ASIAN GAMES 2010 nov 12th to 27

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

akmohanty

Re: ASIAN GAMES 2010 nov 12th to 27

Post by akmohanty »

jayakris wrote: It is actually Krishan Vikas. Vikas is the last name. We should call him Krishan, if we are calling other bozers by their firstname. I will correct as much as possible in my posts and others'.
and now, you have gotten close to calling all of them boozers :rofl:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Oh well .. It has been a long couple of weeks :( .. Tired from Asiad .. I can't believe we filled up 85 pages of this thread. About 75 of them since the Asiad started. Amazing. Is there any other sports forum that follows Indian sports this closely. No, there isn't!

Jay
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Almost all the reports I saw in the press earlier on seemed to refer to him as Vikas Krishnan :oops: ! There I was thinking that we seemed to have atleast one boxer from outside the Haryana group -- and likely a South Indian (Tamizhaga perhaps) to boot. Now it turns out his name is Vikas Krishan. The same 18-year-old who also won a bronze medal at the YOG in Singapore in August. What a year it has been for this kid! Terrific!!

From the photographs, he looks a typical Haryanvi too -- although I haven't checked whether he is from the Bhiwani stable.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

PKB - there is indeed a southie boxer, though not a thamizhaga man. Santhosh Virothu is from AP. The "h" in Santhosh should be a give-away that he is from the south (though only malayalees in the south consistently use an "h", occasionally you find an "h" in other south Indian names, while north Indian names never seems to have one for the "t" sound in the Indian languages).

.. And yes, Vikas is also from the Bhiwani stable.

Anyway, further research shows that Vikas is indeed the first (given) name. I believe Vikas Krishan Yadav is the full name, though he does not seem to use the Yadav part. Krishan comes from his dad's name, Krishan Kumar Yadav. I think like in my case (R. Jayakrishnan), his given name seems to become offically the last name sometimes; that is all.

So, it was correct for all of us to call him Vikas. Just need to correct the Krishnan part (which most probably was my mistake - because I see that sameer and jaydeep were using Krishan from the beginning) ..

I edited everybody's posts where Krishnan was used. Hopefully I found most of them.. (I know, I am being anal about it..)

Jay
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

feeling sad for mary kom though; after winning so many world titles and almost reaching the end of her illustrious career, she is still an outsider for most as she hasn't had an Asian Games Gold or an Olympics medal so far (much of it not being her fault as women's boxing hadn't been included uptil now in either). here's sincerely hoping this weight-disadvantage is sorted out (and also, that the loss to the Chinese was an anamoly resulting from facing a local player) and she gets atleast a medal in the Olympics, if not a Gold. :goodluck:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Jay, thanks for being so punctilious -- not at all anal -- in correcting the gold medalist's name in all our posts. I only wish our sports journalists would be this meticulous. It is a crying shame that this kid has had his name mangled all year -- and throughout the time that he was boxing at the Asiad, until the final. If we have a sporting hero who is bringing glory to our country, the least we can do is get his name right!

Look at this, from the time he won the World Youth championship:
http://www.sportskeeda.com/2010/05/04/v ... mpionship/
Or this report of his victory in the Asia semi-final:
http://www.indiavision.com/news/article/sports/128051/

So no wonder so many of us were fooled. You would think that somebody (especially a sports-journalist, who follows sports for a living) would do the basic research to get the young hero's name right!!

CONGRATULATIONS, Vikas Krishan Yadav!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Talking about quality of gold medals , it is worth noting that last time 8 out of India's 10 golds came in non-olympic events ( Kabaddi, Jaspal Rana's 3 golds, Pankaj Advani , 2 in chess, mixed doubles tennis ) & only 2 ( Athletics relay & tennis mens doubles ) were in olympic events.

This time only 3 of the 15 gold medals ( Pankaj Advani & 2 Kabaddi golds ) are in non olympic sports. So, potentially we have 12 medalists this time who are prospects in olympic events as as opposed to 2 last time although it is not as simple as our Athletics & Rowing gold medalists are well below world standards but at the same time there are some silver, bronze medalists ( specially in shooting & archery) who are closer to world standard.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Incidently, in Volleyball Japan ( whom India had beaten in leage stage) went on to win gold medal beating Iran in the final while we finished sixth. It seems our performace in second stage of the tournament went down as opposed to teams like Japan.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Excellent point, sameer, about the big increase in golds in Olympics events this time, compared to the last time. Even if that does not mean that they are close to Olympics medals in all those events, it means that we will indeed have many more entries who are competitive (top-6 type quality) at Olympics. Have enough of those, and some good things will happen somewhere or other.

Due to players' being unable to go to the Asiad, we also lost two golds which are both certainly top-4 or medal possiilities at Olympics too (Mirza-Bopanna and Susheel Kumar).

This is also one more reason not to feel all that bad about missing the 4-6 golds from Vishwanathan, Humpi and the cricketers - which were all rather irrelevant outside of the Asiad medal tally.

Like you said, some of the bronze medallists in asian events may prove to be contendors at the world level. It seems to that me the highest potential for a big improvement in the next two years may be with Deepika. The girl seems to be supremely talented, and seems to have pretty good mental strengths too. I don't know how much is the usual improvement in archers from age 16 to 18, but I can well see her breaking the Korean wall one of these days. Same with somebody like the young Santhosh, who ran into the most unbeatable fighter at the Asiad - though I didn't see his earlier fights to know what his potential is. Bronze winner Tintu, if she ever gets her act together like she did in Europe earlier this year, could be a contendor too. Then there are non-medallists like Saina who are Olympics medal contendors depending on when in the draw she runs into a top Chinese - to whom she is clearly second rung right now. Another is young Jauna Murmu in 400m, though I am unsure how much her times can change in the next two years.

Jay
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

True, all these youngsters can improve a lot in the next 2 years. Other non-medalists in Asian games liek both Archery teams also have lot of ptential to come up within top 3 in next 2 years ( In fact mens team is ranked within top 3 at this point of time.)

Again despite the setback, I still consider shooting as India's best chance for multiple medals at London. Apart from Gagan Narang & Ronjan Sodhi who are in top 5 ranked shooters in the world, there are others such as Abhinav Bindra & Manavjeet Singh who are currently out of form & can come roaring back into reckoning . ( as age is certainly in their side.) Also, some of the younger ones in shooting like Pistol shooter Heena Siddhu & double trap junior world champion Asher Nuria can make big improvements in 2 years.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The multipe page discussion on Tintu Lukka after Asiad has been moved now to the Indian Athletics thread. Mod, Jay.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

India's medal count just went up to 65 with Vikas Gowda getting the bronze in Mens Discus Throw after the silver medal winning Qatari got disqualified for using banned drugs.

http://www.hindu.com/2011/01/26/stories ... 672500.htm