Indian Sports Trusts Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Mittal Champions Trust Thread ...

Post by prasen9 »

Sure, Atithee.  In essence, if the investment makes the player better and his benefits (earnings + fame, etc.) are more than the costs, he or she would take it.  I am not begrudging them that.  I am just pointing out that they are different than agents, which, I guess everyone here knows, so I should shut up. 

I wonder why Bindra, with all his fortune, took their money.  It also depends upon how much help MCT are providing.  Bindras have a huge family fortune.  Maybe they were giving him more money support than 15% of what he expected to make.  Well guess what Mr. Bindra, now you are going to earn a heck of a lot more than what you expected to earn.  But, I guess he will not begrudge them the money now.  I guess it is hedging of some sorts.
Last edited by prasen9 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I will not be able to compare MCT with a sports agent unless I had the contract provided by both of them examined by a competent attorney.  Sports agents do not work equally hard for all players, and shooters, archers, Olympic style wrestlers and athletes in several sports may not find a lot of sponsorship with the help of a sports agents.  Based on my limited experience of working directly with a sports agency helping a young Indian tennis player, I found it pretty incompetent and unprofessional.

India is quite different because the people are starved for Olympic medals and Rathore could make a good sum of money in India for winning a silver medal.  Most shooters in USA who win Olympic gold medals get nothing for their efforts/performance. 

MCT has come up with a policy to help athletes at a premium set by them.  If Indian athlets can find a better bargain, they should go for it.   :D
Last edited by BSharma on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Mugu's point on the government "spending" most of money for sports as a contributor to our success is quite laughable.

First, the government is "spending" our money collected in taxes.  Last I checked most of the government initiatives lost money or choked up an industry under a monopoly (think about the state of our landline monopoly before the private sector opened up the  wireless world and the consequent improved communication is big reason why Indian businesses are better able to compete and deliver results).

Second, the government is India is largely responsible and "spends" most of the money for infrastructure, public health, education, sanitation, etc.  Any one who has traveled outside India would notice that all of these areas in India are decidedly third world quality (even marginal countries like Malaysia, Thailand etc. are far superior to us on this and comparing any Indian city to Beijing is like comparing a bullock cart to a Ferrari).

The point of all this is that the government "spends" the money in a manner that produces largely third rate results while primarily serving the petty pleasures of the bureaucrats and other office bearers who (and not the sportsmen especially the ones needing world class help) are the primary beneficiaries of this "spending." 

What the MCT seems to have done is spend (a relatively small sum compared to the government) on getting the world class help necessary for world class performance for a relatively small group rather than having bean counters and bureacrats create their conventional obstacles over a trivial sum (for any world class help), for example, in the Rick Charlesworth episode.  I think Jay's listing of how many of our top 8 performers came through with some help from the MCT is pretty telling. 

BTW, I do not know enough about their contracts and other terms to opine on whether they are good for talented athletes long term -- but someone who is wallowing in the clutches of the SAI has no chance of getting the world class support to excel at world class levels.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Actually, all of what you said in your post below your first line and Mugu's post is (most possibly) true.  Mugu claimed that the government spent a lot of money behind our athletes to help them and that is true.  None of what you said contradicts that.  The government should be helping the sportsmen (meaning sportspeople, but, that word is so weird, so I use sportsmen to include both men and women).  The govt have spent money unwisely and a private firm could have gotten more out of it; that is also true.
shaili

Post by shaili »

does the MCT also get 15% of cash awards announced by various govt. and private agencies for the 3 medal winners?  :wink:
shaili

Post by shaili »

Budget for Sports and Games - from Govt. of India
2007-08 Rs.603.58 crores
2008-09 Rs.781.83 crores

IIRC the MTC has spent about Rs.40 crores on their wards in the run-up to Beijing Olympics. Approx. 4 crores per athlete....though actuals may differ from sport to sport.

