Rio Summer Olympics \ Summer Paralympics 2016

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Rio Summer Olympics 2016

Post by Prashant »

This *might* all have just been a misunderstanding. Perhaps Jaisha thought she was only allowed to accept any drink including water from Indian officials, while in fact she was supposed to accept water from generic stands & other drinks from Indian officials? Either way, silly of her to go playing the blame game.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Prashant wrote:This *might* all have just been a misunderstanding. Perhaps Jaisha thought she was only allowed to accept any drink including water from Indian officials, while in fact she was supposed to accept water from generic stands & other drinks from Indian officials? Either way, silly of her to go playing the blame game.
This is not the first time she is running marathon. She of course knows what goes on. I don't understand what game she is playing. All I can imagine is that her coach refused energy drinks, and she still expected plain water from Indian officials. The officials must have been a little clueless. Like Mugu said, they should have just kept something, to avoid blame. I wish they had filled 16 bottles with plain water and given it to the organizers to keep at the tables.

Meanwhile Sunitha Godara (former marathoner) says it could all have been caused by the adamant coach http://indilens.com/174665-sunita-blame ... shas-woes/ but again the BS that these athletes give is too much to take.
“Nikolai is such a dictator, he’s such an adamant man, it’s only because of him that this situation has arisen,” said Sunita, who said she has run nearly 50 international marathons ... “You never know, this coach would even say that because of these drinks, they could not perform. So, the blame has to go to the coach first, these are hazards of the marathon which the coach has to anticipate.” ... However, Sunita said that even if the coach and athlete refuse the personalised drinks, the support team should insist on providing them ... “The federation officials claim that in the World championships too, they had refused the offer of personalised drinks. But it is the duty of the federation officials to make it clear to the coach that it is a mistake. If the athlete is ignorant, the federation should take care, it’s a team effort. They should say, even if you don’t need these things, we are keeping them, just in case.
What?? The federation should know more than the athlete and the coach and do things on their own? They should expect the athlete and coach to be uninformed on something as simple as the water to drink?? I wish they had, but for our athletes to say this kind of crap is too much. What do they think they are?
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

If you look at the video link I had posted earlier, you would see Somdev devvarman in the panel of experts. Nice to see him on TV - but expected him to make more sense of the incident than what he spouted there!

He is on one track and one track only, change the officials who govern these federations and let athletes run them... :)

Just terrible to see 12 talking heads on the screen and the screaming match and ignorance on the issue at hand, ignoring basic facts, etc. :puke:
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

kujo wrote:If you look at the video link I had posted earlier, you would see Somdev devvarman in the panel of experts. Nice to see him on TV - but expected him to make more sense of the incident than what he spouted there!

He is on one track and one track only, change the officials who govern these federations and let athletes run them... :)

Just terrible to see 12 talking heads on the screen and the screaming match and ignorance on the issue at hand, ignoring basic facts, etc. :puke:
Generally such discussions end up by all of them calling for the heads of Federation officials, who are "always "shopping" or taking selfies or watching beach volleyball." This has become fashionable maybe because the participants feel this sells; just as the anchor feels he/she has to attack the federations.
This is not in defence of federations. But to paint all federation officials/coaches as people who have gone there for shopping or sightseeing is absurd. They might go to town, shop etc after the events are over for the day for their athletes (not all of them but at least a majority of them).
To say (TV debate) that there were 64 officials and none could be seen when Jaisha collapsed or on the route was also misleading. Not all the officials connected with the Indian contingent could be expected to be at the marathon route or finish. Others will have other sports to attend to.
Coaches and officials also would not be allowed into the competition area (finish) even when an athlete falls since medical staff and volunteers are around to take care of such situations. (Ambulances were positioned right through the route, I was told, as the normal practice for a marathon. This was Olympic marathon of course).
Last night the famous TV anchor told an AFI official to "wipe the smile off your face" or else "get out". How sad!
Incidentally, Indian Express had this fine piece this morning:
http://indianexpress.com/article/blogs/ ... y-2993400/
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

