India facing Olympic ban

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

India facing Olympic ban

Post by Prashant »

India may become the first country since apartheid era South Africa to be banned from the Olympics.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/olympics/25278744
Tolamu
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: India facing Olympic ban

Post by Tolamu »

The news item has been taken off. Does it mean that information is likely to be controversial?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I still see that news item there, Tolamu.

There is really nothing new though. Aren't we already suspended from Olympics, as of last year? It seems like just sabre-rattling. IOC really *cannot* ban India. It's not that simple a thing in the end, to keep the world's largest democracy out of the Olympics "movement" that they talk about. But they could use scare tactics all the way to the end though, before letting us in.

Jay
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

As much as I hate the corrupt officers holding almost all powerful positions in Indian sports organizations, including IOA, I vehemently disagree with the IOC dictating who and who cannot be the officers of any national bodies. If the nation chooses to have a corrupt person at the helm, it is none of the IOC's business. IOC should focus on the athletes, not the administration. Similarly, I don't like IOC interfering into the respective government's support/non-support in the national body's functioning. Again, none of their business. Of course, if there are apartheid type of national policies, using sanctions is justified. But, not in everyday matters. It is not impacting anyone else. God knows, our own athletes suffer much; no need to compound their misery. So, please stop posturing, and stay away.

Yes, the original BBC link is still working. An associated link there (see below) also articulates my thoughts much better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20603995
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

If the IOC does not recognize the Indian Olympic body but allows the players to participate as individuals under a virtual group called Republic of India, then that would be fine with me.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

Following Sunday's meeting of the IOA and further constitution amendments regarding "charge-framed" officials not being eligible to contest elections, I think the stage has been set for the IOC to lift its suspension of IOA.
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-spo ... 436538.ece
The IOC meeting tomorrow and the day after will give some indication as to what could be the follow-up action even if it does not immediately lift the suspension. There is hardly anything else the IOC seems to be concerned about, though there could be plenty of other reasons for the IOC to wield the stick if it wants.
As Jay pointed out, we were already suspended from the Olympics. But since no Olympics was round the corner we could breathe easy. Some Asian indoor games etc were handled with India being named as an independent entity etc. Since it was not such a big competition, it did not hurt. Had it been the Asian Games it might have. Boxing, taekwondo and gymnastics (if I am not making a mistake) suspended Indian federations in these sport but allowed our competitors to compete at various stages in various competitions.
Things would have been different had the IOC gone ahead and de-recognized IOA since that would attract suspension from various International Federations also and then it would be up to them to allow our athletes under a neutral flag etc. When the IOC suspended IOA in December last year it did so with no "qualifying statement" like, Indian athletes being allowed to compete under the Olympic flag etc. There might have been several such examples in the past but then this arrangement is a specific decision taken by the IOC Eexecutive Board and no such decision was taken. India media, however, has continued to write this as the arrangement that the IOC had decreed and even a couple of reports today suggested that. De-recognition would have come, if it has/had to come, only at an IOC Session. But a recommendation of the Executive Board would have carried a lot of weight.
I don't think there is any more threat of de-recognition. The IOA meeting yesterday decided to send a delegation to Lausanne to explain the legal position in India vis a vis 'charge-framed' officials etc. I doubt whether the IOC would make any concessions.
I agree with Atithee that the IOC is intruding too much into the internal affairs of an NOC. The IOA officials have stated that such restrictions as are being imposed now on India, are not there in any country and the IOC is discriminating. It is possible that the IOC is hand in glove with Government of India in these matters since the Govt is keen that "corrupt" officials are kept away from sports administration (to show to the media that they do mean business with the CWG scam even as the 'big fish' in that scam including Delhi govt and Central govt ministers and bureaucrats have gone scotfree) even as this government has started paying the price (at least some price) for having nurtured corruption and corrupt ministers and politicians for decades.
Though no one can support Indian sports officials in general and those facing charges in particular, the IOC has overlooked many other drawbacks in the Indian system to go after 'charge-framed' officials who argue that charges being framed do not mean that they are guilty and that cases go on for years in India thus effectively ruling out their eligibility for such elections almost for 10 or 15 or 20 years.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

I hope this is sorted out before the Winter Olympics.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

jayakris wrote: It seems like just sabre-rattling. IOC really *cannot* ban India. It's not that simple a thing in the end, to keep the world's largest democracy out of the Olympics "movement" that they talk about. But they could use scare tactics all the way to the end though, before letting us in.
Jay
That's what all of us thought till December last year Jay, that the IOC simply cannot suspend the "largest democracy" of the world. Every sports official said the same thing, that IOC would not suspend a country like India; every Govt official and politician said the same, that it is not like suspending Kuwait or Iraq or Nepal. But when the IOC came up with the suspension in December last year, everyone was stunned. Now, they seem to have decided to recommend de-recognition of India to the IOC Session. They would have done that, too, just to show their authority and just to show it to the world that they can do that even with the largest democracy. They might not do this to US, Russia or China or even Britain, Germany or some other European countries. With the Indian Govt fully backing the IOC in this "operation clean-up", the iOC looked to have been emboldened to adopt a tough stand. They even pursued the matter with the Olympic Council of Asia and might have done it with the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) also even though they have no authority over the latter organisation. The ban imposed by the AIBA on Indian boxers (later diluted) was an example how the IOC decisions could influence international federations. In fact the IOC had written to all the federations seeking their views on further concerted action against India. De-recognition would have automatically forced International Federations to suspend their Indian counterparts leading to much confusion, delays, and even banishment from major competitions. The IOC would have put pressure on a majority of the Summer Olympics Sports Federations to force India to toe its line.
The suspension has been on for one year now, and, if anything, the IOC has only hardened its stand. The face-off did take place, but the IOA could nor go beyond writing letters. It could have called the bluff by waiting for the IOC EB meeting on the 10th and 11th. But before that the IOA just gave up.
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

Suspension continues; Indian athletes eligible under Olympic flag at Sochi:
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-spo ... epage=true
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

We shouldn't be satisfied with this much. Why keep the elections so late? I really feel bad for Shiva Keshavan. Would have been his 5th Olympics representing India. Now he has to go under the IOC flag and be more like a personal result as they won't count it for India.