Commonwealth games 2014, Glasgow,Scotland - 23 July -3 Aug

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

akmohanty

Re: Commonwealth games 2014, Glasgow,Scotland - 23 July -3 A

Post by akmohanty »

any idea on prospects of arpinder singh for triple jump? he has the season's best and qualified fourth. i am assuming that we are done with 'foul maniac' ;) renjith maheshwary and there is now new blood!
ssp

Post by ssp »

3 finals lost so far. 2 in boxing and one in TT. I fully expect more losses in squash and remaining boxing finals and tomorrow's badminton finals, so I think we may end up with 13 golds. But overall medal count is not far off as i think we will get to 62. About 8 short of what I was hoping for on both Golds and total medals.

At last, we win a final. WD in squash from Chinappa and Pallikal. Brilliant. :D
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

Great stuff, in my book that was a largely unexpected Gold! woohoo

relax ssp, folks are trying their best. btw, we have over-achieved in a mega-event (hockey). so, not that bad a day in the office overall so far :cool:
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Given the change in events and home nation refereeing, 60+ medals is not bad.
kna

Post by kna »

Congratulations Joshna and Dipika!

I just had to cut and paste my favorite post ever in Sports-India. This was posted by Jay in April 2008 in the Joshna Chinappa thread when Joshna and Dipika were talking about body piercings and tattoos in an interview :-)
Like my grandmother would say, "Narayana, narayana, the girls these days! ..."

Jay
ssp

Post by ssp »

Sindhu gets the bronze. Now hope Gurusaidatt can do the same in the MS 3rd place match.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Sindhu is the biggest disappointment of the games for me.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

In sports, you have good days and bad days. Yes, Sindhu was a disappointment!
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

The English boxing commentators are so bad.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

Arpinder Singh took the bronze at 16.63m.
Our women's 4x400 team dropped a baton (Luka to Ratandeep Kaur on third) and got disqualified. Didn't see them after that incident.
Quite mysteriously, javelin throwers Ravinder Singh and Vipin Kasana both have 'NM' (no mark) listed against them. The detailed results show only dash, dash, dash which means they passed all their attempts (and not they fouled their attempts!). Whether they passed or whether they fouled there is mystery here, especially since two of them did it. They had come through qualification at 11th and 12th, filling up the last two places.
Three medals in athletics (Gowda gold, Seema silver, Arpinder bronze) is not bad. Disappointments were Krishna Poonia (probably injury), Mayookha Johny (inexplicable slump) and to a lesser extent Tintu Luka for whom a place the final should not have been all that difficult.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

We are now at 61 medals with 14 golds, 28 silvers and 19 bronze medals. 3 more medals assured with 3 finals coming up today ( Hockey and 2 in Badminton). 4th position is out of question now with Scotland at 19 golds. We are tied with NZ who is also at 14 golds but less much silvers. NZ could also be in line for 1-2 finals today. So, we will have to at least get 1 more gold today to finish fifth.

In last CWG at Delhi, we had total of 101 medals. Of these 32 were in the sports which are not there this time ( Tennis, Archery, Greco Roman Wrestling ,Shooting pairs). So, it would have been 69 medals without them. In that sense, 64 medals is a fair performance with home advantage gone. The disappointment is in terms of number of gold medals. We had 38 golds medals last time. If we exclude golds from events mentioned above , it would have been 22. So, needed to be at least at 20 to call it a decent performance. At least 5-6 of those 28 silvers should have been converted into golds and then it would been satisfying performance overall.

Boxing has been a disappointment with no golds. It seems like the organisation mess up with the association getting banned and all has put our boxing back a couple of years.

Also in shooting, needed better conversion from silvers to golds.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

Shame in Glasgow!
IOA Secretary-General, Rajiv Mehta, arrested in Glasgow. Reports say for drunken driving. Another Indian official, a wrestling referee, Virender Singh, also arrested and initial reports suggest on charges of sexual assault. What a shame for India!
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Sameer, do you know how many new events were added in which we got medals. If you deduct the medals won in the events gone, you should also add the ones that are new to get a more accurate picture. Thanks for the information, though.
ssp

Post by ssp »

I feel 24 golds and 70 overall should have been possible. We should have converted some of the silvers to golds in boxing (2), wrestling (2), shooting (3), TT (1), badminton (1), Judo (1). We had too many 4th places as well. Maybe we can get another gold today, but the way we have been losing the finals, I am not too hopeful.

Of the events added, I think only Judo brought us medals (4 in total but no golds!). TT was good for us in Delhi, but Singapore's imports have moved the goalposts in that event and Nigeria are going to trouble us in wrestling and weightlifting in the future.

Biggest disappointments have been badminton (Sindhu and team event), shooting and wrestling. Bonus medals in squash and gymnastics.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Kashyap wins gold in mens singles beating Derek Wong of Singapore in a thriller 21-19 in the third game.
So, finally something good in badminton which was a disappointment till now.