kujo, why are you even watching Indian TV? Just don't, if you want to keep any respect for the intellectual levels and class of Indians. I just cannot stand the classlessness and cluelessness of Indians who are on TV debates. That guy Arnab Goswamy should be ashamed of himself. This often-unprepared nitwit who doesn't have even a basic understanding of journalistic impartiality and anchor etiquette being the biggest thing on Indian TV is the worst testament to how far behind the world India is, when it comes to TV. Television wasn't allowed to start in India for 20 years after the rest of the world got going, but we are still at least 25 years behind any respectable nation of substance in the quality of TV news and debate. Unbelievable that the situation does not improve at all. I stopped watching any Indian TV some 10 odd years ago. I cannot stand the poor quality and the general level of stupidity I see. Our nation is not filled with so many people who lack substance, but people of substance are never seen on TV. If they ever are, nitwits like Arnab Goswami only shout them down. Disgusting.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

kujo wrote:If you look at the video link I had posted earlier, you would see Somdev devvarman in the panel of experts. Nice to see him on TV - but expected him to make more sense of the incident than what he spouted there!
Yes, Somdev has been on the times now Olympics panel for last 15 days. Did not hear him much though.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Mugundan wrote:To say (TV debate) that there were 64 officials and none could be seen when Jaisha collapsed or on the route was also misleading. Not all the officials connected with the Indian contingent could be expected to be at the marathon route or finish. Others will have other sports to attend to.
Exactly. For the record, there were several things going on at the time of the marathon. Golf with SSP and Anirban, Shooting with Gagan and Chain, singles matches of Sindhu, Saina, and Srikath, the SF match of Sania/Rohan, and the hockey QF between India and Belgium are all events that started when the women's marathon was going on. Sorry, we needed officials at many of those events too.
Mugundan wrote:Coaches and officials also would not be allowed into the competition area (finish) even when an athlete falls since medical staff and volunteers are around to take care of such situations. (Ambulances were positioned right through the route, I was told, as the normal practice for a marathon. This was Olympic marathon of course).
I saw her collapsing, in the archived NBC video (it seems not Indian channel has actually shown this? or have they? The wrong picture of her on the ground is plastered on every damn news report, including in the junk show that Arnab had). The official lady was by her side within 5 seconds and a stretcher had taken her out within maybe 2 minutes. No, the country officials are not allowed there because that would be too many people. Some 150 athletes were in the marathon, and even their coaches being allowed near the finish line would be too many people.

A relevant question that comes to my mind is why our marathoners refused energy drinks. Kavita said that she is not used to taking glucose or honey water during the race and refused it. Seeing every other country's desks (except 2 or 3) being manned and other runners getting their drinks, I wonder why Indians don't do that. Is it like our runners have some special strategy on this? If so why are they finishing in the bottom 1/4th? Something doesn't fit in this scenario.

Then comes the question on whether these marathoners had such water provided by our federation at other international events like the Asiad. So far, I see nobody asking that question. The only item we see is the standard copy/paste of what AFI said that these guys had refused energy drinks at the past events. Of course, our journalists never ask relevant questions, and would just keep copying and pasting the BS that comes from PTI and other sources.
munnabhai

Post by munnabhai »

We need a Charlie Rose in India. :oof:

Please Jebus...send us a Charlie Rose.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

If we started questioning officials going to town and shopping and sightseeing, all the so called "academic conferences" and "conventions" that even have prearranged sight seeing tours planned (mostly for spouses though) will go out of business. Right, Jay? Oh, yes, I know there are papers and posters presented too.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Who cares what they do AFTER they do their job? Finished your events for the day & done the job right? OK then feel free to go shop till you drop. I don't care. This "shopping" thing is a straw man.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Anirban Lahiri comments - 'What happened with Narsingh Yadav is anti-national': Golfer Anirban Lahiri blames IOC for poor Olympics
A lot of usual complaints that we see from Indian sportsmen. What else? But this part really bothered me -
The second day of the men's event was cold and wet, but the Indian pair weren't given proper clothing for the conditions. "We were standing on the tee box when it was raining and about 13 or 14 degrees in our track tops, while every other team was in their rain wear," Lahiri said. "And when the rain abated, we were still in our wet track tops while every other team was in their sweaters. Neither did we get a sweater nor did we get rain wear and we were not allowed to wear our own. It was embarrassing."