We keep talking about 'money' 'funding', govt, private etc. Can someone please give specifics of the amount of money being discussed? Only then the perspective will make sense. Right now we are looking at the whole thing in black and white. everyone has a role to play....we must point out what role is being played as per expectations and what are not.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I am amazed at how we have got soooo focussed on the money part of this.  MTC was set up to do something good, even if money was not taken off the equation.  I don't think Mittals wanted to make money off this.   They have much bigger businesses for that.  They would not want MTC to be just pure charity (as it shouldn't be, because that would be doomed to fail), from what I understand.

Does it matter to us fans how much money goes to Mittals and how much comes from the players?  Till the players complain MTC's ways, let them and MTC figure out what money equations are used.

Shouldn't we be trying to help in any way, by looking for (or discussing - which is all we do :) ) players/athletes who would be beneficial to be picked up by MTC.

Just my view.

Jay
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Interview with Amit Bhatia

The Steel In The Medals
How did you decide on setting up the Mittal Champions Trust?

My father-in-law and I always had great interest in Indian sport. At the Athens Olympics, watching the wrestling event, we started discussing the state of Indian sport—inadequate representation, lack of satisfactory results etc. We thought we should do something about it.

How do you look at the future?

When we set up MCT, the focus was on the 2012 London Olympics. That will be the real test. I'm confident that our boxers will win medals, as also some other athletes. We want a shift in thinking, we want our athletes to believe they can win at the highest level.

Any plans to identify raw talent at the grassroots level?

We're working with past athletes who're acting as talent scouts for us. We'll also explore setting up sports facilities, and devote time and whatever resources are required for it. These facilities could be used by not only our own athletes, but also by budding athletes at the grassroots level.

Are you looking at any returns, any intangibles?

Well, it's a personal enterprise, one man's vision. It's nothing to do with ArcelorMittal. We want no financial awards, the only intangibles we're looking for are results and pride in Indian sport.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Indian Sports Trusts Thread ...

Post by jaydeep »

Nice article about Olympic Gold Quest.

Quest for gold on right track
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Interesting initiative taken by OGQ (Olympic Gold Quest), they recently-launched programme called 'Power Your Champions' in attempts to involvement of country's sports fans.

Here is interview of OGQ Chief Operations Officer Viren Rasquinha about 'Power Your Champions' - Olympic Gold Quest has raised hope for Indian athletes

Anyone can donate online from OGQ site - Contribute to the cause
usaindian

Usha school gets Central aid for synthetic track

Post by usaindian »

Usha school gets Central aid for synthetic track

http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/ker ... 452760.ece
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Indian trap shooter Shagun Chowdhary, who qualified for the 2012 London Olympics, received a boost on Tuesday with Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ) funding her training.

Shagun Chowdhary - "I am confident of doing well at the Olympics and now with OGQ's support I am sure of putting up a good show at the Games."
Ankit Desai

Post by Ankit Desai »

jaydeep wrote:ndian trap shooter Shagun Chowdhary, who qualified for the 2012 London Olympics, received a boost on Tuesday with Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ) funding her training.

Shagun Chowdhary - "I am confident of doing well at the Olympics and now with OGQ's support I am sure of putting up a good show at the Games."
Any kind of support to prepare for Olympic is welcome. But isn't it too late !? I mean When OGQ talks about preparedness , systematic approach for training than how can any help just before 6 months will help an athlete to prepare !?

and same goes with IOA and NFs. Some how IOA always found samsung as sponsor just before the Olympic !? Why can't it be sponsor from olympic to olympic !?

-Ankit
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I think OGQ has been supporting a lot of them for quite a while, with early preparation - so we can't complain much about them. I think they decided to add one more. Can't hurt him for sure.... Jay
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote:I think OGQ has been supporting a lot of them for quite a while, with early preparation - so we can't complain much about them. I think they decided to add one more. Can't hurt him for sure.... Jay
Jay, it is her , not him. :D

These are the details from their website -

OGQ to support Trap Shooter Shagun Chowdhary

Yes, they have been supporting many athletes for almost 4 years & might have noticed Shagun's potential now after qualifying & have started supporting her.

Incidently , support for even a short period in a sport like shooting ( where our gap with world standards is not much) can be useful. Shagun is currently ranked 8th in her event & can certainly overperform on a given day to finish among medals. This is unlike sports such as Athletics where more long term support is required as gap against world standards is high.