. Neeraj will refuse. He will lose more moths. Finally 4 months before Olympics, they will probably give him a bunch of support to avoid blame (and to put blame on Neeraj for not taking up the offer to support all this while)... All too late. There is more chance for that, than for SAI and others to stat helping, saying "we goofed". Hopefully some private party will step in now and help.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Well, all I see is "mouth action". Nothing seems to have been done. All they did is say that things are being done :-( If it was truly being done, the sports minister would have said that it was done or will be done by such and such a date or has been started by this and this authority. This sees like a PR effort to get the press away. I will only believe things after I hear that things are done.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:53 am Well, all I see is "mouth action". Nothing seems to have been done. All they did is say that things are being done :-( If it was truly being done, the sports minister would have said that it was done or will be done by such and such a date or has been started by this and this authority. This sees like a PR effort to get the press away. I will only believe things after I hear that things are done.
I want to believe Rathore but I agree that we need to see some action. Why is that we screw up so badly every time?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Not sure “mouth action” is a term I’d use :p
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Touche' :p lol.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Arjun and Jay were on point - early on, in this thread. Expecting 6 medals at-least in Tokyo. As of now, we are at 5 and just 1 more to fulfill their projections from 5 years back!
Mens hockey definitely gave us all a great big smile and joy yesterday by winning Bronze.

Will the women follow through and emulate the mens performance as well?
How about Neeraj in Javelin and Aditi in Golf?
And we still have Bajrang to start his wrestling matches....

We might even reach 8 medals total !! That would be fantastic and we should change the title of this thread to reflect such an awesome performance.... :D :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

For a country of our size and improving economy, I still think 5-10 medals is too few. I would not call it a disaster only going with our totally disastrous history. We are expected to improve since our economy is improving. Population and economic indicators are two of the important components predicting medals. I do not think this has been a greatly successful Olympics either.

I am not sad per se except for shooting and happy for the hockey and badminton medals plus the two silvers. But, I really care for gold medals. We need a few of these.

Hope hockey sees a revival of interest among the general public.