The experience has left such a deep mark on Lahiri that should he represent India again at the Tokyo Games in 2020, he is determined to take care of things himself. "Six months before the next Olympics, I will get every single piece of equipment made and I will do everything by myself, so that I don't have to rely on a last minute gaffe where it may affect our medal chances because obviously they (the officials) don't care," he added.
You needed this "experience" to learn that? If you took your Olympics appearance seriously, you wouldn't talk like this. Hey, Anirban, it says a lot about how serious you were if you, who has more experience on the Golf tour than anybody in Indian sports administration, did not think you needed to keep some rain wear in your bag. When you blame your country, just look at yourself first and see if YOU did what you could have done yourself rather than feel that you are some great dignitary of the country who needed to be pampered by the country. Give me friggin break, Anirban. If you were injured and were going to stink up the golf course like you did, you should have just told us and just withdrawn or something. To act like the rain gear or the taxi ride was what "affected your medal chances" is just too much.

The Indian officials' mistakes you point out are fine to be pointed out. But I wish you had blamed yourself first before the country. None of you sportsmen do. It's always "somebody else caused this". It's getting old.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Generally agree, but, it seems he said that he was not allowed to wear his own. That somewhat contradicts what he said in the next paragraph though. So, what was it? Were they allowed to get their own gear or not?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

I think Anirban wanted to say that he will going to take care of rain wear and sweater as per official Indian team dress or something like that.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Teach the administrators being the seasoned pro you are. They can't do what they don't know. Having politicians as the functioning head of our sports organizations contribute to it anyway. It's you who should take pride in your achievements damn it. Don't blame the country who had spent a fortune for people like you who are privileged to earn at least $25k or so for four days of walking around a manicured grass hitting a ball! We spend many $thousands per uniform for our soldiers in Siachin and it is still not always warm enough, and yet you cry like a sissy being in rain. Grow up you pampered fool. Or stop wearing India colors.

P.S. Wear your personal sweater inside the official track suit. And did you have only one that you couldn't at least change into a dry one after the rain abated?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Whatever needed to be done had to be done, and Anirban himself, and not the federation or IOA, should be the first one to make sure it would get done. If it required calling ahead multiple people in IOA and the federation to make sure that they would get rain gear or the right kind of shoes, or a water bottle hook on the golf kit with the caddy, he should've made sure of it. If it required getting out of the golf tour and flying to Delhi for a week to get people up to speed, he should've done that. Had he said, "I had specifically asked and reminded people to have it available to me but they still didn't do it", then I would have 100 times more respect for him. But what he did is to not take any blame and complain about others (even if the complaints are valid).

It is the same reason why I have complained in the past about LP and MB not playing enough events together before multiple past Olympics (in my mind, that is STILL the reason, and the only reason why they are medal-less at Olympics) and showing up late at the village, etc. Time and again, I have noticed our players and athletes taking Olympics not as seriously and with as much determination as needed. Golf and Tennis guys are a different breed, as they are in a different world of pro tours. Olympics just does not enter their mind with as much seriousness as needed. Learn from what those like Sindhu and Dipa had to do, and how much care they and their coaches showed in trying to peak at the right time. I don't think tennis players and golfers can claim that they were ever that serious. Hence, they have under-performed every time. No surprise that LP, who was a struggling tour player in 1996 hardly making ends meet, had the kind of determination to do something and get it done in 96. That is what is needed, and that is what he himself, and many others have not shown later. We fans are much more worried if such details are handled, than these people are. Then we hear that there was no rain gear, or that water wasn't given at the booths, and all the usual complaints about Indian officials who we all know are pretty clueless anyway. Frustrating.